Embera Village - ship tour and yellow fever vaccine?

zelker

Leaving next week and considering the Embera Indian Authentic Village tour offered on HAL Zuiderdam. I just read this on the CDC web site:

Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age traveling to all mainland areas east of the Canal Zone, encompassing the entire comarcas (autonomous territories) of Emberá and Kuna Yala, the entire province of Darién, and areas of the provinces of Colón and Panamá that are east of the Canal Zone (see Map 3-17).

Since it specifically mentions Embera, my question is: For those who have visited an Embera village, did you get immunized or just use bug spray and not worry about it? :confused:

I don't believe that most people traveling to any of the various villages used by the ship's shore excursion have received the YF vaccination. My daughter, husband and two young teens were there over Thanksgiving and they did not have the vaccination or even bother to take bug spray. I looked at the map and they really have painted with a very broad brush and the areas that are mentioned as east of the Canal where the various villages that receive visitors would be on the fringes and practically not in the advisory area. The Emberas that you will visit are not in the comarcas, that autonomous area is a lot close to Colombia, while the Comarca of Kuna Yala is nearer, it is still some distance away. The other thing in your favor is you will be visiting in the Dry Season and that time of year mosquitoes are not a huge problem.

Just a side note, the CDC may wish to revise the wording of their advisory... the Canal Zone ceased to exist back in 1979;):)!

Go and enjoy!!