WiFi access

Just wondering if we could start up a list of free wifi in different countries and ports. Kruzseeka suggests a different thread for each itinerary. What do you think?

Perhaps Sailaway could do us a spreadsheet like the cabin review one if we ask him nicely :):D:D as I don't seem to have Excell anymore :confused:

great idea linda:cool:

heres my list from caribbean:

starbucks, diamonds international & columbian emeralds all have free wifi across the caribbean

ANTIGUA

The Coast Bar cruise ship dock area

Rex Resorts

DOMINCA

cruise ship dock (town dock)

BARBADOS

boatyard beach club

Free WiFi inside the Cruise Terminal

St. Maarten

most coffee shops on the Boardwalk Philipsburg

Sunset Beach Bar maho beach

Doc Maarten Marina

Princess Juliana Airport

ST. VINCENT

Harmony Hall Resorts

St Vincent Airport Arnos Vale

Aruba

Starbucks in lobby of Renaissance Hotel

St Lucia

Hewanorra International Airport on St. Lucia

rum shop at port seraphine cruise ship dock

Only had Nexus on one trip so not many to report.

Madeira: Funchal McDonald's 30 minutes free (believe McD's is a good one to target anywhere)

Aruba: Holiday Inn Palm Beach - on the beach from your lounger!

At the Cruise terminal in town (not the one where some ships berth which is a ten minute taxi ride out) Hooters bar - but you do need to buy a drink.

Barbados: the Cruise terminal

Grand Turk: the Cruise terminal round the pool of Margaritaville no purchase necessary.

Great Geo :) Anyone got any ideas for the Canaries and Agadir as I am off there soon? (not on Thomson :o:D)

There's a McDonalds on the sea front in Agadir which should have wifi. I didn't take my iPad off ship in Agadir so don't know, sorry!

Gran Canaria. Again a McDs in the first shopping centre you come to but better still there is wifi in the big building on the jetty. There was another cruise ship docked on the other side of the building. It was for crew but some passengers found it too. Very slow because of the number people using it.

La Gomera. Out of the port gates, across the road and along to the left, walk along a bit towards some small shops and there are a few cafés with free wifi. Just buy a drink. Someone on the entertainment team told me where to go.

Madeira. Again out of the port gates, there is a McDs nearly opposite where the Hoho buses stand and there were people in a number of cafés along them using IPads.

Venice

Cannot help here much but I got free wifi with a couple of very expensive drinks in an Irish Bar in one of the back streets of Venice. They advertised the wifi outside the pub.

I think there was wifi in the port building next to the ship but don't know if it was free or not.

Koper

Just outside the port gates and across the road there are some arches in the wall where the crew were getting free wifi.

Sibenik

Walk right along the sea front to the end...there is a lovely waterside cafe called Point Bar. Very reasonable drinks and wonderful views as well.

Dubrovnik

Walk right along the Main Street towards the harbour there is a restaurant up a side street on the right called Konoba Penatur

Kotor

Cannot remember!

Aegean

Kusadasi

There's a Starbucks within the port area. Don't even need a password.

Beware of the man at a kiosk who charged me a fortune for a beer and an ice cream to use his password. He was really creepy as well. And his friends in suits were Scarey!

Katakolon

Lots of cafés along the street next to the harbour had free wifi.

In Grenada there were one or two places charging $3 and $2 for wifi, so we went over the road just out of the port area and there was a sports bar with Carib at $3 and excellent free wifi.

In Curacao we sat outside at Wilhelmina café opposite the big stone letters spelling Curacao and had the local Brion beer and a Mexican one while spending time on the good free wifi.

In Bonaire we were at El Mundo café drinking Polar beers while using the wifi and watching a small lizaed climb the wall.

In Aruba we were in Spanglish café, drinking Balashi beers while on wifi.

In Dominica we spent a couple of hours with wifi and Kubuli beers at the Gateway Hotel to the right of where the Dream moored up.

We had free wifi in a café in Tortola with Carib beers, but cannot remember which one.

There are usually plenty of bars and cafes advertising wifi, and we had no problem with the amount of time we spent in them either.

Edited by gillhalfpint

• 1 month later...

Two places I found on Canaries cruise

Lounge Bar Bluemar in Arrecife. It is quite a way from the ship. It is on the main road by the beach which is after the town centre. No code needed to connect

O Solar de Santola in Funchal. Very nice restaurant in the Marina area. They will put the code in for you.

no passwords required in the cruise terminals nor in some shops (diamonds international)

I use boingo, it just logs on autonaticaly to any open wifi that it happens to come across...once logged on it will search for other wifi hotspots and display them in googlemaps...works worldwide...its a free app:cool:

it runs all the time whenever your wifi is enabled (in the background...you can disable it if you wish) if it finds an open hotspot it will log on to it and let you know that you are online, once you are online it will search for other hotspots and switch to whichever has the strongest signal as you move about, if it cant find an open signal it will show you a list and ask if you want to log on to other networks

some boingo members open their own home networks to other members which the app will find and will connect you (with your approval) its a good idea to disable file sharing if you are going to connect to private networks tho

very useful in caribbean where there are a lot of public open hotspots (shops/hotels/cruise terminals/even on some beaches)