Kicking myself/West Coast Sale "Warning"

willow028

My husband's cruise with his sons is a few days out from final payment, and in checking rates today (non ES booked) noticed a West Coast sale that would save us $40. So I called, and after 25 minutes on hold going back and forth, the person I spoke to (no PVP, just the general number) got the rate approved. I also made final payment at the time.

Kicking myself because she did tell me the total cost, but with all the hold time I was also working while on the phone - I totally did not do the math in my head with the new balance versus what it was before the drop.

Then I got the confirmation email - and taxes/fees/port charges went UP $52, so this "drop" ended up costing $12. I called back, but nothing could be done.

Totally my fault for not paying 100% attention to the fact that the new total would be higher than the old total once the "drop" was applied - posting just as a warning for anyone else who may be seeing that sale and trying for the price drop!

Edited by willow028
Should have added this is a 3 day to Mexico for the "warning" to be useful!

I almost did that once, then I noticed the tax increase. :eek: Not such a good deal anymore. Sorry you didn't catch it, but i'm sure you won't make the same mistake again. Would have been nice if they had told you about it though. :(

That's too bad, a decent rep. would have explained that it would be higher.

I almost did that once, then I noticed the tax increase. :eek: Not such a good deal anymore. Sorry you didn't catch it, but i'm sure you won't make the same mistake again. Would have been nice if they had told you about it though. :(

When I called back I did ask why I wasn't told about the increase and the explanation was that I was given the total cost. Which was 100% true and the lack of immediate comprehension that it was an increase was my fault - but it would have been nice to have a breakdown for those like me who were multitasking when calling!

And you betchya I'll never do that again - spreadsheet with total cost will be front and center and I'll verify cost BEFORE I accept any changes!

Hope this helps someone else avoid the same mistake!

When I called back I did ask why I wasn't told about the increase and the explanation was that I was given the total cost. Which was 100% true and the lack of immediate comprehension that it was an increase was my fault - but it would have been nice to have a breakdown for those like me who were multitasking when calling!

And you betchya I'll never do that again - spreadsheet with total cost will be front and center and I'll verify cost BEFORE I accept any changes!

Hope this helps someone else avoid the same mistake!

There is a good chance that you could get a small credit for taxes & fee once onboard.

This is very good info for many new ES bookers way too eager to claim small price drops.

In my opinion there should be a separate sticky for price drop claims as everyone wants a piece of the action as soon as a new price drop thread appears!

Its natural to get carried away with claiming price drops and many do it without correct thought as to conditions of new fare.

Not all price drops are equal, people need to inform readers of their category number of pax and time of year before the readers get mixed up in somebody else's price drop announcement that may not be worth the trouble to them:)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm reading this thinking, 25 minutes on hold, I don't think I would wait that long and then to hear the final result. I feel so bad for you. Then again I hate being on hold.:D

Exactly what you both said! I had on my calendar to call today for final payment as it was due 2/2 and I knew I'd be sidetracked all weekend. I checked the Fare Viewer first and saw the drop so thought "why not ask?" and that took most of the time on hold, being asked questions, on hold, back to work... repeat...

I hate the phone in general... LOL if I hadn't want to just pay off the dang balance at the end of it I would have hung up!

Hoping those taxes and fees drop once on board and the "kids" (all in their 20's) get a bonus as we're only paying for the fare+fees+grats! :)

As so well said above - make sure your drop IS a drop - my rep only came back on and said "approved and total now is" - not even sure if I'd caught the increase then I could have done anything about it.

I think Carnival compensated for some of that, indirectly at least. Last two cruises out of Long Beach on Inspiration and Imagination were $199 NO SOLO SUPPLEMENT . . . cruise on Feb.10th on the Imagination is only $129.:rolleyes:

Then I got the confirmation email - and taxes/fees/port charges went UP $52, so this "drop" ended up costing $12. I called back, but nothing could be done.

..........!

willow028,

Your price drop was an actual price drop because the additional taxes/fees would have been added to your onboard S&S account. Basically you paid the increase now instead of later, but you would have paid it regardless. :(

As others have mentioned the fees change many times and if your sailing is cheaper when you sail, then you'll get a credit of the difference on your S&S. A credit is always better than a charge, but look at it this way; you avoided an onboard expense that you wouldn't have expected. ;)

When I calculate for a price drop, I run through the full cycle of attempting to book a room at the same category. Then I compare it with what I paid. For example, a cruise we have booked for Sept had a price drop of 30/person but when you added in the extra charge for the category upgrade, it was actually 30/person "more". And even talked with a Carnival rep about this and they explained the same thing.

So, now, I always run through a complete booking (up until they want to submit for the booking) and then compare the costs.

Steve

My husband's cruise with his sons is a few days out from final payment, and in checking rates today (non ES booked) noticed a West Coast sale that would save us $40. So I called, and after 25 minutes on hold going back and forth, the person I spoke to (no PVP, just the general number) got the rate approved. I also made final payment at the time.

Kicking myself because she did tell me the total cost, but with all the hold time I was also working while on the phone - I totally did not do the math in my head with the new balance versus what it was before the drop.

Totally my fault for not paying 100% attention to the fact that the new total would be higher than the old total once the "drop" was applied - posting just as a warning for anyone else who may be seeing that sale and trying for the price drop!

