Carnival Confiscated my Mini-Medical Tool.

Flatland

I noticed the port people at San Juan were the worse!!! The rudest lying people we had of all our ports. I was greatly disappointed as I had booked particularly for this port. I have absolutely no desire to ever return. You can have PR.

I have been to San Juan twice. Once to sail out of and once as a port of call. They were friendly and helpful to me.

Any elaboration on how they were rude and lied to you?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I hope you have the names of the screeners in addition to the recording as well as everyone you talked to, what was said, and dates and time. Carnival employees (and other cruise lines) are notorious for lying about most anything when it is more convenient to do so.

And just ignore the responses from the Honey Boo Boo types that make the ignorant posts.

Cheers!

Just curious about your "honey boo boo types" comment . Are you insulting liberals and Obama as Honey boo boo and her family voted for him and are big fans of him, or is your bigotry geared towards people from the South? Because if it's towards the first one then I agree and if it's the second one then that's bigotry.;)

I hope you have the names of the screeners in addition to the recording as well as everyone you talked to, what was said, and dates and time. Carnival employees (and other cruise lines) are notorious for lying about most anything when it is more convenient to do so.

And just ignore the responses from the Honey Boo Boo types that make the ignorant posts.

Cheers!

the op lost an item that is clearly on the not allowed list. apparently, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. The op lost this time and does not have a leg to stand on so to speak.

get over it op and take something that is allowed the next tine.

We boarded the Valor on 1/26/14 in San Juan. I went to leave the ship to get some water at the local CVS and my card going thru security gave a message to go to the luggage sorting area to have my suitcase opened. I thought that was odd until I remembered I had 4-inch Buck-knife in my daypack inside my suitcase. That knife has been in that same pack for over 15 years. That is all I thought might have been a problem. Why now? I’ve had that same knife on nearly all of my Carnival cruises.

I went off of the ship and met with 2 security screeners that said they found something in my suitcase and wanted me present while they opened it. They opened my suitcase and said they saw on their scanner that I had a “Leatherman” tool. They looked thru the contents and didn’t find a “Leatherman” but did find the 4-inch knife. They said the knife was OK since it was 4 inches or less.

They scanned the suitcase again and said they still see a “Leatherman”. They still couldn’t find it when looking again. To save time and to be helpful, I opened an interior pocket inside my daypack and pulled out a 2-inch folded medical tool. This little tool has ½ inch mini-pliers for bottle caps, ½ inch scissors, a 1-inch blade and removable tweezers. I bought it at my family pharmacy almost 15 years ago and it has been on every cruise with me since.

I use the tool to open medicine bottle caps and to puncture the foil film every morning due to arthritis in my hands and I also custom cut a bandage and pad with the mini scissors due to a chronic injury to my leg.

When I handed the tool to the 2 security screeners they giggled about how small the tool was. I explained to them I have taken it on all of my recent cruises on Carnival (and Holland and NCL) but this is the first time I haven’t carried it in my carry-on. Carnival has looked at this mini-tool many times in the past and always passed it thru with me. Well, not this time!

It didn’t matter to them what I used it for. They continued to go on at length that this is a ”multi-tool” just as is any other “Leatherman”. I was told I was not allowed to take it on-board – “… no exceptions for any reason.” When it was clear they were not going to allow me to take it with me. I asked if I could at least get it back when I returned to Puerto Rico. They said no. Once I leave security, I do not have any opportunity to get it back. That is the way it went! To rub salt in my wound (no pun intended), they giggled more when I was walking away with my suitcase. They were debating out load over which of them was going to get to keep it. They must not realize how their voices project in that interior room. That; or they really are that ignorant.

I had a very difficult trip in what would have otherwise been a very good cruise. To open my med bottles I had to use the sharp edge of the nightstands to pound the caps off. Then I used this cumbersome Buck-knife to puncture the seals. Trying to cut my bandages with a Buck-knife instead of medical scissors was a nightmare. I never did get any well fitted and had a bad time of it.

