Is my time dining a different dress code?

We have been wondering if we have misunderstood the MTD dress code as we thought it was the same as the normal traditional time dress code. We are currently on Radiance and have been a bit shocked to see t-shirts with printed slogans, camouflage shorts and baseball caps worn at the tables around us. Personally I thought nobody ever wears a baseball cap at the dinner table, but if the dress code has dropped that far I can save myself a lot of packing. Formal night has been of a pretty low standard also.

I am thinking of walking around and taking photos but it has been so widespread that I wanted to check with the knowledge base here on the forum before formally giving RCI feedback on this issue.

Actually there is no enforced dress code. We've recently been on the Freedom and the Allure and had MTD. I never saw much besides shorts and sun dresses -- mostly shorts. Even blue jean shorts. No one was ever turned away. Some people go on a cruise "vacation" and don't want to dress up. I think the cruise ships recognize this, and while they recommend a certain "dress" policy, it is not enforced. Come as you are seems to be the rule - though you cannot wear a bathing suit, of course!

Actually there is no enforced dress code.

But there is a published dress code. People that are new to the line or new cruisers have no reason to expect that people will not dress accordingly.

I don't really care what the dress code is or what people around me wear. But, I do think if you are requested to dress a particular way, you comply.

In my 10 plus cruises with Royal Caribbean, I haven't noticed many people at all that don't make some sort of effort. I'm sure they were there, I just didn't notice.

The evening dress code suggestion is still enforced, at times, on Voyager of the Seas. I found that out one night on my last cruise after rocking up to the MDR (My Time Dining) in shorts. Silly me forgot to change into long pants after rushing back onboard from a late shore excursion to make the dinner reservation :o:eek:.

A topic of many posts. We were on Oasis in Sep. and we saw t-shirts with jeans on Formal Night. Mostly young people, and many guys "went formal" by wearing a collard shirt with their blue jeans. Not tucked in, mind you, wouldn't want to make too much effort, but at least it wasn't a T-shirt (sorry, old age).

IMHO we are rapidly "dumbing down" as a society. I know, I know, "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want." I get it. But, for me, there was a nice "sophistication" to Formal Night. As for casual nights, it's a nice restaurant serving gourmet meals (or attempting too). It would be nice to not "grundge up" all the time (as I said, I'm getting old and probably a bit grumpy). I hate the end of all traditions. I like the "cruise experience." Putting long pants and a collared shirt on for dinner isn't really that much of an inconvenience. Or, if you want to dress like you are going to a buffet, go to the buffet (bet I get flamed for that one).

Oh, just for the record, nothing ruins my cruise. I don't care what you wear. I do care how you act, but not what you wear. But I do think how people dress affects their behavior. On Formal Night, people, while dressed up, just seem to "act the part" and be in a "classy" and good mood, having fun emulating the days of "first class."

We did have a table one time of about 10-12 who all wore "tux" t-shirts on both Formal Nights. Cute....sorta... but not the second time. Then it was a "gee... been there, done that" moment. And they were seated 2 tables away from the Captain. I think they were surprised they weren't invited to dine with the Capt. Guess he didn't quite get their sense of humor.

We always dress up on formal nights and when this dress code is enforced the ship seems to take on a rather special and magical air. We will be quite disappointed if folk don't join in the fun of a formal night on our forthcoming RCI cruise. :)

We have been wondering if we have misunderstood the MTD dress code as we thought it was the same as the normal traditional time dress code. We are currently on Radiance and have been a bit shocked to see t-shirts with printed slogans, camouflage shorts and baseball caps worn at the tables around us. Personally I thought nobody ever wears a baseball cap at the dinner table, but if the dress code has dropped that far I can save myself a lot of packing. Formal night has been of a pretty low standard also.

I am thinking of walking around and taking photos but it has been so widespread that I wanted to check with the knowledge base here on the forum before formally giving RCI feedback on this issue.

Why do I not believe that it is widespread and furthermore why would you care enough to go around taking pictures of people? Just enjoy those you're with and as long as everyone has their parts covered don't worry what others do.

RCCL does not have a mandatory dress code it's only a Suggested Guideline and states that on it's website. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

I don't care what people wear but I think it is naive to believe that "suggested" means "come as you are". The reality is, you are being asked to dress a certain way.

If they don't care what adults wear, why would they care what children wear? It seems to me that they are requesting that parents insure that their kids follow the "guidelines" as well.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

I'm 65 and hubby is 68. On the Oasis of the Seas last March, we stayed OUT of the MDR on Formal night, as we don't like dressing up. The next night our main waiter asked where we had been the night before. We told him we had no formal wear with us and his response was (paraphrasing) "That doesn't matter! You should have come." So, though formal wear is suggested, it is by no means a necessity--at least it wasn't on the Oasis last spring. Personally I don't go on vacation to dress up. If I wanted to dress formal, I'd go to a dress ball or something. Society isn't "dumbing down," we are simply doing what is comfortable for us. Times, they are a changing...

