Crime Warning Nassau & Freeport

cowboygene

www.the nassauguardian.com

Yesterday,the US Embassy in response to increasing crime has issued the warning which can be viewed on the Nassau Guardian website.

On our last two trips to Nassau, we got off the ship and went into the shopping center at the end of the pier, looked around and headed back to the ship.

On our first trip to Nassau, we caught a local bus and were going to get off and look at a beach, passengers got off the bus until my wife and I and a guy sitting in the back were the only ones left on the bus.

After a few miles, the driver stopped, went back and made the other passenger get off, he then told us that the guy in the back was waiting for to get off so he could rob us. The driver was great, he kept us on the bus and took us back to Nassau.

www.the nassauguardian.com

Yesterday,the US Embassy in response to increasing crime has issued the warning which can be viewed on the Nassau Guardian website.

On our last two trips to Nassau, we got off the ship and went into the shopping center at the end of the pier, looked around and headed back to the ship.

On our first trip to Nassau, we caught a local bus and were going to get off and look at a beach, passengers got off the bus until my wife and I and a guy sitting in the back were the only ones left on the bus.

After a few miles, the driver stopped, went back and made the other passenger get off, he then told us that the guy in the back was waiting for to get off so he could rob us. The driver was great, he kept us on the bus and took us back to Nassau.

This warning has been out for several months now. Some cruiselines are printing the same information in their daily planners. We were on a cruise where they gave us a separate memo the night before we arrived in Nassau warning everyone to be very careful and to not venture out of the tourist areas.

With all that's going on there I don't know why the ships continue to stop there.

I had heard that also.

There is a local lady on the Nassau boards, ScubaGirl, who repeatedly warns tourists to be careful! She said the local authorities are trying to make the locals understand that tourism is what they have to sell and all this is hurting their economy.

Sad to see things have not improved ,

Edited by GTO-Girl

I brought this up last year and there were several posters that said the buses were safe, especially over on the Nassau board. We opted not to take the bus, were in Nassau twice last year, and felt safe walking in the area within a few blocks of the ship. One can always debark and walk around Festivalplace. We walked to the Hilton the first time and our group split up doing the day pass and snorkeling with Blue Hole Watersports. The second time we walked to the Pirate Museum. There were so many people in this area. I didn't read the latest warning, but I would follow the recommendations there, stay in groups in well-traveled areas in daylight hours only.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well, I would be careful in any island port area but yeah, Nassau is getting progressively worse. They warn of wearing certain clothing and going to certain areas in places like Barbados, but as long as you stay on the beaten path, you are safe. I feel the line is crossed when it is no longer safe to even be in the general area that has always been considered safe for people to go to. Nassau is there now. I always thought it was a run-down old beat up area that people should use care when exploring but there are just too many stories of trouble coming from there now to ignore. Eight years ago I took an excursion that included a tour of the entire island (including the dangerous areas), and when we went through certain areas, we got looks that could kill from some of the locals. It was unnerving. I assume it is much worse now. Shame because New Providence does have a lot of beautiful things also. However, I always thought Freeport was a little nicer. Newer city and all, less population, etc but I guess it is getting bad there too. We did get a warning included in our funtimes when we visited Nassau last October about the crime problem in Nassau. It just goes back to the idea that you are responsible for your own safety and to always be aware of what is going on around you. Good street smarts go a long way towards that.

This warning has been out for several months now. Some cruiselines are printing the same information in their daily planners. We were on a cruise where they gave us a separate memo the night before we arrived in Nassau warning everyone to be very careful and to not venture out of the tourist areas.

With all that's going on there I don't know why the ships continue to stop there.

Because Carnival makes a lot of money from having its ships stop there. It is close to the US, has a lot of shopping, can take a lot of ships at once, and has a lot to do in terms of excursions. They are likely not going to abandon that gold mine anytime soon. Maybe they should work with the local authorities to make things a little safer in the cruise centered area but they are not going to leave a port just because there is some crime there.

The last time we were in Nassau, my DH fell and turned his ankle, we still got the bus, went to the Sheritan and had a good day. A wonderful cab driver took us back to the port, right to the door. My friends went a month later, and the wife fell and hurt her hip. Both have said they will never go back. This was our 4th time. I wish the cruise ships would just do HMC and LSC and leave the cities alone. I know it is for taxing, but I would be willing to pay taxes for the islands:)

My son and I are cruising to Nassau in 2 weeks as a stop on our Disney cruise. The crime warnings have me very concerned about getting off the ship. I almost reserved a day pass today for the Hilton but I'm glad I didn't - I am have serious second thoughts.

My son and I are cruising to Nassau in 2 weeks as a stop on our Disney cruise. The crime warnings have me very concerned about getting off the ship. I almost reserved a day pass today for the Hilton but I'm glad I didn't - I am have serious second thoughts.

You shouldn't have a problem with crime during the daytime in the tourist areas. Most issues problems occur either in the evenings, or to those who venture out of the area and off the beaten path.

