Is my time dining a different dress code?

For the record, I'd not trust those feelings of yours... LOL ;)

Also, I don't think anyone - certainly not me - has said the rules are enforced by the passenger, so you might want to throw that red herring overboard. :)

There is a dress code, and "demands" is your word - no, you won't find the word "demands" within the dress code, nor within the supermarket express lane rule - but they are codes or rules nonetheless.

An observation -- it appears you DO live by your signature! :cool:

Ahahaha you make me laugh. How do you get that there is a dress code from a suggested guideline??

You should really learn to relax and not let what others are wearing affect you so much. Times, they are a changing. I think CruiseTobey has you pegged.

Times might not be changing so quickly. My son and several of his friends just took a New Year's Eve cruise on the Serenade. Based on what I read here, I told them they'd be fine with khakis and long sleeve shirts for dinner.

They looked at me like I was crazy. No way were they not dressing up for formal night and they all took suits. Go figure. Must be how he was raised :)

Honestly, I think my son learned years ago that dressing up is a sign of respect for the staff, other diners, and your traveling companions. I really don't care if someone dresses up but I certainly do understand why people do.

There is a dress code.............but they are codes or rules nonetheless.

There is NOT a "dress code" on RCI ships. The ONLY rules are no shorts, caps, etc for dinner and even those are unevenly enforced across the fleet.

Im not sure what part of all that you are having trouble comprehending :confused:

Edited by ryano

Also, I don't think anyone - certainly not me - has said the rules are enforced by the passenger, so you might want to throw that red herring overboard. :)

There is a dress code, and "demands" is your word - no, you won't find the word "demands" within the dress code, nor within the supermarket express lane rule - but they are codes or rules nonetheless.

I follow all ship board rules - no booze smuggling, no smoking on balconies, no taking food off the ship, etc. These rules are clearly spelled out in the cruise contract I sign as part of the embarkation procedure. Some try to skirt those rules - that's on them, I don't care.

Shockingly, the "rule" to participate in formal night is nowhere to be found on the cruise contract - yet it is suggested in the Cruise Compass. I don't recall having to sign that...

So you see, I DO adhere to my signature! :D

Edited by CruiseTobey

I don't wear a tux on formal nights but I bring 1 suit (Light or dark- depends on what I chose) and two shirts and two ties and we dress on formal night because we want to not because we "HAVE to". With that said it is clearly posted in the daily compass what the "Suggested" attire is for each night and even formal night was listed as "Suggested". As I wrote in my Freedom review, there was folks dress in all types of attire on every night (See my review) and noone was getting turned around, even on formal night! The only problem I had with anyone was a guy at a table accross from us wearing a baseball cap at the table every night and a dirty and tattered one at that. I just believe wearing a hat at the table is just not having good manners, as far a how anyone was dressed other than that, we really didn't care!

There is NOT a "dress code" on RCI ships. The ONLY rules are no shorts, caps, etc for dinner and even those are unevenly enforced across the fleet.

Im not sure what part of all that you are having trouble comprehending :confused:

It is referred to as a dress code on Royal Caribbean's site...plus they go on to specify...

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Nowhere does it imply "optional". Anyone cruising for the first time would have no way of knowing that the dress code is not enforced.

And...

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

I will totally agree with you in that it is not an enforced dress code. But I don't agree that it doesn't exist.

I will totally agree with you in that it is not an enforced dress code. But I don't agree that it doesn't exist.

An unenforced dress code is really not a dress code at all. RCI simply does not care as long as what people wear is within reason. Adam himself has as much said so in other words. He freely admits that times are changing.

As far as the "you'll need" statement on their website. How many jackets have you seen on smart casual night? Those are nothing more than suggestions. :)

In no way is it inconsiderate or showing bad manners to show up on formal night in khakis and a polo shirt. As for me, Ill be in a tux but I dont care what you wear as long as you wear something :)

It is referred to as a dress code on Royal Caribbean's site...plus they go on to specify...

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Nowhere does it imply "optional". Anyone cruising for the first time would have no way of knowing that the dress code is not enforced.

And...

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Those are interesting observations that I had not considered - thanks.

The issue as I see it lies in enforcement. RCL has adjusted their standards, and they can't reverse it now. I'm not so sure that it is RCL that has lowered it standards, or if they are simply evolving to accommodate the change in society. Some may not like what they see, but there is little one can do to stop it. It's much better just to roll with it.

Per the RCCL website.

"Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women"

It goes on to say...

"For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men."

Then this...

"Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner."

And finally this....

"Onshore attire...

You'll need comfortable walking shoes, as well as a hat and sunscreen for protection from the sun." I'm required to have comfortable walking shoes, a hat and sunscreen? WTH!

The word "code" is nowhere to be seen. In this case, I believe the word "need" refers to a suggestion from the company, not a requirement.