Today I had over an hour-long conversation with Carnival customer services about my bad ordeal. They said they were very sorry this happened but there was nothing they could do about it. I asked if I could have it returned to me and they repeatedly said it would have been destroyed upon confiscation. That was a bold-faced lie. They didn’t know how to respond to me when I informed them of the security screeners going on about which of them was going to keep it. The Carnival rep today didn’t know what to say when I proved I recorded the ordeal on my i-phone 5.

All I got was an, “I’m sorry this happened to you.” They refused to get it back for me or to even reimburse me for the little original purchase cost.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to allow a 4-inch folding hunting knife on board but I can’t bring a 2-inch folded medical tool with a pharmacy label on it.

I guess I’ll have to find other vacation options in the future. I did cancel my next Carnival cruise today. I don’t know if I will book another one. The only way I could ever go again is if I could take another medical tool like I did many times before.

Thanks for letting me vent.

It all sounds wierd.

Thank you Sarah!! That was why I was happy to get my scissors on!:)

I have to wear compression garments on my legs to manage lymphedema, in order to keep the garments up I use a skin adhesive. My skin is sensitive so it has to be the specific brand I use and it's not something that can be picked up at CVS or Walgreens...I know this because I've forgotten when traveling before and searched and only like a med supply store would carry it. When I travel I keep a bottle (small) in every piece of luggage, carry-on and checked, I have a bottle in my car. One might think oh it's just glue, but if I can't keep my garments on my legs, then they become painfully swollen. Also I flying makes legs swell even more, so I keep a bottle in carry-on because I've had to reapply on layovers. Yes, it's very easy for someone who does not have to manage a chronic medical condition to wonder how something apparently so minor ruin a vacation.

the op lost an item that is clearly on the not allowed list. apparently, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. The op lost this time and does not have a leg to stand on so to speak.

get over it op and take something that is allowed the next tine.

Yes. How about a cabin mate willing to help;) Why not prepack the meds before leaving home. That's what the containers you can buy at a drugstore are for.

Is Carnival security denied boarding of all Leatherman, Swiss Army Knife and/or similar types of multi-tools, regardless of its size - or, only b/c it has a knife blade?

We sailed the her Splendor last September and I don't recall having problems and I kept mine (it's small, folding with a 1" blade) with the carryons. OTOH, I've had it in checked luggage on RCI and NCL, made it onboard the ship to the cabin - without fanfare.

Nowadays, there are specialized TSA or travel friendly multi-tools available, and here is one from Leatherman - it does not come with a certificate or waiver to bypass security, it's still at their discretion

http://www.leatherman-store.co.uk/multi-tools-c27/leatherman-style-ps-multi-tool-p845

Everyday at hundreds, if not thousands of airports that follow TSA guidelines, similar tools are screened, some are "voluntary surrendered" (never confiscated) while others made it thru (via carry-ons and via checked bags) It's what we as a nation empowered our Washington leadership to do and we became sheepies as a flock, hence, he 3-1-1 rules & shoes off, etc. - and reasons that we've flown fewer & fewer trips on the shrinking tin cans. http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/03/tsa-prohibited-items-list-changing_5.html - the pix illustrated various types/style of knives & what's allowed & not allowed, made for interesting debate :eek:

Mine by Coleman has survived thus far, it was cheap - around $10 & has fewer swing-out accessories. Brookstone retail stores also sell similar ones, sometimes with a 2 for 1 special, also inexpensive - not a big "deal" if taken away (or prompted to surrender it against wishes ... :rolleyes:)

IMG_20140207_Multi-Tool.jpg

I have carried my 1.5 inch Swiss Army knife on every cruise I've been on. The only place I ever had a problem was with TSA in Norfolk (who took one of them). Never had an issue with any cruise line.

