HAL in alaska with a 14 year old....?

kingstonKouple72

Looking to book an alaskan cruise this summer. Want to depart the end of june when son gets out of school. Would turn 14 a few days after we get back from the cruise.

We have never done HAL before, having been on NCL and RCCL (enjoyable) and Carnival with the kids (never again).

Due to transportation issues we want to start and end in Vancouver.... which leaves either Celebrity or HAL.

Any thoughts from people who have done this itinerary before? Will there be enough kids on the ship for him to have a good time?

Thanks

Looking to book an alaskan cruise this summer. Want to depart the end of june when son gets out of school. Would turn 14 a few days after we get back from the cruise.

We have never done HAL before, having been on NCL and RCCL (enjoyable) and Carnival with the kids (never again).

Due to transportation issues we want to start and end in Vancouver.... which leaves either Celebrity or HAL.

Any thoughts from people who have done this itinerary before? Will there be enough kids on the ship for him to have a good time?

Thanks

I took my 15 year old grandson on a one week cruise to Alaska, he had a wonderful time, although I spent a lot of time running up and down the corridors of the ship, he spent a lot of time up in the computer room of the youth area.... I can't say that he really made any friends, but there were those that were "friendly". There is so much to do on an Alaska cruise, whale watching, and looking out for other wildlife takes up a lot of time... My grandson had a limited diet at that time, but loved the grill on the lido deck, and even once ate with us on formal night in the MDR, we ordered pizza, which they were happy to serve him! He swam in the pool, and even has a certificate for the polar bear swim! In Sitka we went to the Raptor Center, and he was extremely interested in the Eagles there.... he is now 20 and still mentions what a great time he had on that cruise .... I'm sure your son will have a fabulous time in Alaska, whether there are a lot of other kids on board or not!!

In 2011 we took my 15 year-old grandson and 13.5 year-old granddaughter to Alaska. We did a cruisetour. They absolutely loved the land part and the train travel. On the ship they did not get involved with the kids' programs but found plenty to keep them busy. They especially enjoyed their Juneau excursion to meet the sled dogs.

Grandson loved the freedom to choose when, where and what to eat. The kids ate dinner with our family each evening in the dining room. Grandson ordered steak each evening and granddaughter enjoyed trying new dishes. Our waiters enjoyed interacting with the kids and gave them some puzzles or magic tricks to figure out as they waited between courses. They spent a lot of time in the pool. Grandson matured on that trip and even his coaches and family friends remarked that he was more self-assured.

Don't hesitate at all. Involve your son in the planning and then enjoy your time together.

Thanks all. Think we are going to book Zaandam on july 4th.

Any thoughts on the ship?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

We were on Zaandam for 21 nights over Christmas. She was just in drydock. A lot of the upholstery was new as was the carpeting. We had a great time. There were a lot of activities that the kids enjoyed.

Hi kingstoncouple, enjoyed visiting your beautifully city last summer, coincidentally after cruising to Quebec city on HAL. For your Zaandam cruise, are you doing 14 days round trip? We did Zaandam 7 day Seward to Vancouver in June 2012 with our, then, 11 and 14 yo. While they enjoyed the trip, Zaandam only had about 70 minors on board out of 1200. Club Hal were good for my 14 yo, but my 11 yo did not like hers. Canadian schools were not out yet; therefore, your early July cruise will likely have lots more kids.

Zaandam, in 2012, was somewhat dated - carpet worn, visible rust on some pipes (on promenade deck), but as another poster mentioned, it was drydocked, so outside appearance likely a none issue. Otherwise, the stateroom, food, service were great, entertainment solid, and itinerary and fellow pax were wonderful.

I believe most kids would enjoy a 7 day trip on Zaandam, but I have reservation on a 14 days RT.

BTW, we did Alaska cruise on NCL Star in ? 2011, there were lots more kids on it, but I believe my family enjoy the Zaandam experience more.

Edited by SpokaneDan