Which is closer to Mauna Kea? Waikoloa Village or Kailua-Kona?

mikeerdas

Thought it might be better to break this out as a separate post.

Which Kona-side Marriott hotel is closer to Mauna Kea? The Marriott Waikoloa or Courtyard King K? They both seem to be about equidistant and both routes, I believe, take Saddle Road. That being said, if I choose to do an excursion (for night time astronomy), is one hotel closer to excursion pickups than the other?

Also, which Marriott hotel's beach has better snorkeling, the Waikoloa or the Courtyard King K?

Finally, if I wanted to take one *very* long day trip to Puna to see the tide pools, black sand beach, and some of the thermal features, would beginning the journey from one hotel be any better than the other?

I know the "best" answer is probably to "Stay in Hilo." But the hotels I can stay at are on the Kona side. Also want to fit in a visit to a coffee plantation. Will be on the Big Island four nights total. Already staying two of the four at the Hilton Waikoloa Village.

Don't know what the noise situation is, but would also prefer a hotel that is more sedate, e.g. light sleeper. Would there be a lot of traffic noise staying at the Courtyard King K? The obvious answer seems like it would be "Yes" but thought I'd ask anyway--you never know. :-)

Decided to book at the Marriott Waikoloa--rate was similar to the Courtyard King G and thought it may be more quiet than in town.

Still interested in folks' opinions on the differences between the two properties, proximity to Mauna Kea, etc.

Good choice of the two - I haven't stayed at either, but much prefer the Kohala Coast to Kailua Kona (Marriot Waikoloa is on the Kohala Coast in the same resort as the Hilton.)

The Waikoloa Resort is closer to Mauna Kea.

I'm not sure about snorkelling at the Waikoloa Resort, but there will be good snorkelling beaches within a short drive. The beach at the Courtyard in Kailua Kona would be just OK for swimming.

You haven't included the biggest attraction on the BI in your plans (Volcanoes National Park) ... or will you be stopping in Hilo on a cruise and doing it from there?

Edited by Susan-M

Good choice of the two - I haven't stayed at either, but much prefer the Kohala Coast to Kailua Kona (Marriot Waikoloa is on the Kohala Coast in the same resort as the Hilton.)

The Waikoloa Resort is closer to Mauna Kea.

I'm not sure about snorkelling at the Waikoloa Resort, but there will be good snorkelling beaches within a short drive. The beach at the Courtyard in Kailua Kona would be just OK for swimming.

You haven't included the biggest attraction on the BI in your plans (Volcanoes National Park) ... or will you be stopping in Hilo on a cruise and doing it from there?

Thanks Susan!

Visited Volcanoes NP while in port at Hilo back in 2006. This is an overland-only trip. Back story is that on a 6 night trip to Oahu with friends not too long ago, my wife and I considered taking an overnight trip to BI / Kona. Thanks to CC, decided that would be far too rushed. Now we'll have 4 nights dedicated to BI / Kona. Some might say that would be too little, but I'd disagree. Once did a very long day trip to Death Valley while staying in Vegas. Some said don't do it--but we got up at 5am, returned before dinner, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. I like to get even a taste of a place so I'd know if I'd ever like to go back. Would love to go back to Death Valley some day to see more of it.

Ideally, the Highlight of this particular trip will be a trip up Mauna Kea to visit the observatory (the one open to the public before you get to the summit). Recall it being said appropriate conditions for star gazing are hit or miss. We'll see what happens. But the other highlights would be snorkeling in Kona, visiting one coffee plantation, and, if able to squeeze it in, possibly doing One Very Long DayTrip to the Hilo side, taking in one waterfall and possibly the tidepools / thermal features at Puna. Again, some would say that's too much. On the other hand, don't know when I'll be back to the BI.

Hope the Kona coffee plantations aren't anything like the Dole Plantation on Oahu (seemed to be lots of pushy vendors and had a bad vibe to it). If I could visit only one coffee plantation, what would you, or others, recommend?

Hi Mike,

The Visitor's Centre (VIS) at Mauna Kea is where the star gazing program is (the observatories are at the summit and that's where the tours go - e.g. with Hawaii Forest & Trail). We drove to the VIS on our own and were impressed by the star gazing program (we drove from the Kohala Coast and per the advice on Tripadvisor, it is better to go from the west side rather than from Hilo, so you are good with that.)

Greenwell's Coffee Plantation does a really good tour, and not pushy at all. We found it very interesting, and you can enjoy the free coffee tasting before/afterwards without any pressure to purchase anything, although we wanted to buy some and liked their products. A good place to combine with a trip to that area is Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park.

The tidepools get bad press on Tripadvisor because of the bacteria levels in them (poor or non-existent sanitary sewers) - if you are thinking of swimming in them, I would check into it a bit further.

We didn't go to Puna or the black sand beach, although we spent 4 days in Volcano exploring VNP and other east side sites during 2 week stay on the BI last March/April.

If you decide against the trip all the way to the east side, you might want to go to Pololu Valley and/or Waipio Valley for spectacular views into the valleys. There's a short hike at Pololu that goes down to the ocean (but hazardous swimming there.)

Enjoy!