The Hilton is a quick 5 minute walk along the bustling wharf, and is secure within its grounds as are other hotels with day passes.

Don't miss out on a great day on this beautiful island because of these warnings. Just stay in the main areas and with others visitors and you'll be fine.

I never Bring much cash with me when I goto ports. Usually just going to the beach when I'm on an island so I don't need much just enough to rent a chair and umbrella and maybe a drink or two. If someone wants to rob me for 30 dollars than they must really need the money. Be cautious any where you go that is foreign to you. Hell now a days you have to be careful just going to a mall in America!

I understand your concerns. A week and a half ago my 20 y.o. daughter and I were in the Bahamas on a cruise. I had read the State Dept. warnings prior to leaving and also wondered whether we should venture out on our own. But, we are not ones to stay on board while in port so decided to head out, making sure we returned to the ship before dark. We walked on our own to the Pirate's Museum, the National Gallery of Art, John Watling's Distillery, then back down the hill and past the Hilton to a restaurant for conch fritters before returning to port. We also made a quick pass through the straw market but did not purchase anything. (We had originally planned to go the the Fish Fry for conch fritters but it was too late to get there and back before sunset, so we did nix that). The scariest part of the day was the lack of sidewalks on some sections of busy roads.

As Scubagirl mentioned, the Hilton is very close to port on a main road and there are many people along that short stretch going to the Hilton, headed to Junkanoo Beach, shopping and eating in restaurants.

Edited by kccrzr

So glad I found this thread. I am traveling with two 16 year old girls and was gonna venture out to Melia Beach(Sheraton). I'm wondering if I should just bring them to the Hilton, since it's walking distance. I'm hoping it won't be too crowded. I am a little nervous about taking a bus or cab. :confused:

So glad I found this thread. I am traveling with two 16 year old girls and was gonna venture out to Melia Beach(Sheraton). I'm wondering if I should just bring them to the Hilton, since it's walking distance. I'm hoping it won't be too crowded. I am a little nervous about taking a bus or cab. :confused:

Melia is part of the tourist corridor.. there shouldn't be a problem with security. Melia would likely be a better fit for teens.

Hilton is nice, but it's quiet and relaxing. Not much to do.

Take a cab if you're that nervous. But the jitney would do just as well, and a lot cheaper.

Thanks everyone for helping to calm my fears! I was excited to find out about the Hilton just 2 days ago and would hate to lose out on a beautiful beach day. Our ship departs at 3:45 so I will definitely not be out after dark. I did reserve the day passes this morning.

I do have a quick question regarding the walk from the cruise ship terminal to the Hilton. I was there last March to do a excursion to the Atlatis. We walked out of the terminal area through a fence to the road to board a bus to the Atlantis. Is that the same sidewalk along the road that I would walk on to get to the Hilton or is there another path? Thanks again for all your help!

I just returned and was a bit alarmed as it was the first time the ship had a warning for Nassau since I started cruising. I took the #10 to the beach and the bus driver and locals seemed very friendly...even telling me which part of the beach I wanted to go to.

Never the less, it makes the private islands more attractive to the cruiseline as they can control your experience a bit more.

That's interesting; makes you wonder what all has happened- not that I want to know exactly. We have been told on all our Hawaii tours in rental cars to leave the doors unlocked but take all valuables. I guess they are tired of replacing windows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

We were just in Nassau January 4th of this year. Although we have been to Nassau many many times this time we decided to take a private tour. I am SO glad we did, our tour guide was Mario and he went to college and worked in the US for several years and then came back to Nassau. He was very very nice and we felt 100% safe with him at all times! My husband asked him flat out what was with the warnings about increased crime, he told us that indeed there has been an increase in crime mostly gang members against gang members over drugs, very few with robberies with tourist or locals. I am so glad we did the private tour, if anyone would like his contact info please email me @ megator2@aol.com and I would be happy to share it with you. We asked for one of his business cards when he dropped us off at the pier.

We even went out again at night after Formal dinner on the boat , took a taxi to Atlantis and another back at 2am, we did not feel unsafe at all but I am sure plenty of situations could happen anytime and anywhere on the island so I would say stick to a tour that somebody has already used here on cruise critic like ourselves! Better safe then sorry!

yes just turn right and go to Senor Frogs go left and up around the corner you will see it on your right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I just wanted to be sure I was heading in the right direction.

You shouldn't have a problem with crime during the daytime in the tourist areas. Most issues problems occur either in the evenings, or to those who venture out of the area and off the beaten path.

The Hilton is a quick 5 minute walk along the bustling wharf, and is secure within its grounds as are other hotels with day passes.

Don't miss out on a great day on this beautiful island because of these warnings. Just stay in the main areas and with others visitors and you'll be fine.

We were in Nassau a few months ago and we absolutely loved it! We're going to be there next weekend and our ship will be in port overnight. Any suggestions for nightime activities that won't be too risky? The only negative to our first trip was the rude staff at Senor Frogs, so we likely won't be going there. If you have recommendations for any other places, I would greatly appreciate it.