NCL Star review

jonbgd

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248572

SO was anyone on this cruise.

It looks like the reviewer made up a new CC name to post it:rolleyes:

Disembarkation was a mess and that was due to CBP processing of the large amount of foreign passengers on the sailing. There were three large groups and one of them was non-US citizens. There were a lot of Germans on the ship because secondary announcements were always done in German throughout the voyage. This clogged customs which in Miami didn't have dedicated US citizens versus non-US citizens. Non-US citizens took forever because they fingerprinted, took photos and generally tried to ask them questions that the other person didn't understand. I almost missed my flight but I don't blame NCL for that. It was CBP all the way.

The noro outbreak wasn't bad if those people who had it were accurately reporting themselves. I didn't get sick because I'm precautionary as it is and took more precautions when the ship announced they were in full out precaution mode. Considering where the spike in cases happened and incubation time period for GI symptoms to start, the likely cause was Costa Rica port call. Lots of street vendors and unknown sanitary methods. If people don't know the methods of food prep then they really should stay away from foods in foreign ports of call - especially fresh uncooked food. On the Costa Rica tour I took they had fresh CUT melons and other cut fruits. Since I couldn't see how it was prepared I opted for a banana out of the fruits offered because it wasn't cut.

Lots of guys were not washing their hands on the ship which is why from Day 1 the ship had the bathroom doors propped open everywhere.

I was on the Star in Nov and Dec (Ended 12/22).

This review reaffirmed my resolve NOT to read reviews.

I normally don't read them either but researching for a new cruise and it involves a ship I have never been on its tough not to:confused:

I just don't understand people making up a new name to post it:rolleyes:

Disembarkation was a mess and that was due to CBP processing of the large amount of foreign passengers on the sailing. There were three large groups and one of them was non-US citizens. There were a lot of Germans on the ship because secondary announcements were always done in German throughout the voyage. This clogged customs which in Miami didn't have dedicated US citizens versus non-US citizens. Non-US citizens took forever because they fingerprinted, took photos and generally tried to ask them questions that the other person didn't understand. I almost missed my flight but I don't blame NCL for that. It was CBP all the way.

The noro outbreak wasn't bad if those people who had it were accurately reporting themselves. I didn't get sick because I'm precautionary as it is and took more precautions when the ship announced they were in full out precaution mode. Considering where the spike in cases happened and incubation time period for GI symptoms to start, the likely cause was Costa Rica port call. Lots of street vendors and unknown sanitary methods. If people don't know the methods of food prep then they really should stay away from foods in foreign ports of call - especially fresh uncooked food. On the Costa Rica tour I took they had fresh CUT melons and other cut fruits. Since I couldn't see how it was prepared I opted for a banana out of the fruits offered because it wasn't cut.

Lots of guys were not washing their hands on the ship which is why from Day 1 the ship had the bathroom doors propped open everywhere.

If only others had some common sense

Doing research for first panama canal cruise. How was it

Look forward to your complete review.

I don't believe everything I read either.

Our first NCL cruise is on the Star on April 13th. We are taking our baby granddaughter with us.

I am normally, a cautious cruiser, but with her along I want to be more diligent.

We have sailed a Code Red before and we didn't get sick.

Was it inconvienent (sp?) ?? At times, yes.

Did it stop us then ? No, and they offered to give us back our money if we wanted to cancel.

Will it stop me from this sailing ? No. But I would like to know if there is Noro before we go.

Pat

It's probably a good thing I didn't start reading reviews on here until after we'd done our first two cruises.

DH had cruised many times before but my first cruise was on the Star and we loved it. DH was very impressed with everything about it. So now, we're hooked :eek:

We were on this cruise it was our 1st on NCL. It was one of the best we have ever been on. I must say debarkation was very long luckily we didn't have flights to worry about.

We were lucky none of our party got sick, although our neighbors did, they actually self quarantined themselves.

I read this review too and could not believe how different people see things.

I am in the process of finding my next cruise with NCL.

I normally don't read them either but researching for a new cruise and it involves a ship I have never been on its tough not to:confused:

I just don't understand people making up a new name to post it:rolleyes:

I have seen the "new name" thing many times and CC doesn't like the comments that ensue when someone does this, so I simply stopped reading reviews.

After cruising on the Star over 35 times, I have some pretty firm opinions of this ship and the crew. That is why I keep cruising on her !! I don't need to read someone elses rants.

I noticed a comment on the bathroom doors propped open. That is normally a sign that a few cases of gastrointestinal problems have been reported and the CDC procedures are beginning to try to stop it.

Edited by swedish weave

It's probably a good thing I didn't start reading reviews on here until after we'd done our first two cruises.

DH had cruised many times before but my first cruise was on the Star and we loved it. DH was very impressed with everything about it. So now, we're hooked :eek:

Since Ive been on the Epic and they basically get the same avg (71%) on overall reviews..... How did it compare with the Star

We were on this cruise it was our 1st on NCL. It was one of the best we have ever been on. I must say debarkation was very long luckily we didn't have flights to worry about.

