Opera in Venice

kadey

We are thinking of going to the Opera when we are in Venice. la Boheme is at La Fenice when we will be there. It is an afternoon show. Last time in Venice we were walking past La Fenice and had a chance to look inside at this beautiful building. We also noticed another opera house in the corner of St. Marks Square. This will be our first opera experience! Is one place better than the other for our first time at the opera?! Thanks-Kade

La Boheme and La Fenice are both amazing.

La Fenice burned to the ground a few years ago -- it's actually the subject of an enthralling book about modern Venice called City of Falling Angels -- and the Venetians paid an ungodly amount of money to restore it EXACTLY as it was before.

http://www.amazon.com/City-Falling-Angels-John-Berendt-ebook/dp/B000SEFKJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391733786&sr=1-1&keywords=city+of+falling+angels

We saw La Traviata in Venice at Musica A Palazzo. It's a very intimate setting in a palace along the Grand Canal. The audience of about 60 moves from room to room for the 3 acts of the opera. The singers were amazing and we absolutely loved it! http://www.musicapalazzo.com/program/[/QUOT

I never heard of this! I look into it right away..thanks!

The opera in Venice sounds so romantic.:D

What do you wear to the opera in Venice? From what I have seen on TV it is dressy with gowns and suites only. Is this true?:( What was the crowd actually dressed in. Was this a daytime or evening performance if they have such a thing.

The opera in Venice sounds so romantic.:D

What do you wear to the opera in Venice? From what I have seen on TV it is dressy with gowns and suites only. Is this true?:( What was the crowd actually dressed in. Was this a daytime or evening performance if they have such a thing.

They do tend to dress for the opera in Venice, but not THAT dressy. I wore dressy black slacks, a sparkly top and a black velvet coat. DH wore black slacks, a black shirt and silver tie with a black jacket. We were pretty much in the middle of what we saw...... not over dressed not under dressed. It was chilly that night but not cold. And yes, it is romantic especially if you were to take a gondola ;)

• 1 month later...
We saw La Traviata in Venice at Musica A Palazzo. It's a very intimate setting in a palace along the Grand Canal. The audience of about 60 moves from room to room for the 3 acts of the opera. The singers were amazing and we absolutely loved it! http://www.musicapalazzo.com/program/

We did this in Venice also and really enjoyed it. At the time we were there there were no operas available in the traditional venues on the night we had free so this gave us the opera experience plus a new way of seeing it.