Flushing (NYC) Car Service/Taxi question

JLY Girl

Hi,

We're cruising out of Manhattan and are parking at a family acquaintance's house in Flushing. They're about 2 miles from a subway station, and our Manhattan hotel is on that line, so we were hoping to taxi it to the subway station. However, I'm reading that taxis aren't really available in Flushing and there are lots of car services coming up in my google searches. Are they the same thing? Do they offer short runs like this (the ride would only be about 10 minutes). I'd thought car services only do longer drives (e.g., all the way to Manhattan or trips to the airport).

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Yellow taxi (metered) are usually available for hire at the #7 subway station on Main Street & Roosevelt Ave, on the southwest corner once you exit the station (by the newstand / bus stop - opposite the Sheraton Flushing/LaGuardia Hotel) There are car service (so called "black" car,) cruising around for a street pickup and like taxis, they will do both short runs to nearby addresses and/or LGA or JFK airport, etc.

For "local" car service, a 2 mile short run from the family friend's house/home to the subway should be around $10 or $12, get the quoted fare info from the dispatcher when you call. It's usually not necessary to book them in advance except in poor weather, but to make sure that a car is available & dispatched for a timely pickup - call ahead with a 30 minutes or 1 hour notice is always appreciated by the dispatcher/reservation office taking the call. Give them your contact or mobile # and they will call you upon arrival, so that you don't have to wait outside and stand in the cold to look for them.

If you are plan to take luggage onto the subway, elevator entrance from the street level is on the opposite side of Macy's Dept. Store on Roosevelt Avenue, 1/2 block off Main Street. As you leave for Flushing, tell the driver to drop you off nearby and it is a very busy station being the end of the line with numerous bus connections. (Cars including taxi/car service are prohibited in making left turns in many of the blocks around this area - it'll help the driver to plan ahead on dropping you at the spot instead of "dumping" you off at any corner or curbside nearby on crowded Main Street)

FYI, a ride to MCT (NCL ships) from Flushing area will run about $40 plus toll (depending on route used - $6 additional) + 20% tip, travel time is about 45 minutes on weekends in good weather - using (our unofficial/preferred) Carmel - regular sedan rates.

For local trips, we'v been using (for 25+ years) "New Golden Horse Limo" 718-358-9898, or 718-762-8888 or 718-762-3888.

Golden Unicorn at 718-526-8888, 718-661-3888 or 718-661-2666.

Aren't there also now "Green Taxis" in the boros outside of Manhattan? Just like the Yellow ones, but can't pick you up in much of Manhattan.

Yes, they are supposed to be out there - but there aren't that many of them cruising around @ Main Street, Flushing or the nearby elevated LIRR Station 1.5 blocks away. I had dropped off Mrs. M this morning nearby & drove pass the interesection and even MTA city buses are in short supply, long lines of commuters waiting for a ride - better than yesterday with the snow/sleet/ice storm that luckily missed us, for better or worst.

OP, here's the corner, just outside the #7 subway where yellow/green taxi & car service (assorted colors w. NYC T&C Livery licensed vehicle plates) for hail or pickup. There are 5 entrances to the underground subway, the elevator/accessible one is on the far/opposite side of this intersection, 1/2 block up from AT&T, before McDonald's - Macy's across the street. If your stay is within zip code 11354, 355, 356 or 357 or similiar - I can suggest some additional car service we are familiar with - otherwise, Golden Horse & Golden Unicorn are generally what we call going to/from downtown Flushing or airports. For cruising terminals, we do endorse Carmel :)

IMAG0238.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Thank you so much for all the details in your replies! I especially appreciate the details about the subway station and which entrance has the elevator. I’ve emailed New Golden Horse, and they confirmed the $12 fare, and we’ll call them when we arrive. We’ll also keep Carmel in mind if the weather is bad, or if I can’t keep my promise to pack lightly. :)

We’ll be traveling into Manhattan Saturday evening and back to Flushing on Sunday morning, so hopefully it won’t be as busy. We’re staying in the 11358 area, so we’ll probably go with New Golden Horse as you'd suggested on our way into Manhattan. On the way back, we’ll see if we can pick up one of the taxis/cars around the subway station.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your advice.

11358 native myself. You could also consider taking LIRR from Broadway stop all the way into Penn Station and then cab over to the ship. Much preferrable to taking luggage on the subway in my humble opinion and you can avoid the crowds at Main st. Only 20 or so minute ride

:) Ah, si / yes - LIRR's Station @ Northern Blvd / 162nd. Street - Depot Road, referred to as the Broadway Station, also stopping at Main Street & Woodside/61st Street, Hunterspoint Ave into/from NY Penn Station. Weekend service is spaced about 30 minutes apart & one-way fare purchased at the machine is $7.00 (higher on the train)

It is better than the weekend madness & crowd on Main Street, we avoid going into downtown, driving or otherwise unless absolutely necessary - OP is taking the #7 subway as they are parking their car & spending Saturday evening at a Times Square hotel, which is apparently closer/walking distance to/from 42nd. Street. If they take the LIRR, they will have to get into a taxi and/or walk 10 blocks or so dragging their bags. They should be much closer to LIRR Station than the #7 Subway, but not necessary walking distance (otherwise, they could've getting a ride to the station) so its a car service to LIRR, fares for LIRR, and another taxi in Manhattan - the costs adding up, they might as well call a car service to take them directly into Times Square & if using 59th Street/Ed Koch Bridge - no tolls involved (costs about $15 to $20 higher vs. LIRR)

The elevator/entrance opposite Macy's on Roosevelt Ave isn't too bad except during rush hours on weekday, when trainloads of pax getting off on the last stop come pouring out of the station to head home & hop on buses - but they will get a seat in the subway car & as long as their bags are manageable in size, they should be fine going to the Times Square, the last stop on the opposite end of the run.

On their Sunday return, disembarking from their NCL cruise, the taxi to LIRR might be more appealing & easier, but they will probably have to wait & call for a car service to meet them & pick them up at the Broadway Station (or, call while they are on the train & getting close to their stop) On Main Street, it's usually easy to spot & find a waiting or cruising-for-fare neighborhood car service but not really at Broadway.

Let the OP decide if they want to explore & consider the LIRR option - this will definitely make sense if there are weekend track works or maintenance on the #7 subway line, as they sometimes do not run between LIC and Manhattan, asking riders to transfer to the N/Q instead - which would still get them to Times Square, but it will definitely be CROWDED. Check the MTA weekender website or use the mobile trip planner app to see if there's any service changes before their cruise/trip. I know that some weekend work were postponed this month due to the Lunar New Year events on Main Street.

Again, thank you for your advice! What would we do without these boards!

We did look into the LIRR when we were going directly to the port (or if our hotel had been closer to the ship). As mking8288 noticed, our hotel is at Times Square, so taking the LIRR would actually require more transferring. On the way back, we're definitely keeping "taxi to Penn/LIRR" as an option, as Broadway station is only a 6 minute walk from where we're parking according to Goggle (well, probably more like 10-15 with a suitcase).

We will definitely download the app or check the weekender website you mentioned. The Sunday we come back is also the day of the NY Half Marathon, which will affect the roads around the port.. I read that all traffic gets diverted north (which I'd imagine would affect the car services/taxis to the port and overall traffic in the area). I'm hoping to have a couple contingency plans in place, and based on the weather, how we feel, traffic conditions, etc, we can make a last minute decision.

I haven't read anything about the Half Marathon affecting subway services/LIRR - do you know anything about that? I'd imagine it'd be busier than usual, but they'd still run, right (provided they aren't doing track work/upgrades)?