Crossing pacific from Hawaii to YVR

jgreenwo17

DW and I will be crossing the pacific ocean north bound from Hawaii to Vancouver, BC in early May. I'm not sure what to expect weather wise, (how cold), and how heavy the seas can get that time of year.

I'm sure there are a lot of you experienced cruisers out there that can help us better prepare for the 5 sea "daze" aboard Solstice coming home to the mainland.

Thanks!

Jack and Jill

Edited by jgreenwo17

Hi,

It's been a number of years since we did this sailing (visiting the Islands, then crossing to Vancouver), but we loved it.

While May can be exceedingly hard to predict, I think your best bet is to plan for transitioning from warm to cool.

On our crossing the first three of days out from Hawaii were beautifully warm and delightful. But by the end of the 3rd day there was a cooling coming, and the last full day at sea was cool enough there weren't many out using the pools and open deck spaces. It was still nice enough to walk the decks, but if one sat in a deck chair you needed to be in more than a swimsuit.

Given the way weather patterns seem to be in flux in 2014 it's anyone's guess what you'll encounter this coming May.

Have a great time and enjoy all this ship has to offer during those wonderful days at sea.

CM

Hi, haven't done the Hawaii to YVR but last spring we did San Diego/Hawaii return. For the five day return trip the winds were very strong and the temp. very cool. as a matter of fact we were late arriving San Diego due to the wind and heavy seas. Hope you have better conditions.

We did this cruise a couple of years ago. It started getting cooler the day after we left the islands. The first day was okay but each day got progressively cooler and by day 3 we were cloudy and/or rainy. That's not to say that you'll have the same weather. Also remember I'm from South Texas so what's cold to me may be a sunny day in the park to others. But it was about 50 degrees and rainy when we docked.

Sherry

DW and I will be crossing the pacific ocean north bound from Hawaii to Vancouver, BC in early May. I'm not sure what to expect weather wise, (how cold), and how heavy the seas can get that time of year.

I'm sure there are a lot of you experienced cruisers out there that can help us better prepare for the 5 sea "daze" aboard Solstice coming home to the mainland.

Thanks!

Jack and Jill

There is quite a large roll call for this cruise at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1631316

Vancouver can be coolish and wet in May, but as has been said, you just can't predict the weather. I would pack an umbrella if you plan on a few days here post cruise, just in case. On the other hand, it has been as high as 12C (53.6F) here this January and we set a record of 15 days without rain. No snow at all so far this year. Weather seems weird in many places. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by YVR cruiser

We did the five day Hilo to Vancouver on the Radiance of the Seas several years ago. We had four /cloudy/windy/cool days and one absolutely gorgeous day. Upper deck activities were restricted due to the wind across the deck.