Those are interesting observations that I had not considered - thanks.

The issue as I see it lies in enforcement.

Exactly. In fairness to new cruisers, I think they should make it much clearer on the website that there is not an enforced dress code and that one can dress up if they choose. Or, make every night "smart casual" or some variation and have some reasonable level of enforcement.

Personally, I don't care what the dress code is. But, as is, it is really misleading to new cruisers.

Per the RCCL website.

The word "code" is nowhere to be seen. In this case, I believe the word "need" refers to a suggestion from the company, not a requirement.

As others have pointed out, RCI DOES refer to it as a dress code. The only reason "code is nowhere to be seen" is that you cut that part out of the part you quoted - its right above your partial quote on the website.

For the record, I'm not saying everyone should be in tuxes, or even in suits. Nice slacks and a collared shirt don't bother me in the least, although I'll be more dressed than that. But as MANY have said, the ones showing up in shorts, t-shirts, ball caps and flip flops are certainly beyond any reasonable accomodation for being in the main dining room - even on non-formal nights, but especially then.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Per the RCCL website, here are some rules (as opposed to suggestions).

"Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages"

Ah, but RCI disagrees with you, and I think what they say counts for more than what you say... ;)

From the FAQ on the RCI website itself: "Q: What are the dress codes onboard?"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

So if there's NOT a dress code, rather strange that they have a FAQ about the dress code, huh? ;)

The word "code" comes from the individuals that are asking the question. Code is not used in the response from RCCL.

LOL, really? Both the questions and the answers on the RCI website are supplied by RCI. :rolleyes:

LGW,

So what you're saying is that RCCL asks and answers their own questions? If it's a frequently asked question (FAQ), are they asking themselves the same question over and over?

The word "code" comes from the individuals that are asking the question. Code is not used in the response from RCCL.

Not sure what the relevance really is? Does "requested attire" have to be designated as a "code"? Does the word "code" somehow make it mandatory?

Edited by galavant3

Not sure what the relevance really is? Does "requested attire" have to be designated as a "code"? Does the word "code" somehow make it mandatory?

Because several users are fond of using the word "code" to make their argument. If there was a true "dress code", I would guess that the "code" would be enforced more rigorously.

Edited by comxkid

An unenforced dress code is really not a dress code at all. RCI simply does not care as long as what people wear is within reason. Adam himself has as much said so in other words. He freely admits that times are changing.

Just for clarification, where has Adam said that? Here's what Adam says officially on the subject:

Enforcing the Dress Code in the Main Dining Room

I receive emails asking “why did you let so and so in the dining room with that on?” and other emails asking “why didn’t you let me in the dining room?” Our intention is to establish reasonable rules and then to enforce them. This area involves degrees of difficulty that can challenge us and create frustration for our guests. If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest. If the guest is already seated, it is more difficult to broach the subject with him/her.

Across the fleet we follow the formal night dress guidelines that are printed in the Cruise Compass. What we consider appropriate dress for formal nights has changed over the years due to style trends. For example, baseball caps and hats are not permitted at dinner, especially on formal nights. But on some itineraries we have a guest mix that prefers to wear cowboy hats when they dress up so we allow it. In addition, shipboard teams may struggle with enforcing the formal night dress code due to the itinerary, especially on days when we remain in port until late in the day as guests may have limited time to get back to their staterooms to dress up.

Please rest assured that we will continue to focus on the most appropriate way to enforce our dress code.

Reading through the responses, they're about equally split, much like the sentiment here.

From The Dictionary:

dress code

noun

: a set of rules about what clothing may and may not be worn at a school, office, restaurant, etc.

Full Definition of DRESS CODE

: formally or socially imposed standards of dress

Examples of DRESS CODE

The school imposed a new dress code that forbids students from wearing jeans.

So with that being said RCI is giving suggestions and not a Dress Code to say what you "have" to wear or not wear on a given night.

If there was a Dress Code then it would stand to reason that the code of dress would be enforced in which it is definately not!

Here's what Adam says officially on the subject

Im not sure what part of "RCI does not care as long as what people wear is within reason" you failed to understand.

It goes hand in hand with what Adam said when he said "Our intention is to establish reasonable rules and then to enforce them."

Reasonable rules are no shorts and ball caps for dinner. Those they enforce rather stiffly.

Other than that, they DO NOT care! The waiters are already preprogrammed to tell people not to worry about dressing up and to come to dinner anyway!

How is that a "dress code"?

Just for clarification, where has Adam said that? Here's what Adam says officially on the subject:

Reading through the responses, they're about equally split, much like the sentiment here.

Well Adam must not be aware of what is going on in the fleet when it comes to this because as I stated in my review of Freedom there was no dress code being enforced even on formal night....and not just cowboy hats neither! He need to do an "Undecover Boss" episode to see what is really going on! :cool: