Singapore or Hong Kong

Gerioo1

I know both cities are nice, but which would you spend more time in?

Would it be Singapore or Hong Kong?

:o:oThanks!!!!

We are cruising from Hong Kong to Singapore later this year and I've been told that Singapore is lovely and clean but not a lot to do, whereas Hong Kong needs plenty of time because there is so much to see and do. Check this out

Di

This is a really hard question to answer as both cities are fantastic.

Hong Kong certainly needs more time to explore so it depends on what you like to do and how long you have to spend in the city. If you have several days then HK would be a better option.

Singapore has a bit more to see than people think but HK has tons of 'attractions'.

Singapore is a very safe city and has a well deserved reputation for food hygiene standards so you can sample local cuisine with confidence. I'm not implying anything is wrong with HK, it's just that Singapore is famous for high levels of public hygiene.

I would personally choose HK but one of the reasons is that I have been to Singapore heaps of times so would like more time in HK.

Good luck in deciding.:D

I've just come back from both cities - pre and post-cruise. Singapore has dependably warm weather all year round so you can chose a hotel with a nice pool and relax. We stayed at the Shangri-La which has a nice pool and garden though it's a bit remote from the touristy things like Chinatown and the Marina.

We stayed four nights in Hong Kong at the Four Seasons - stunning hotel, better than anything in Singapore, but the spectacular pool was too cool and too windy at this time of year. It's a city to explore on foot and we used the ferries and the subways extensively. We also did a day-trip to Macau.

Go for HONG KONG it is arguably the World's most exciting city . Far more to see and do, and the shopping in Hong Kong is much better .

In Hong Kong the must sees are ride the Star Ferry, Victoria Peak at Sunset, Stanley Market (Daytime), Temple Street Night market (Night), the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island, dinner on the Jumbo floating restaurant at Aberdeen, Ocean Park, Disneyland, shop till you drop in the depths of Kowloon .

Singapore is also a great city but it does not offer the excitement of the East that is thriving Hong Kong .

Definitely Hong Kong we have been to both and we really loved Hong Kong, we did a walking tour in Hong Kong, went across to Macau, went on the ferries, Ocean Park, Disneyland and it goes on and on, the underground although very busy is the quickest way to travel around Hong Kong.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Hong Kong. So much to see and do. Shopping may not be as good as before though. If you have more than a couple of days, I suggest taking the 'slow-poke' tram from Kennedy City to Shau Ki Wan (from west of HK Island to the east or vice versa). Just a couple of HK dollars you can take in the sight and sound of the everyday lives of HK locals. Go up to the top deck for a better view if no mobility issue.

Both cities are worth visiting, for various reasons. I visit Singapore more than Hong Kong, mainly because of family working & living there.

A lot of people just don't realise how much there is to see & do in Singapore.

If you like history, go visit the following - Battle Box (underground command post from WW2 before the Japanese took over. Also nearby are the excavations of ancient Singapore history & artafacts. Another must is the National Museum. If desire some good old bush walking, try McRitchie Reservoir walk, or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. If you have children, a must is Sentosa Island - Water Park, with great rides, water buckets, feed the sharks, etc. Also the "new" Aquarium (what can I say about this attraction, it just blew me away, especially the extremely large glass tank in one of the viewing rooms, larger than a drive-in theatre screen I would say or close to it.

If you go to the National Museum, check out this exhibit - "Singapore Stone" believed to be the oldest artifact in Singapore, came from Java, many, many years ago.

The above are just a few of more favourite sites in this state which keeps re-inventing itself.

On top of that, it is a very safe place to visit. Taxi's are reasonably cheap, the MRT is quick, efficient & safe. I am not that old, but I find it strange when young school children or teenagers, stand up & offer me their seat in the MRT trains ( it just doesn't happen back in Oz)

After all that, you can always (time permitting) take a flight to Tioman Island just off the east coast of Malaysia....we always enjoy having 5 days there, swimming, dining, bush walking, etc. - just heaven.

