Trivia

captstubing

Seems to me there was only one Trivia session on our last cruise. But, boy, was it fun! The prizes ranged from spa sessions to tote bags to key chains, etc.

One event comes to mind from our last Trivia session .... the prize on the block was a great spa session. CD told the group sitting in the pub (and those watching in their staterooms on the TV), that the first person to come up to him dressed in only a towel will receive the spa prize. One particularly enthusiastic one lady in the pub took off running!!!! She was intent on winning the prize. No one else sitting there thought it was worth the humiliation. A few minutes later in walked a young father carrying his toddler son who was wrapped in nothing more than a bath towel! They won the prize. You can imagine how ticked the young lady was when she came walking in a little later in her towel.:eek:

The Trivia sessions are so much fun .. we never miss them.

~D

For us on the Dream to Alaska, trivia was once or twice a day. 4:45 PM and (?) 8:30 PM, at least on sea days (we had five). The questions were a bit easier than I'm used to from pub trivia nights. The competition wasn't that kean, so teams I were on finished first once and second twice in four tries. Probably about ten teams competing. Wasn't too much space for more than that. Prizes were pretty low-key (key chains, frisbees, a deck of cards, etc.) Never tried the evening competitions. One was "British Trivia".

(No icons were harmed in the posting of this message.)

Actually, the prizes are generally things like NCL mugs, leather bookmarks, frisbees. beachbals, decks of cards...

The mugs were most popular :)

The days at sea are more crowded, while most people are off the ship while in port, so the trivias are rather sparse on port days.

Difficulty various by topic and language skills of the host(ess) :) :) :)

On the Dawn and Star (my two most recent NCL cruises), they usually held trivia twice a day. Yes, the prizes are small (typically, a pack of cards, a letter opener, a bookmark, a keychain, a tote bag, etc.), all with the NCL logo on it. To me, it's just a fun reminder of a memorable trip. The questions range from fairly easy to ridiculously obscure. I love to participate in the trivia games, whether I win or not. It's also usually a good place to meet fellow cruisers.

I agree the prizes recently have been quite skimpy. A few years ago, some ships had prizes like a video of the ship, maglite flashlight, pen set etc. One problem we had recently on the Dawn was that team trivia was held in the Pearly KIng's Pub where the smoking and non-smoking sections were very close together. It wasn't worth breathing all that smoke for a bookmark.

Dolphins is right about the smoking/no smoking boundaries in the Pearly Kings Pub. It was a bit of an off-put for us but we enjoyed the morning sessions in the Spinnaker Lounge. BEWARE - some of the questions at this session were completely off the wall!! I can still recall a couple:

What is the average number of sesame seeds on a McDonalds bun? (I will NEVER, EVER forget this one) and

What colour is a giraffe's tongue?

I can supply the above answers as soon as a substantial amount of money is deposited in my bank account!!

Good Luck

Malcolm

We have played on every ship we have been on, if not trivia, music trivia, battle of the sexes, whatever and always had a blast. I think the prizes have been about the same for the past 20 years: mostly coozies, book marks, key chains, frisbees, cards, etc. DH loves the leather book marks. Other than trying to find some bridge players on our Jewel cruise in Sept we will probably play all the games; we love um!!! NMNita

I hope they have music trivia on our upcoming cruise because DH is a musician and huge music fan, so we'd have that one in the bag! (Unless they ask how many zits Britany Spears has on any given day. Oooh- I'm bad!!!) Sports is our weak area, so we always have to go to trivia with sports fan friend/relatives or we're sunk.

Thanks for the "impossible" question answers. :)

Archived