Edited by Sharon Sails

Just enjoy those you're with and as long as everyone has their parts covered don't worry what others do.

Why should "parts" be covered? Isn't it my vacation? What if I don't like wearing clothes?

The point is that many people scoff at dress codes, or claim to not understand why people care, but then reveal that they too believe in a dress code of sorts.

So it's not a question of whether a line should be drawn, but where said line should be drawn.

And it's a question of following society's customs and mores, even if one does not understand or agree.

Example I don't understand why people care about topless sunbathing, but they do, so I wouldn't do it (if I was a woman that is!) I don't understand why Americans care about speedos in older fluffier men like me, but they do, so I leave my speedos at home and wear the bathing suit that practically comes down to my knees.

So be careful who's customs and culture you ignore, lest you find yours ignored as well, and then have no leg to stand on when you complain.

I'm 65 and hubby is 68. On the Oasis of the Seas last March, we stayed OUT of the MDR on Formal night, as we don't like dressing up. The next night our main waiter asked where we had been the night before. We told him we had no formal wear with us and his response was (paraphrasing) "That doesn't matter! You should have come." So, though formal wear is suggested, it is by no means a necessity--at least it wasn't on the Oasis last spring. Personally I don't go on vacation to dress up. If I wanted to dress formal, I'd go to a dress ball or something. Society isn't "dumbing down," we are simply doing what is comfortable for us. Times, they are a changing...

I agree that times are changing and we've cruised lines that have no formal evenings. And sometimes we opt for dining venues that don't have "formal" nights.

What I don't understand - and I really hope is not a sign of the times - is ignoring a request to dress a certain way. When we are asked to dress a certain way for an event, we comply. We don't ask ourselves what the bare minimum is to be allowed through the door.

on our grandeur cruise a few months ago, we saw the head waiter approach a few people, including someone at our own table about wearing shorts. T-shirts didn't seem to be the problem as our table mate was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. He was specifically asked not to wear shorts.

IMHO we are rapidly "dumbing down" as a society. I know, I know, "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want." I get it. But, for me, there was a nice "sophistication" to Formal Night. As for casual nights, it's a nice restaurant serving gourmet meals (or attempting too). It would be nice to not "grundge up" all the time (as I said, I'm getting old and probably a bit grumpy). I hate the end of all traditions. I like the "cruise experience." Putting long pants and a collared shirt on for dinner isn't really that much of an inconvenience. Or, if you want to dress like you are going to a buffet, go to the buffet (bet I get flamed for that one).

Oh, just for the record, nothing ruins my cruise. I don't care what you wear. I do care how you act, but not what you wear. But I do think how people dress affects their behavior. On Formal Night, people, while dressed up, just seem to "act the part" and be in a "classy" and good mood, having fun emulating the days of "first class."

I agree with you Papaflamingo. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy as well.:)

I think what some people sometimes miss is that etiquette is about making other people feel comfortable, not about following rules or being right. It's about making other people feel welcome and wanted and appreciated -- that's good manners. So if people at your table have gone to the trouble to dress for dinner, they might now feel a little uncomfortable or even foolish because other people around them haven't. When everyone abides by the same recommended policy, no one will have to feel like that. I don't really like dressing up, but I do it at parties and weddings and funerals and on cruises out of respect for other people.

If you are the kind of person who doesnt care what other people think about you that's cool, but please understand not everyone is like that or wants to be like that. In reality, good manners are optional, so kudos and thanks to all who use them -- you make the world a nicer place to be.

I think what some people sometimes miss is that etiquette is about making other people feel comfortable, not about following rules or being right. It's about making other people feel welcome and wanted and appreciated -- that's good manners. So if people at your table have gone to the trouble to dress for dinner, they might now feel a little uncomfortable or even foolish because other people around them haven't. When everyone abides by the same recommended policy, no one will have to feel like that. I don't really like dressing up, but I do it at parties and weddings and funerals and on cruises out of respect for other people.

If you are the kind of person who doesnt care what other people think about you that's cool, but please understand not everyone is like that or wants to be like that. In reality, good manners are optional, so kudos and thanks to all who use them -- you make the world a nicer place to be.

Formal Night is not about "manners" or "respect", but about choice. There is a dress suggestion because it is in reality a theme night - participation is not mandatory or required. If one chooses not to wear a flowered shirt on "Caribbean Night", are they then restricted from dining in the MDR? I suppose though that all the men who chose to wear flowered shirts would then be offended.... :rolleyes:

Formal Night is not about "manners" or "respect", but about choice. There is a dress suggestion because it is in reality a theme night - participation is not mandatory or required. If one chooses not to wear a flowered shirt on "Caribbean Night", are they then restricted from dining in the MDR? I suppose though that all the men who chose to wear flowered shirts would then be offended.... :rolleyes:

Hey there, CruiseToby :) I didnt say anyone would be offended -- I said they might feel a little uncomfortable or even foolish. And yes, to be honest, I think if someone dressed up in a flowered shirt on Caribbean night and no one else at his table did, that dude might feel a bit uncomfortable. Wouldn't you feel a little silly if you went to a costume party and you were the only one in a costume? I would!