I am not downing Hong Kong, as I haven't been there, so I can't compare, but I was wondering, can you do similar things there as you can in Singapore.

Another island near Singapore, that visited on a previous trip was the Indonesian Island of Bintan, a short boat trip away. Very nice dining outside on the beach at night, watching the lights on the fishermans "kampongs" huts built on stilts come on. The kampongs are built on stilts above the sea water.

You might notice that I didn't mention the "run of the mill" sights in Singapore, that most tourists seem to bring up, eg. a drink at Raffles Hotel, meal at Clark Quay, etc.

I guess because we visit Singapore a lot, we start looking outside the square for something different or unusual.

I forgot to mention the Peranakan Museum ( a must do) to get an understanding of how many Peranakan women married Chinese men in the early days of Singapore. They have beautiful artifacts at this museum.

If you walking or cycling, then East Coast Parkway is a must, rent a bike, and ride for miles & miles on a designated concrete cycleway/pedestrian (shared)

You can actually ride to the northern end, to a point just near the Singapore International Airport runway, to watch the jets above you, a real buzz.

Did I mention Marina Bay Sands Hotel - a must place to visit, go to the top for a great view. The concourse down below the hotel, is a hive of shops, restaurants, cafes (one of my favourites is there), they even have a water course down deeper in the complex, with men paddling gondoliers.

Gardens by the Bay is another must see - one is called the Cloud Dome & the other the Flower dome. If you love tropical flowers, you will be heaven at this attractions, forget the Botanical Gardens (still nice - it can't compete against Gardens by the Bay) - I think Prince William officially opened the gardens?

Thanks Widebay for all the suggestions of what to do when in Singapore. We are arriving there on the 12th of March on the Diamond Princess and like to do things a little off the usual tourist track. Lots of suggestions to fill in our four days.

When I lived in Singapore we called it "Disneyland with the death penalty". If you enjoyed the movie, 'The Truman Show", you will love Singapore.

When I lived in Hong Kong, we called it "China for beginners". It's still that way - although China is much more fun - and more interesting.

Both cities are worth visiting, for various reasons. I visit Singapore more than Hong Kong, mainly because of family working & living there.

A lot of people just don't realise how much there is to see & do in Singapore.

If you like history, go visit the following - Battle Box (underground command post from WW2 before the Japanese took over. Also nearby are the excavations of ancient Singapore history & artafacts. Another must is the National Museum. If desire some good old bush walking, try McRitchie Reservoir walk, or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. If you have children, a must is Sentosa Island - Water Park, with great rides, water buckets, feed the sharks, etc. Also the "new" Aquarium (what can I say about this attraction, it just blew me away, especially the extremely large glass tank in one of the viewing rooms, larger than a drive-in theatre screen I would say or close to it.

If you go to the National Museum, check out this exhibit - "Singapore Stone" believed to be the oldest artifact in Singapore, came from Java, many, many years ago.

The above are just a few of more favourite sites in this state which keeps re-inventing itself.

On top of that, it is a very safe place to visit. Taxi's are reasonably cheap, the MRT is quick, efficient & safe. I am not that old, but I find it strange when young school children or teenagers, stand up & offer me their seat in the MRT trains ( it just doesn't happen back in Oz)

After all that, you can always (time permitting) take a flight to Tioman Island just off the east coast of Malaysia....we always enjoy having 5 days there, swimming, dining, bush walking, etc. - just heaven.

I am not downing Hong Kong, as I haven't been there, so I can't compare, but I was wondering, can you do similar things there as you can in Singapore.

Another island near Singapore, that visited on a previous trip was the Indonesian Island of Bintan, a short boat trip away. Very nice dining outside on the beach at night, watching the lights on the fishermans "kampongs" huts built on stilts come on. The kampongs are built on stilts above the sea water.

You might notice that I didn't mention the "run of the mill" sights in Singapore, that most tourists seem to bring up, eg. a drink at Raffles Hotel, meal at Clark Quay, etc.

I guess because we visit Singapore a lot, we start looking outside the square for something different or unusual.

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. I appreciate it.