Bringing First Timing Parents & Kids - Allure vs. Freedom?

OV8

Doing our research to see what is a better fit for our crowd of 12:

6 adults + 2 75+seniors (1st timers) + 4 <10 year old girls.

I am sure both are fabulous but my worries are mostly geared towards the seniors on the Allure:

Long Lines to shows or dining?

Wait for elevators?

Are the flights of stairs really long to each level in lieu of elevator waits?

We hadn't cruise ourselves since Freedom in 2009 (LOVE LOVE LOVE) so not sure if some things have changed & enhancements may be available this time beyond the reservation dining which we loved in 2009.

Appreciate your feedbacks in advance!

We found the elevator wait on the Allure the best out of any of our cruises. I think it is because everyone is spread all over the ship... but we rarely waited for an elevator. Most elevators were empty and we were sailing on a full ship (non-holiday). We had a cabin on deck 2 (handicapped) and even when people were leaving or returning to the ship we never waited for an elevator. The only time it was difficult was during embarkation -- but even then it wasn't bad. No lines for shows... we had tickets. No lines for dining... we never ate in the Windjammer but opted for the dining room or any of the other numerous dining options in Central Park or the Boardwalk area or up by the Flow Rider... if you check on your tv you can see what areas are full and what areas have availability. Stairs are the same for each ship (I believe)... although there are a lot more decks on Allure... but to give you an idea... on many other cruises I'd find a spot for mom in the elevator and then I'd take the steps... On the Allure we never had that problem...

My opinion is that if you are dealing with first time cruisers, not matter adult or kid...I would recommend Freedom of the Seas over Allure or Oasis. Remember that Freedom of the Seas is the 4th biggest cruise ship on the ocean, and has quite a bit to offer (our favorite ship actually). I think that the size of Allure or Oasis might be TOO overwhelming for someone who has not cruised before.

Now, for their second cruise...that's a different story!

My opinion is that if you are dealing with first time cruisers, not matter adult or kid...I would recommend Freedom of the Seas over Allure or Oasis. Remember that Freedom of the Seas is the 4th biggest cruise ship on the ocean, and has quite a bit to offer (our favorite ship actually). I think that the size of Allure or Oasis might be TOO overwhelming for someone who has not cruised before.

Now, for their second cruise...that's a different story!

I agree, the Freedom is a large ship with a lot to do. They have the Dreamworks Experience for the kids, and kids at heart. The Allure or Oasis may be a bit overwhelming for a first cruise. I love the Freedom, she is a perfect size.

I tried to book a cruise on Oasis or Allure, but I was just overwhelmed with the cabins and turned back to the Freedom-sized ships.

The real kicker for us was that the largest ships cannot pull into Grand Cayman; thus, Freedom gave us an extra shore stop.

I booked the Allure and now the Oasis because of the fewer stops. Mom (81) has difficulty walking on shore --- cobble stones, etc. The Allure/Oasis offered us so much that we didn't need to get off the ship. While we were docked we wondered the ship... enjoyed the artwork... and the staff... and visiting with others who stayed on board.

In regards to booking a stateroom... we just decided on our budget and went from there. Just looking at the staterooms/suites at your high end of the budget and lower... and what's available makes choosing a stateroom fairly easy. Most of the time we were out of the stateroom and doing something on the ship... except for the planned 'nap' every afternoon... so we could stay out later at night!

We also planned sections of the ship to explore all week... so that it wasn't overwhelming. It really isn't hard to navigate... and the flow works great. Don't be afraid of the Big Ladies... they are truly a destination in themselves... and she show and entertainment are worth every penny. And... what better picture can you ask for than the three generations on a beautiful carousel... or that photo of daddy zip lining???