We were lucky none of our party got sick, although our neighbors did, they actually self quarantined themselves.

I read this review too and could not believe how different people see things.

I am in the process of finding my next cruise with NCL.

Ok Thanks..... it is good to hear from others on the same cruise

I have seen the "new name" thing many times and CC doesn't like the comments that ensue when someone does this, so I simply stopped reading reviews.

After cruising on the Star over 35 times, I have some pretty firm opinions of this ship and the crew. That is why I keep cruising on her !! I don't need to read someone elses rants.

I noticed a comment on the bathroom doors propped open. That is normally a sign that a few cases of gastrointestinal problems have been reported and the CDC procedures are beginning to try to stop it.

Ive seen it as well over the years

Wow on the Star 35 times.... That's more than some entire cruise history

It sounds like your favorite ship or is it just convenience?

Ive seen it as well over the years

Wow on the Star 35 times.... That's more than some entire cruise history

It sounds like your favorite ship or is it just convenience?

It was very convenient for us because we could drive to the port (San Pedro) in less than an hour, so we cruised it almost every month when the weather got too cold to swim. When NCL pulled the Star out of the West coast, I was disappointed, but understood the business decision.

We have since sailed on the Star several times because we like the ship and have "adopted" some of the kids who work there. Great ship -- Great crew !!!

It was very convenient for us because we could drive to the port (San Pedro) in less than an hour, so we cruised it almost every month when the weather got too cold to swim. When NCL pulled the Star out of the West coast, I was disappointed, but understood the business decision.

We have since sailed on the Star several times because we like the ship and have "adopted" some of the kids who work there. Great ship -- Great crew !!!

Ok that's why, forgot she was on the Best , I mean West Coast;)

I can only compare the Star and EPIC, but last year i thought the hand hygiene before meals wasn't enforced. On the EPIC they didn't let us enter buffet or dining areas without being attacked by handgel. This just seemed to be optional in all areas on the star.

Other than that i had no other complaints about the star. (it just isn't the ship for me)

I can only compare the Star and EPIC, but last year i thought the hand hygiene before meals wasn't enforced. On the EPIC they didn't let us enter buffet or dining areas without being attacked by handgel. This just seemed to be optional in all areas on the star.

Other than that i had no other complaints about the star. (it just isn't the ship for me)

Can you let us know how the crew on the Epic handled guests who refused to allow them to spray the hand gel on them ??

I know the Star has gel dispensers at every public venue. They also have crew stationed at the entrances to the buffet and they spray everyone who will allow it.

Can you let us know how the crew on the Epic handled guests who refused to allow them to spray the hand gel on them ??

I know the Star has gel dispensers at every public venue. They also have crew stationed at the entrances to the buffet and they spray everyone who will allow it.

On the Epic, entering the Buffet, they have both the dispenser and the washy washy sprayers.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248572

SO was anyone on this cruise.

It looks like the reviewer made up a new CC name to post it:rolleyes:

Yes I was on this cruise.

Quite honestly, this was the BEST CRUISE I HAVE EVER TAKEN!!!

The Cruise Critic group onboard was AMAZING!!!

The entire crew was FABULOUS!!!

YES, the was a noro virus outbreak and the crew did what they had to do. I was fine while onboard but came down with it once I got home. It is what it is and I don't fault the crew or NCL ONE BIT!!!

Yes there were about 30 passengers with lost luggage but this is the fault of the airlines, NOT NCL.

Also, if folks remember, air travel ACROSS THE COUNTRY was a mess that week...in fact my father who was coming to stay with my kids while I was gone was stuck in Newark for THREE DAYS!!!!

Anyway, too bad this person had a bad experience...I thought the cruise was amazing and fabulous and the people amazing and fabulous...I could go on gushing and gushing...

And this was my THIRD time on the Star...YES she is older and she will go into dry dock next year for updating...but people...like everything else in life...IT'S ALL WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!!!!!

Since Ive been on the Epic and they basically get the same avg (71%) on overall reviews..... How did it compare with the Star

Ok Thanks..... it is good to hear from others on the same cruise

We enjoyed our cruise on the Epic, but found the ship just too big for us .

Both ships were in fine condition, the Star, we thought, was cleaner and better maintained :eek: and yes, I know what you're thinking with Epic being so new but, it just seemed like the crew worked harder on the Star.

On the Epic, while it wasn't exactly dirty and I'm not one to look for that kind of thing, I did have to clean the drawers in our balcony cabin with my wipes before we could use them. Not even sure what the dirt was something sticky.. ..:eek:

We found the crew on the Star just so much friendlier than on the Epic, they were far more likely to smile at us when we spoke with them but maybe it was just contagious.

The food on both ships was good to excellent and yes, we ate in some of the specialty restaurants on both. The MDR's and buffet were fine for us too though.

I guess maybe I was put off a bit by the lack of friendliness on the Epic but it's possible that they have such a heavy work load that they really don't have time to chat and smile...not sure about that but I don't blame the crew for us not enjoying the cruise as much as our first on the Star, for sure.