It's a suggestion or a recommendation, sure. Agreed it is a choice (it's a cruise not prison after all ;)), but what each of us chooses to do may affect others, is all I am saying. So for me, the recommendation and choice you mention has everything to do with manners and respect. Just to clarify.

I've never been bothered by dressing for formal night, I won't be wearing a black suit on any other night but I tend to wear a button down (tucked in) and a blazer to every meal. I guess I'm just used eating in suits from being a member of a social club where that is required dress.

To each their own though but it does class it up a bit if everyone is dressed nice instead of their best Metallica t-shirt.

This is what I posted in my review of my Freedom cruise this past October

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses, pants suits

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table (Yes on Formal Night). The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR as no one was put out for not following the suggested wear.

Edited by bigque

You keep pulling this theme night thing, it's just not true. A dress code is not a theme night. This is not how society regards it. Whether it's a party, or a wedding, or an upscale restaurant, a dress code is a dress code. If I show up at a funeral wearing shorts and flip-flops, I don't think anyone would buy the "it's just a theme night" argument.

And technically yes it's a "suggestion," just as it's "suggested" not to fart or pick your nose at dinner, but is not actually against the rules.

I agree with the above posters, is a sad commentary on today's society that people won't dress properly, and just don't seem to care about customs, mores, or other people as much as they used to. And that so say they won't do something unless they're forced to. What happened to behaving well and being courteous to others voluntarily? Does everything have to be a "rule?"

You keep pulling this theme night thing, it's just not true. A dress code is not a theme night. This is not how society regards it. Whether it's a party, or a wedding, or an upscale restaurant, a dress code is a dress code. If I show up at a funeral wearing shorts and flip-flops, I don't think anyone would buy the "it's just a theme night" argument.

And technically yes it's a "suggestion," just as it's "suggested" not to fart or pick your nose at dinner, but is not actually against the rules.

I agree with the above posters, is a sad commentary on today's society that people won't dress properly, and just don't seem to care about customs, mores, or other people as much as they used to. And that so say they won't do something unless they're forced to. What happened to behaving well and being courteous to others voluntarily? Does everything have to be a "rule?"

Tomato, Tom-ah-to.

Please explain why you feel it is not a theme night? RCI and the waitstaff don't seem to care if you are in a tux or not, so why do you feel that such attire is mandatory? If one wants to dress up on formal night, that is their option, but it is not a requirement in any way. What "society" deems as acceptable is irrelevant. What is accepted by the host is all that matters. Passengers have no right to foist what they feel is mandatory on those who happen to have a different viewpoint.

By the way, formal is the theme of the evening, otherwise it would be required every night, no?

Hey there, CruiseToby :) I didnt say anyone would be offended -- I said they might feel a little uncomfortable or even foolish. And yes, to be honest, I think if someone dressed up in a flowered shirt on Caribbean night and no one else at his table did, that dude might feel a bit uncomfortable. Wouldn't you feel a little silly if you went to a costume party and you were the only one in a costume? I would!

It's a suggestion or a recommendation, sure. Agreed it is a choice (it's a cruise not prison after all ;)), but what each of us chooses to do may affect others, is all I am saying. So for me, the recommendation and choice you mention has everything to do with manners and respect. Just to clarify.

Thanks for the reasonable reply, mac! And I appreciate your points. As evidenced by RCI's indifference to the formal dress suggestion, each one has the option to participate or not. While some passengers may be disappointed by their choice, it is not their decision to make.

Edited by CruiseTobey

Tomato, Tom-ah-to.

Please explain why you feel it is not a theme night? RCI and the waitstaff don't seem to care if you are in a tux or not, so why do you feel that such attire is mandatory? If one wants to dress up on formal night, that is their option, but it is not a requirement in any way. What "society" deems as acceptable is irrelevant. What is accepted by the host is all that matters. Passengers have no right to foist what they feel is mandatory on those who happen to have a different viewpoint.

By the way, formal is the theme of the evening, otherwise it would be required every night, no?

Look no one ever agrees on this, or many other issues.

Here's how I see it, simply.

You know, albeit don't understand, that many people are unhappy if you show up too casual, so doing so is a selfish act.

Having said that, it's VERY important to be clear that I'm not in any way suggesting that you are a bad person. I'm sure you're generous and unselfish in other ways. No one is perfect, I'll admit to doing things on cruises that I know bother people because it was convenient for me.

So I think life would be simpler, and we'd save gigabytes of data on CC's server, if we all stop trying to justify bad behavior by all sorts of convoluted nit-picky lawyerly (no offense) arguments. Simply call it what it is, accept that we all do it to a greater or lesser extent, and move on.

Deal?

Edited by DrD