Susan

Edited by Susan-M

Personally, I prefer to stay in Kona town at the King Kam, but the Waikoloa Marriott will shave about 30 minutes off of your drive to Mauna Kea and over to Puna. I prefer staying in town because you can walk to all the restaurants, etc. that town has to offer. The King Kam is a great location in the middle of everything. Out in Waikoloa, your dining options are fewer and most require driving. But, I would never turn down a chance to stay at the Waikoloa Marriott;);) It is a beautiful property!

I used to stay at the Marriott Waikoloa before it was the Marriott. I loved that place. It is a good place to snorkel, has a very nice real bearch (not the fake kind like they had to do next-door at the Hilton) and close to Hapuna beach for excellent bodysurfing and more snorkeling. There is also some very good snorkeling a tad further up at the beach in front of the Mauna Kea hotel.

The ex and I did a evening stargazing excursion from Waikoloa years ago. I have no idea about the company, but booked it at the hotel. Small van, 6 of us. Drove up from the Waikoloa side. Went up before sunset. Stopped at the small visitor's center (pre-Onizuka) to use the facilities. Drove up to the top. Driver provided parkas and gloves - they were needed (In October). Watched the sunset (amazing), stayed and watched some of the observatories open up. Went in side one of them - a big deal for the ex. Drove down a little lower and our driver set up a nice amateur telescope and we spent quite a bit of time looking at the different constellations and having a snack of some sandwiches and hot cocoa.

If you can do it, absolutely do it!!!

Oh, there is actually a Waikoloa Village, but it is a little up the hill from Waikoloa Resort. It is a residential area, but it will be the closest supermarket for you. A little further up the coast, then inland is Waimea Village (or Kamuela). A supermarket, and one of the best restaurants I've dined at (Merriman's). Keep on the coast road and go up to Kawaihae for some more good restaurants (Cafe Pesto among them). Drive up a little further up the coast to Hawi. Check into "Flumin' da Ditch" if they have it going - that was a very fun float in rubber kayaks through the old sugar plantation canals, ending up with a nice swim in a hidden pond!

Edited by slidergirl

Thanks so much Kapoho and Slidergirl! Sounds like I made the right decision. Will definitely be printing out your recommendations and taking them with me.

I used to stay at the Marriott Waikoloa before it was the Marriott. I loved that place. It is a good place to snorkel, has a very nice real bearch (not the fake kind like they had to do next-door at the Hilton) and close to Hapuna beach for excellent bodysurfing and more snorkeling. There is also some very good snorkeling a tad further up at the beach in front of the Mauna Kea hotel.

The ex and I did a evening stargazing excursion from Waikoloa years ago. I have no idea about the company, but booked it at the hotel. Small van, 6 of us. Drove up from the Waikoloa side. Went up before sunset. Stopped at the small visitor's center (pre-Onizuka) to use the facilities. Drove up to the top. Driver provided parkas and gloves - they were needed (In October). Watched the sunset (amazing), stayed and watched some of the observatories open up. Went in side one of them - a big deal for the ex. Drove down a little lower and our driver set up a nice amateur telescope and we spent quite a bit of time looking at the different constellations and having a snack of some sandwiches and hot cocoa.

If you can do it, absolutely do it!!!

Oh, there is actually a Waikoloa Village, but it is a little up the hill from Waikoloa Resort. It is a residential area, but it will be the closest supermarket for you. A little further up the coast, then inland is Waimea Village (or Kamuela). A supermarket, and one of the best restaurants I've dined at (Merriman's). Keep on the coast road and go up to Kawaihae for some more good restaurants (Cafe Pesto among them). Drive up a little further up the coast to Hawi. Check into "Flumin' da Ditch" if they have it going - that was a very fun float in rubber kayaks through the old sugar plantation canals, ending up with a nice swim in a hidden pond!

• 2 months later...

If I decide to book an excursion from Kona to Mauna Kea for stargazing--because people have said driving down the Saddle Road at night from Mauna Kea is or feels dangerous--who would folks recommend for tour operators? What should I expect to pay? And are any discounts available?

Hawaii Forest and Trail comes to mind. I see their vans on the Saddle Road often. The vans look newer and in good shape. I have heard good things about them. I just looked and it will probably be about $200 per person. This tour is on my bucket list!

Hawaii Forest and Trail comes to mind. I see their vans on the Saddle Road often. The vans look newer and in good shape. I have heard good things about them. I just looked and it will probably be about $200 per person. This tour is on my bucket list!

Thanks Kapoho. Trying now to decide, if we can only afford one tour on the Big Island, to do the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour over Kilauea or the Mauna Kea one--the former being at least USD $250/pp.

Hope you get a chance to do the Mauna Kea tour and thanks!

Last trip to the big island we took the saddle road up and over, would NEVER do this at night. Let the professionals do it. We stayed at the Marriot and my DH loved the beach at A-bay. Some turtles and some fish, it is salt and pepper sand ( not rock) and the hotel has fun toys to rent on the beach. A great infinity pool and a pool with a beach, great for kids. We had a lunch at Manago hotel and it was a great find and breakfast at Daves ( next to the post office) We traveled all over the island and are glad we stayed at the Marriot for the central location. If you think you want to go to VNP check, because the road is closed beyond Jagear Museum. Great views, but different than your last trip. Go north on the coast from Waikola great views and Tex's for Malasada. Wow, sorry most of this post is about food !