When we returned home, DH said he didn't want to cruise anymore. I guess that speaks for itself. However, given time, talking to friends, reading articles on here we decided to take one more cruise to see if it was just a one-off.

Long story short....we have 2 cruises booked...next on the Sun and then our darling Star...

If there's something specific you're wondering about...I know I probably haven't answered all of your question but please feel free to ask...I'm happy to help ... just being fairly new to cruising and to CC my experience is limited.

My thought is the review is full of BS. To make up a CC member name like NEVERNCL, just tells me the problems with their vacation began with them, not NCL. Most likely just a miserable person to begin with.

I do not read the reviews in the review section at all (unless it is someone posting like the OP of this board). I look for reviews on the cruise lines pages and look for things that would bother me or not bother me.

I wish the reviewer luck in their future sailings and hope to heck they stay off NCL as I cant stand the thought of being on a cruise with them

My thought is the review is full of BS. To make up a CC member name like NEVERNCL, just tells me the problems with their vacation began with them, not NCL. Most likely just a miserable person to begin with.

I do not read the reviews in the review section at all (unless it is someone posting like the OP of this board). I look for reviews on the cruise lines pages and look for things that would bother me or not bother me.

I wish the reviewer luck in their future sailings and hope to heck they stay off NCL as I cant stand the thought of being on a cruise with them

Ditto :p

Yes I was on this cruise.

Quite honestly, this was the BEST CRUISE I HAVE EVER TAKEN!!!

The Cruise Critic group onboard was AMAZING!!!

The entire crew was FABULOUS!!!

YES, the was a noro virus outbreak and the crew did what they had to do. I was fine while onboard but came down with it once I got home. It is what it is and I don't fault the crew or NCL ONE BIT!!!

Yes there were about 30 passengers with lost luggage but this is the fault of the airlines, NOT NCL.

Also, if folks remember, air travel ACROSS THE COUNTRY was a mess that week...in fact my father who was coming to stay with my kids while I was gone was stuck in Newark for THREE DAYS!!!!

Anyway, too bad this person had a bad experience...I thought the cruise was amazing and fabulous and the people amazing and fabulous...I could go on gushing and gushing...

And this was my THIRD time on the Star...YES she is older and she will go into dry dock next year for updating...but people...like everything else in life...IT'S ALL WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!!!!!

Ok Thanks . That was the bad weather week.

I had tough time getting from SFO to Hou that week as well.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. . Always wanted to do a full Canal transit. That is a bucket list cruise for me

We enjoyed our cruise on the Epic, but found the ship just too big for us .

Both ships were in fine condition, the Star, we thought, was cleaner and better maintained :eek: and yes, I know what you're thinking with Epic being so new but, it just seemed like the crew worked harder on the Star.

On the Epic, while it wasn't exactly dirty and I'm not one to look for that kind of thing, I did have to clean the drawers in our balcony cabin with my wipes before we could use them. Not even sure what the dirt was something sticky.. ..:eek:

We found the crew on the Star just so much friendlier than on the Epic, they were far more likely to smile at us when we spoke with them but maybe it was just contagious.

The food on both ships was good to excellent and yes, we ate in some of the specialty restaurants on both. The MDR's and buffet were fine for us too though.

I guess maybe I was put off a bit by the lack of friendliness on the Epic but it's possible that they have such a heavy work load that they really don't have time to chat and smile...not sure about that but I don't blame the crew for us not enjoying the cruise as much as our first on the Star, for sure.

When we returned home, DH said he didn't want to cruise anymore. I guess that speaks for itself. However, given time, talking to friends, reading articles on here we decided to take one more cruise to see if it was just a one-off.

Long story short....we have 2 cruises booked...next on the Sun and then our darling Star...

If there's something specific you're wondering about...I know I probably haven't answered all of your question but please feel free to ask...I'm happy to help ... just being fairly new to cruising and to CC my experience is limited.

Thanks for the comparison.

I personally like mid ships as well.

But on NCL that would only be the POA Ive sailed on and that being a one off, I like to hear comparisons to other mid size ships

We have done the Epic twice

The first time on a 7 day Caribe cruise wasn't my favorite. It did seem like the staff wasn't as personable and our room steward was one of the worst ever.

The second time was a TA.There the ship I actually liked. Staff seemed more relaxed. Our cabin had issues that we had to call maintenance twice.

The person that showed up said that the shipyard built the Epic with cheap products so it doesn't hold up as well as other ships in the fleet.

Glad to hear you didn't let the Epic push you away from cruising

Hubby's aunt and uncle were on this cruise too. Haven't heard how they liked all of it, but I do know that they had to get on the ship on the first stop because weather was so bad up here, Wisconsin (or as I like to call it hell), they couldn't fly out until late and missed the boat.

Thanks for your review of the Star… I'm thinking of taking it on the Baltic cruise in September 2014 and just wondering if I'll like it because it's an older ship. But it sounds like it is pretty good shape. And that the crew is nice.

Do you happen to know anything about the spa onboard?