Difference between PVP and carnival directly

Yari mommy of 2

So I have always booked my cruises and vacations through a PVP but last month had an issue as we missed out flight due to the airport being full of people from the snow strom we got hit with after new years. So we kept calling carnival since our agency was close that early in the morning. Carnival kept telling us you need to try and get on another flight or call your agency. So no luck on getting on another flight till thursday. No other airline had any space due to the 3 days of closed and cancelled flight. So when i finally talked to my agency they said i would need to call my insurance and file a claim.

Now we are going to book a cruise for the end of this month after receiving our check.

I want to know whats the difference in service? Its my DH and I and 4 kids. I already booked our flights leaving the night before

A pvp is not the same as a travel agent. I'm a bit confused as to which one you booked with, as a pvp is carnival. I don't know exactly the procedure but it seems about Riggt for any experience you would call the company who's insurance you have. Seems to have all worked out for you in the end though as you're being reimbursed. I would think it would work the same way in this case no matter how you booked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Edited by pbsteve

I too think you've got your terminology confused. I think you booked before with a TA (travel agent) not through a Carnival rep known as a PVP (personal vacation planner).

Regardless...the main difference is exactly what you experienced. When booking with a TA - they "own" the booking and Carnival will not deal with you directly for any reason. Even in an emergency. :(

The PVP offers basically the same services - but they only represents Carnival only.

If you want to have control of your booking and the ability to contact Carnival directly even for a basic question - go with the PVP.

If you want somebody else to manage all of that for you - go with the TA.

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm a bit confused as I booked my cruise at the future cruise desk last week on my Splendor cruise. When I questioned why my old travel agent was on the cruise documents I was told that because I'm not a US citizen then I would need to complete my booking through them!

I purposefully didn't book with my old travel agent as I would have preferred to deal directly with Carnival. Since returning home, I have emailed my TA but they haven't replied to any of my messages!

That's why I would rather deal directly with Carnival! I can't see why my TA would receive any commission as they haven't done anything yet.

I am a Travel Agent, and it sounds like you had a Travel Agent, and in my opinion, a bad one at that. Fortunately they sold you Travel Insurance to take care of events like you encountered. That is one reason I give my clients my personal cell phone number to call while they are on their trip if they need something.

If you had a PVP, they might not have been able to get you on another flight unless you booked it through Carnival, but they would have helped you as much as they could, and at least they would answer the phone.

I was told that when you book on the ship the person who booked the cruise you are on would get the credit. In my case if a PVP booked my cruise my PVP would get the credit

after booking 4 cruises I just found that out myself. my PVP told me if I book while on a cruise that when I got back to call her with my booking # and she would also get credit. I liked that. :) especially since they did away with the future cruise certificates.

I am a Travel Agent, and it sounds like you had a Travel Agent, and in my opinion, a bad one at that. Fortunately they sold you Travel Insurance to take care of events like you encountered. That is one reason I give my clients my personal cell phone number to call while they are on their trip if they need something.

If you had a PVP, they might not have been able to get you on another flight unless you booked it through Carnival, but they would have helped you as much as they could, and at least they would answer the phone.

That's great you give your personal # and I think that is the way to go especially for emergency's. I don't deal with a TA, but my sister has one she has worked with for years and always does :) which is good for her, when you find someone (PVP or TA) and your happy. Keep dealing with them