Barcardi Rum Factory

JetCruister

Hello,

We will be in San Juan from 3pm to 9pm and we are looking at doing the Bacardi Rum Tour on our own. It looks like the last tour is at 430, which we should be able to make. Has anyone done this on their own and if so how was the experience. Our ship is not offering a tour of the rum factory. I see we would need to take a 10-15 minute ferry ride and then taxi to the factory. Any help is appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Sheila

We just got back from the Summit on 2/1. We had a 2:15PM flight home so took the Bacardi tour from the ship. It was OK. The tour was about 45-50 minutes long. My husband thought we would tour the factory but you take a tram to one building and see some presentations and a short video. The tour is free if you do it on your own. I wouldn't spend too much money on it though.

My sister and I went on our own. We took the ferry that is located in the heart of OSJ, right next to where the ships dock. It runs every 30 minutes and costs about .50 cents each way.

When you get off the ferry, walk out of the facility and walk to the right where there will be cabs waiting to take you. If you walk with a group of people and take a group van, it should costs $3. each way.

Once there, you will go into the outside bar/waiting area. The bartender will give you a ticket with your tour time, and tickets for two free drinks. When your tour time comes up, you'll hop aboard a tram that will drive you through the facilities and to the main building where the tour takes place.

Inside, they have a mock-up of how the rum was originally made, and a bar set-up, and some other recreations of rum production. You will not see any actual rum production. The tour will last about 45 minutes and then the tram will drop you back off by the gift shop.

My sister bought some special Bacardi there and got her bottle engraved on site.

If you spend too much time at the store (like we did), you'll encounter the same problem of not having anyone to share the cab ride back. We paid a few dollars extra for the ride back to the ferry since it was only the two of us.

The facilities are nice and we enjoyed the tour, but if you haven't toured Old San Juan, then I think you should do that first.

For us, the tour was a complete waste of time. Of course, we went thinking we were actually going to tour the factory. Instead, it's a short tour of the history of Bacardi with a video thrown in for good measure.

Luckily, we had a rental car when we went. I wouldn't pay to try and go there when there are so many other great things to do in San Juan.