Port Canaveral

dontpanik

A couple of things.

First of all, I live here in the port. Literally. My house is a block south of the south entrance. I get to hear the ship's horns everyday (love the Disney horn battles). Anyway, I wanted to tell you I won a trivia contest a few weeks ago and was given tickets to the new Exploration tower at the port. If you don't know what it is, it is a new 7 story tower in the shape of a sail with an observation deck and each story has displays (some interactive) on the history and current status of the Space Coast. It has everything from wildlife information and history of the port itself to displays on our surfing culture and the Kennedy Space Center. There are fantastic views of the ships in port and the VAB from the northern observation deck.

600x400

Second, the Port Canaveral Facebook page is about to hit 7000 "likes". When they do, they will be having some giveaways. Their page is: https://www.facebook.com/portcanaveral . I do not work for them or at the port. I am a stay at home wife, but I do love my home and encourage anyone when you are in town to visit the tower (or yummy restaurants at the port) before or after your cruise.

Happy Sailing!

Wow......that is beautiful!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed that all of the new construction and new terminal means that Royal is bringing in one of the "big girls".

PC is hands down our favorite port to sail from!!!

Thanks for the pix!!!

I'm with you! At the meetings, they have mentioned they already have a mega ship lined up but they haven't mentioned which line. I am REALLY hoping it isn't Carnival/Royal Caribbean/Disney because while I love it, I would like a bit more variety like a Holland America or Princess. As you can see, I prefer to sail from home, lol (who wouldn't want that?). I can walk to the new terminal! Can't wait!

My family cruises from Port Canaveral twice a year and love the expansion

they are doing.

We recently had the opportunity to visit the new Exploration Tower

[Thanks to Michael of Executive vip limousine] on our way back

to the Orlando airport.

There is a movie theatre that shows everything about the area

and what a view from the top with the telescope.

I admit, it is a huge advantage not having to fly but if I want a different itinerary, I will need to bite the bullet. I was so happy to see they added a few southern Caribbean itineraries from here, too. My favorite is listening to the horns.

I admit, it is a huge advantage not having to fly but if I want a different itinerary, I will need to bite the bullet. I was so happy to see they added a few southern Caribbean itineraries from here, too. My favorite is listening to the horns.

Thanks for an outstanding picture.

Stop complaining no plane tickets, that is great. Think about all the money you are saving by not having to purchase plane tickets and staying over night in a hotel in FL.; before and after a cruise .

Edited by cruise47

I'm with you! At the meetings, they have mentioned they already have a mega ship lined up but they haven't mentioned which line. I am REALLY hoping it isn't Carnival/Royal Caribbean/Disney because while I love it, I would like a bit more variety like a Holland America or Princess. As you can see, I prefer to sail from home, lol (who wouldn't want that?). I can walk to the new terminal! Can't wait!

I'm with you!! We drive to Florida to cruise and we love both Princess and HAL!! Lucky You!!

Photos are lovely!

A couple of things.

First of all, I live here in the port. Literally. My house is a block south of the south entrance. I get to hear the ship's horns everyday (love the Disney horn battles). Anyway, I wanted to tell you I won a trivia contest a few weeks ago and was given tickets to the new Exploration tower at the port. If you don't know what it is, it is a new 7 story tower in the shape of a sail with an observation deck and each story has displays (some interactive) on the history and current status of the Space Coast. It has everything from wildlife information and history of the port itself to displays on our surfing culture and the Kennedy Space Center. There are fantastic views of the ships in port and the VAB from the northern observation deck.

600x400

Second, the Port Canaveral Facebook page is about to hit 7000 "likes". When they do, they will be having some giveaways. Their page is: https://www.facebook.com/portcanaveral . I do not work for them or at the port. I am a stay at home wife, but I do love my home and encourage anyone when you are in town to visit the tower (or yummy restaurants at the port) before or after your cruise.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks for sharing. We just sailed on the Dream, and yesterday morning when we came back into port ( before the fog), we were trying to figure out what that was. Now I can tell my husband what it actually is...lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You mentioned you won tickets, wow, that was great! What kind do charges and what's included. Are there different tickets for each attraction? How many hours would you think appropriate? And what would be the hours? We love the port and have 2 cruises scheduled from there this year (so far)

• 2 weeks later...
You mentioned you won tickets, wow, that was great! What kind do charges and what's included. Are there different tickets for each attraction? How many hours would you think appropriate? And what would be the hours? We love the port and have 2 cruises scheduled from there this year (so far)