We boarded the Valor on 1/26/14 in San Juan. I went to leave the ship to get some water at the local CVS and my card going thru security gave a message to go to the luggage sorting area to have my suitcase opened. I thought that was odd until I remembered I had 4-inch Buck-knife in my daypack inside my suitcase. That knife has been in that same pack for over 15 years. That is all I thought might have been a problem. Why now? I’ve had that same knife on nearly all of my Carnival cruises.

I went off of the ship and met with 2 security screeners that said they found something in my suitcase and wanted me present while they opened it. They opened my suitcase and said they saw on their scanner that I had a “Leatherman” tool. They looked thru the contents and didn’t find a “Leatherman” but did find the 4-inch knife. They said the knife was OK since it was 4 inches or less.

They scanned the suitcase again and said they still see a “Leatherman”. They still couldn’t find it when looking again. To save time and to be helpful, I opened an interior pocket inside my daypack and pulled out a 2-inch folded medical tool. This little tool has ½ inch mini-pliers for bottle caps, ½ inch scissors, a 1-inch blade and removable tweezers. I bought it at my family pharmacy almost 15 years ago and it has been on every cruise with me since.

I use the tool to open medicine bottle caps and to puncture the foil film every morning due to arthritis in my hands and I also custom cut a bandage and pad with the mini scissors due to a chronic injury to my leg.

When I handed the tool to the 2 security screeners they giggled about how small the tool was. I explained to them I have taken it on all of my recent cruises on Carnival (and Holland and NCL) but this is the first time I haven’t carried it in my carry-on. Carnival has looked at this mini-tool many times in the past and always passed it thru with me. Well, not this time!

It didn’t matter to them what I used it for. They continued to go on at length that this is a ”multi-tool” just as is any other “Leatherman”. I was told I was not allowed to take it on-board – “… no exceptions for any reason.” When it was clear they were not going to allow me to take it with me. I asked if I could at least get it back when I returned to Puerto Rico. They said no. Once I leave security, I do not have any opportunity to get it back. That is the way it went! To rub salt in my wound (no pun intended), they giggled more when I was walking away with my suitcase. They were debating out load over which of them was going to get to keep it. They must not realize how their voices project in that interior room. That; or they really are that ignorant.

I had a very difficult trip in what would have otherwise been a very good cruise. To open my med bottles I had to use the sharp edge of the nightstands to pound the caps off. Then I used this cumbersome Buck-knife to puncture the seals. Trying to cut my bandages with a Buck-knife instead of medical scissors was a nightmare. I never did get any well fitted and had a bad time of it.

Today I had over an hour-long conversation with Carnival customer services about my bad ordeal. They said they were very sorry this happened but there was nothing they could do about it. I asked if I could have it returned to me and they repeatedly said it would have been destroyed upon confiscation. That was a bold-faced lie. They didn’t know how to respond to me when I informed them of the security screeners going on about which of them was going to keep it. The Carnival rep today didn’t know what to say when I proved I recorded the ordeal on my i-phone 5.

All I got was an, “I’m sorry this happened to you.” They refused to get it back for me or to even reimburse me for the little original purchase cost.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to allow a 4-inch folding hunting knife on board but I can’t bring a 2-inch folded medical tool with a pharmacy label on it.

I guess I’ll have to find other vacation options in the future. I did cancel my next Carnival cruise today. I don’t know if I will book another one. The only way I could ever go again is if I could take another medical tool like I did many times before.

So sorry you experienced such misery during your cruise. Perhaps you could have requested that the ship's doctor make the call, if possible. The guards were inappropriate and probably wanted the tool for themselves.

I did not realize multi-tools were not allowed. Funny thing, I bring my Swiss Army knife on every cruise and have never had a problem.

Next time, just ask the cabin steward for a pair of scissors. No need for an ordeal to open the packaging.

So sorry you experienced such misery during your cruise. Perhaps you could have requested that the ship's doctor make the call, if possible. The guards were inappropriate and probably wanted the tool for themselves.