Hope they enjoy the cruise anyway.

willow028,

Your price drop was an actual price drop because the additional taxes/fees would have been added to your onboard S&S account. Basically you paid the increase now instead of later, but you would have paid it regardless. :(

As others have mentioned the fees change many times and if your sailing is cheaper when you sail, then you'll get a credit of the difference on your S&S. A credit is always better than a charge, but look at it this way; you avoided an onboard expense that you wouldn't have expected. ;)

Not true. Carnival has the RIGHT to charge you the increase in port charges/taxes, but historically they do not. No one has ever come back on here complaining about it, that's for sure.

Edited by irishnyc

willow028,

This is not true, or at least it wasn't the first time we cruised. We booked our cruise within two months of sailing and paid for all of it upfront. After we booked it, I did a mock booking. The rates were teh same but the taxes were up about $15/person. I asked John Heald on FB if cruisers had to pay the tax increase. He said no, but if it decreases you do get an on board credit.

Maybe you do have to pay the increase if you are paying monthly payments.

When I calculate for a price drop, I run through the full cycle of attempting to book a room at the same category. Then I compare it with what I paid. For example, a cruise we have booked for Sept had a price drop of 30/person but when you added in the extra charge for the category upgrade, it was actually 30/person "more". And even talked with a Carnival rep about this and they explained the same thing.

So, now, I always run through a complete booking (up until they want to submit for the booking) and then compare the costs.

Steve

Yes I dont understand this? the per person per day charge for higher category

cabin jumps up quite often when they have a price drop:confused:

I paid $9 pp per day extra for a 4J on the Dream but every time there is a sale or price drop the charge goes up to $12.50 extra pp per day!

Not true. Carnival has the RIGHT to charge you the increase in port charges/taxes, but historically they do not. No one has ever come back on here complaining about it, that's for sure.

I agree. I have never had my price increase for any reason one I put the deposit down. And as someone stated, before I submit a price drop, I do a mock booking to ensure it is an actual drop.

Irishnyc,

I don't know that I've seen a thread complaining about an unknown tax being added, but I have seen it myself. Granted we sail from Miami a lot and Miami adds a port tax that shows up on S&S so that may be why I've never given it a thought.

Maybe you do have to pay the increase if you are paying monthly payments.

The closest to sailing that we've ever booked has been 11 months for our upcoming cruise in April; all others were booked much longer.

I check prices frequently, and always have noted the port fees / taxes change, but as the cruise gets closer there are less changes. Given that you booked two months out perhaps that's why your fees remained the same.

Another caveat is that I ALWAYS book early saver and ALWAYS get price drops; perhaps that's when the fee adjustments are tacked on?

As I mentioned in a previous post we sail from Miami frequently and there's a port tax added to the S&S from POM that I may not have considered as being the only tax that's added. I do know the policy of their right to add so that may be why I assumed all were being added.

The closest to sailing that we've ever booked has been 11 months for our upcoming cruise in April; all others were booked much longer.

I check prices frequently, and always have noted the port fees / taxes change, but as the cruise gets closer there are less changes. Given that you booked two months out perhaps that's why your fees remained the same.

Another caveat is that I ALWAYS book early saver and ALWAYS get price drops; perhaps that's when the fee adjustments are tacked on?

As I mentioned in a previous post we sail from Miami frequently and there's a port tax added to the S&S from POM that I may not have considered as being the only tax that's added. I do know the policy of their right to add so that may be why I assumed all were being added.

Yes,if you do ES and then adjust for lower price then they will add if there is a port tax hike.

If you leave your booking alone then they normally don't add if taxes go up.

Yes,if you do ES and then adjust for lower price then they will add if there is a port tax hike.

coops,

There are five of us normally and six on our last cruise all on one S&S from two or three cabins, so there's so much there that they could add a Social Security tax and I'd miss it. :o

They also tack on each individual ES price drop, share holders credit, and various OBC from Carnival MasterCard, Future Cruise, etc that my S&S statement is a mess.

Edited by PaulMedik

^^^ This is correct. If you're booked ES and you submit a price drop request, your fare will be re-coded and any increase in taxes and fees will apply.

I have never been charged for any increase in taxes and port fees when leaving my original booking in place.

Irishnyc,

I don't know that I've seen a thread complaining about an unknown tax being added, but I have seen it myself. Granted we sail from Miami a lot and Miami adds a port tax that shows up on S&S so that may be why I've never given it a thought.

I'd LOVE to see a copy of your bill. You're the first one that's ever said anything like that.

I'd LOVE to see a copy of your bill. You're the first one that's ever said anything like that.

irishnyc,

I had some copies of S&S bills online, but they were on Webshots :mad: I may have some on Fotki or Flickr I'm not sure. I'll look for last years bill this evening and upload it; assuming I get home in time and assuming I didn't toss it. ;)

Irishnyc,

i wouldn't call it an "unknown tax" so much as people should be educated on what they're paying for when they book a cruise. or as a friend would say, a tax on stupid people.

like when the price of crude goes up a certain amount they can pass that charge onto you, on a set per person per day rate, and when that happens people get so bent out of shape, and are clueless they've agreed to it when they purchased the fare.