I'm so sorry it took so long to get back to you. The fee is small, It's $6.50 for adults, admission fees are $6.50 for adults and $3.75 for children ages 3-10. There are discounts for Brevard County residents, seniors and military personnel with ID. The fee includes the whole tower and all the displays/attractions there in, but no rides or anything like that, just some interactive displays and film. The hours are 9am-6pm. There's also a small gift shop and a cafe. When we were there, there was even a snow cone seller out front. We went on a Tuesday so no ships were in (though I have noticed the past several weeks that there are two visiting ships in port on Tues.). There was maybe 4 other groups of people in the building at the same time so we were able to cruise right through it. You actually are asked to start at the observation deck and work your way down. I say leave at least two hours since there is a small film on, I believe, the 3rd floor. I linked to the brochure below that actually has some info on the future plans as well as a webcam link to the current Cruise Terminal 1 construction.

BTW, it is freaking GORGEOUS out today! This is why every single one of you needs to move here, because it is February and 75 degrees and sunny!

Exploration tower brochure (pdf)

Cruise Terminal 1 live, streaming construction cam

Edited by dontpanik

I'm so sorry it took so long to get back to you. The fee is small, It's $6.50 for adults, admission fees are $6.50 for adults and $3.75 for children ages 3-10. There are discounts for Brevard County residents, seniors and military personnel with ID. The fee includes the whole tower and all the displays/attractions there in, but no rides or anything like that, just some interactive displays and film. The hours are 9am-6pm. There's also a small gift shop and a cafe. When we were there, there was even a snow cone seller out front. We went on a Tuesday so no ships were in (though I have noticed the past several weeks that there are two visiting ships in port on Tues.). There was maybe 4 other groups of people in the building at the same time so we were able to cruise right through it. You actually are asked to start at the observation deck and work your way down. I say leave at least two hours since there is a small film on, I believe, the 3rd floor. I linked to the brochure below that actually has some info on the future plans as well as a webcam link to the current Cruise Terminal 1 construction.

BTW, it is freaking GORGEOUS out today! This is why every single one of you needs to move here, because it is February and 75 degrees and sunny!

Exploration tower brochure (pdf)

Cruise Terminal 1 live, streaming construction cam

Thanks for all the info. You're right. After snow yesterday and freezing rain today, I'm ready to move there. You are so lucky!

dontpanik - I see by your signature that you sailed the Scandinavian World Cruises Scandinavian Sea back in 1992. I didn't think that anyone now a day even knew when they were around. My very first cruise was on her sister ship the Scandinavian Sky in 04/86 for my senior trip. Things have changed so much with cruises since those days.

Not sure how long you have lived at the port but I had a cousin that lived right on the curve as you are going to the port. (at least that's how I remember it - it's been years since I've been there.) She ran a plant nursery out of her house called "Maggie's Mini Nursery" Would you happen to have known her? She passed away probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Can you tell me where is the safest and cheapest place to park for an 8 day cruise in September? We are planning on driving down the morning of our cruise so we won't need a hotel to do a park and cruise deal.

We used Park Port Canaveral earlier this month and were thrilled. We'll be booking them again for next February. Very easy both directions, we were back in our car at 8:15 disembarkation morning which put us home by 11 even with a breakfast stop. Highly recommend them.

dontpanik - I see by your signature that you sailed the Scandinavian World Cruises Scandinavian Sea back in 1992. I didn't think that anyone now a day even knew when they were around. My very first cruise was on her sister ship the Scandinavian Sky in 04/86 for my senior trip. Things have changed so much with cruises since those days.

Not sure how long you have lived at the port but I had a cousin that lived right on the curve as you are going to the port. (at least that's how I remember it - it's been years since I've been there.) She ran a plant nursery out of her house called "Maggie's Mini Nursery" Would you happen to have known her? She passed away probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Can you tell me where is the safest and cheapest place to park for an 8 day cruise in September? We are planning on driving down the morning of our cruise so we won't need a hotel to do a park and cruise deal.

I did love the Scandanavian Cruises! I was born and raised on the space coast but farther down shore. I'm from Indian Harbour Beach and only recently moved to Cape Canaveral 3 years ago. Unfortunately, no, I never knew your cousin.

As far as parking, I've never needed to use anyone but I believe the park and cruise in east Merritt Island is your best bet. People I've spoken with recommend them (www.parkcruise.com) . They are right over the lagoon from the ships and the area is very safe.