Trouble for Capt. on WC

ZSandy25

[quote name='SilvertoGold']I wonder how Captain Mercer is handling the internet mess, especially with the President's Club member who has been very, very unhappy with the internet and had a meeting scheduled just recently with the higher ups?[/quote]

Tactfully. The internet problem is a headache for the Captain, but not something he can do anything about personally. I feel sorry for him on this cruise since obviously internet is one thing that people now count on and demand. I hope that the problems are solved since I know from experience that the longer the cruise, the grumpier some passengers get.

Susan

[quote name='durangoscots']Tactfully. The internet problem is a headache for the Captain, but not something he can do anything about personally. I feel sorry for him on this cruise since obviously internet is one thing that people now count on and demand. I hope that the problems are solved since I know from experience that the longer the cruise, the grumpier some passengers get.

Susan[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, I've seen that!
I, too, feel sorry for the Captain. I would never want to work a WC! Not convinced that I even want to go on a WC! In reading the various blogs, I see all sorts of things I wouldn't want to endure for any length of time, let alone almost 4 months.

In the mid-90s I was on a transatlantic repositioning on the Maasdam. An elderly woman boarded with her equally elderly husband who was well into dementia. The woman allowed her husband to wander the ship by himself, creating problems for passengers and crew alike. He would weave through the MDR, jeopardising the dining room stewards precariously balancing trays of meals and glassware. He would sit at tables that were not his assigned table and refuse to move. His wife, who I can understand was exhausted having cared for a dementia afflicted parent myself, seemed to be using the ship for respite care. I have great compassion for passengers with health issues, but the ship has a responsibility to the other passengers. In this case, they were concerned that this elderly man could easily have fallen down a flight of stairs or overboard! He also wandered into other passengers cabins. He became more slovenly and agitated as the cruise went on. I didn't see the couple beyond Lisbon, so perhaps they were asked to leave. Captain Mercer is in charge of a "village at sea" and has to take everyone's comfort and safety into consideration.