I did not realize multi-tools were not allowed. Funny thing, I bring my Swiss Army knife on every cruise and have never had a problem.

No one has a problem until the first time it happens;)

That sucks. First off the security people are not Carnival employees and often not hired at all by the cruise line but the port itself as how it is at our port. Second... items that are confiscated are able to be returned, they are either held on the ship or by the security compant for after the cruise, which is the case at our port. Third... I used to work for TSA (don't judge me I HATED it lol) and if a passengre says that anything is for medical reasons we had to let it go. Depending on what it was a supervisor might have had to get involved.

This should not have happened in ANY case and you should fine out the name of the secutiry company that is at the port and take issue up with them, I know I would.

That sucks. First off the security people are not Carnival employees and often not hired at all by the cruise line but the port itself as how it is at our port. Second... items that are confiscated are able to be returned, they are either held on the ship or by the security compant for after the cruise, which is the case at our port. Third... I used to work for TSA (don't judge me I HATED it lol) and if a passengre says that anything is for medical reasons we had to let it go. Depending on what it was a supervisor might have had to get involved.

This should not have happened in ANY case and you should fine out the name of the secutiry company that is at the port and take issue up with them, I know I would.

Not fully true. The item they had is listed under items confiscated and disposed of. The item is not a medical device. It is a workman tool. Just because they used it to get into medication does not make it a medical device.

They can try to take it up with whom ever they want, but it clearly states what will happen if the are caught with a prohibited item.

While I agree with the OP, this was a crappy situation, did they do anything to remedy the situation while on the actual cruise?

Maybe explain the situation to the room steward and see if they could get you a small pair of scissors? Maybe go to guest services and explain the issue, maybe they could get a small pair of scissors.

A cruise is a lot of money to spend only to stew over a small problem at the beginning of a cruise. After the rude security I have a feeling that nothing could save this cruise for the OP.

I'm not completely blaming the OP here, but there are times when you have to pull yourself up and salvage the vacation the best you can.

I guess it depends on the security at the different ports, and /or how busy or non busy they are or their mood on a particular day

Practical solutions

- get NON child safe/easy open bottles for your pills/medicines

and/or get a weekly/monthly pill box and put the pills in there before you leave home.

- precut the bandages and put them in plastic bags

put a multi tool if you wish in your carry on (they way you said you always do don't know why you changed this time?)- even if it doesn't make it through you will be ok with the other "practical solutions"

I personally don't think of a multi tool/swiss army knife as a "medical tool"...

especially the "bottle opener" haha

While it is a pain, and sometimes doesn't make sense, this is the "law of the land" ever since the days of 9/11, on cruises they can/may enforce it strictly or not I guess

Edited by sharecruises

A group of 16 of us went on Glory last March . Some people had liquor . I listened as baggage porters told passengers if they gave him an extra large tip that their liquor would make it through X-ray that he mans ......guess what ? He lied . He took those large tips and people got busted !!! They lost their liquor and the porter had a good day !!!

Edited by Charleyann

A group of 16 of us went on Glory last March . Some people had liquor . I listened as baggage porters told passengers if they gave him an extra large tip that their liquor would make it through X-ray that he mans ......guess what ? He lied . He took those large tips and people got busted !!! They lost their liquor and the porter had a good day !!!

Well, duh, porters don't run the x-ray machines.

...So many great answers here. The problem that the OP had could have easily been avoided.

...You're not going to cruise Carnival again because Carnival security guards took your medical device. Your "medical device" was not taken by Carnival security guards. They were confiscated by Port Security, who were rightfully doing their job.

...The item that was being used as a "medical device" was a Leatherman multi-tool. Tools of the trade are not allowed on board. Yes, you may have been able to get the item through security in the past. This time you got caught.

...Best post here is the poster who suggested better planning for the situation. The people in my extended family who have problems with caps on pill bottles use regular caps, not the child-proof version. Also mentioned by the same poster was the pre-cutting of the bandages. Great idea.

...I'm sorry to hear that your cruise was ruined before you even entered the ship. I bet that with a little careful planning, you'll fully enjoy your next cruise.

Not fully true. The item they had is listed under items confiscated and disposed of. The item is not a medical device. It is a workman tool. Just because they used it to get into medication does not make it a medical device.

They can try to take it up with whom ever they want, but it clearly states what will happen if the are caught with a prohibited item.

This is a MINI-Leatherman, not a full sized one. I use Leathermans in my trade and there is no way a mini would do the job!

Serves them right for smuggling! :D

Yes. How about a cabin mate willing to help;) Why not prepack the meds before leaving home. That's what the containers you can buy at a drugstore are for.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all meds have to be in original containers with your name/doctors name, etc I do not think you can legally put a supply of Vicadin, Zanax, Valium, diabetic needles , etc in another container. Customs/security may think you are a drug dealer!, everything should be correctly labeled. I always have a few meds in my pocket, or in a small empty bottle for my purse, but not enough for the whole cruise, just for emergency use. I always have the original with me packed in carryon for myself and DH.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all meds have to be in original containers with your name/doctors name, etc I do not think you can legally put a supply of Vicadin, Zanax, Valium, diabetic needles , etc in another container. Customs/security may think you are a drug dealer!, everything should be correctly labeled. I always have a few meds in my pocket, or in a small empty bottle for my purse, but not enough for the whole cruise, just for emergency use. I always have the original with me packed in carryon for myself and DH.

I thought this too.

About the bandage tool, the clinic should have lent the op a pair of sterilized bandage scissors since they would not allow the op's own scissors.

Op, maybe contact the special needs department next time.

The whole thing sounds stupid.

I find that often people tend to trivialize the problems of others.

But when something happens to interfere with them it is usually another story.

I know that when someone took my keys and cellphone from the security check in (while they were shaking my water bottles) I was really upset.

Security did not take my problem seriously either.

I could not communicate with my husband at home and I was afraid that my car would be gone when we got back from the cruise.

The person who took my stuff eventually turned it in. My cell phone on the third day and my keys on the fourth or fifth day.

I had to call and get my phone cut off and spend a bunch of time talking to my trip insurance folks and worrying about getting a lock smith when we got back to port.

It was just a pita that I did not need.

In hindsight, I wish I had kept the little tool in my carryon like I had always done before. The only reason this was different was I used my daypack that morning and took it with me. I simply didn't change bags when we went back to the hotel to get our luggage.

The idea about using different caps or repacking the meds is not possible. These individual bottles are ampules that contain about 10 mL of liquid (about 1/3 FL oz). I was not dealing with pills.

Pre-cutting the bandages on my injury isn't possible either due to the complexity of the fit. However, I honestly didn't even think of getting scissors from the medical department on the ship. That was my error.

My pharmacy is getting me a few replacements for free. They give them out along with these prescriptions that come via ampules. They even have the drug manufacturer's name on the side. I bought my first one previously.

I did make a little progress with Carnival in that my future cruise did not sacrifice my deposit when cancelled. I don't have any response back from Carnival as to whether I can take such a tool in the future. However, I did get a favorable response back from NCL for one of these little tools.

I can hardly believe anyone would consider one of these "tools of trade" or as Leatherman tools. When folded, they are only the length of 2 quarters side by side.

Regardless of how this works out, my future vacations will not get disrupted by over zealous jerks on this issue. ;)

Edited by Flatland
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Tell Carnival you have two options you either return the device to me or be ready for a lawsuit, Yes its a simple tool but the security guard did not follow the rules. These security guards should be punished and ashamed for laughing at a customer. "The I'm sorry means nothing". They should have at least let you mail your item home.

When I went through airport security I accidentally left a swiss army knife in my carryon. The nice security guard allowed me to mail it home which I did as there was plenty of time. I apologized and the kind security guard said it happens a lot of the time and that they would rather see you have it when you get home than confiscate it.