Practicing an instrument Enchantment of the Seas

leighi123

We are going on a cruise on Enchantment of the Seas. My son plays the violin, and practices every day (yes, even on vacation, his choice, not mine! I don't mind him missing a few days but he insists, the whole violin thing was his idea in the first place!)

However, I do not want to annoy anyone on board because I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want to hear it.

Is there any good place for him to practice where we won't bother anyone? Its a violin, so not all that loud (at least no louder than a normal TV volume), so would in our cabin work? It takes him around 20-30min to practice at a time.

I asked this in another section on CC and was told to ask here - someone mentioned that instruments might not be allowed? Is this true? Why?

If it matters at all, he is only 6 and his violin is super tiny.

How delightful.

No where is there a 'rule' that you can not bring an instrument on board. If your cabin works... then try that. I'd suggest not to early or late... but if that doesn't work there are many places that are never used... or rarely used. Many outdoor areas... and indoor areas... look around... during the day most lounges are deserted. Outside upper decks. You should easily be able to find a place... :) I hope you and your son enjoy your cruise!

I'm a professional musician (fiddle player/violinist) and have cruised 4 times with my band on Royal Caribbean, playing for our fans for the week (not as a ship's musician). Bringing the instrument on board isn't a problem, just carry it on of course! I have practiced in my cabin in the middle or late afternoon numerous times with no complaints. However, what you might do is go to a violin shop and purchase a mute that fits on the bridge. This will dampen the sound enough, especially on a smaller violin, that it shouldn't carry through the cabin walls. You can also clip a clothes pin onto the bridge for a similar effect. Good luck to your son! I started begging my parents for a violin when I was six, but didn't get one until I was almost 9. Your son is lucky to get an early start and you never know where it might take him if he loves it and continues with it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Let me start by saying that my son was a multi instrument child growing up. He played violin, piano and saxaphone. So I understand the importance of practicing.

That being said, my advice to you would be to leave the violin at home. Your son is six. He will do whatever Mom and Dad tell him to do. While I am sure that he is adorable playing his violin - and probably good, especially if he is doing Suzuki method - a cruise is neither the time or the place for this. Just explain to him that only professional musicians are allowed to play music on board.

If he enjoys listening to music, be sure to read your compass and take him to hear some of the wonderful musicians that play in the centrum each evening. Enchantment has excellent live music from about 5pm until 10pm each night. I am sure your son would enjoy it.

Happy cruising! :)

I'm a professional musician (fiddle player/violinist) and have cruised 4 times with my band on Royal Caribbean, playing for our fans for the week (not as a ship's musician). Bringing the instrument on board isn't a problem, just carry it on of course! I have practiced in my cabin in the middle or late afternoon numerous times with no complaints. However, what you might do is go to a violin shop and purchase a mute that fits on the bridge. This will dampen the sound enough, especially on a smaller violin, that it shouldn't carry through the cabin walls. You can also clip a clothes pin onto the bridge for a similar effect. Good luck to your son! I started begging my parents for a violin when I was six, but didn't get one until I was almost 9. Your son is lucky to get an early start and you never know where it might take him if he loves it and continues with it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I was hoping someone would have an answer like this! I didn't know if there was a way to mute a violin or not. (Wind player here). Glad to have someone more knowledgable.

I think it's awesome your son loves his violin. For some people music is every bit as fun and relaxing as sitting at the pool with a book is to others. I don't see any reason to tell him to stop if he isn't causing a disruption.

PS - Musicians on average grow up to be stronger at math and in general academics than non-musicians. If he loves it, encourage it!

Just wanted to say how sweet I thought this post was... I think it's great you are encouraging him to make his own decisions! There is plenty of open space (especially in the aft on the walking track) that he could play and the wind will mute the sound. Plus, you will get some beautiful pictures/videos! Have a great cruise!

Just wanted to say how sweet I thought this post was... I think it's great you are encouraging him to make his own decisions! There is plenty of open space (especially in the aft on the walking track) that he could play and the wind will mute the sound. Plus, you will get some beautiful pictures/videos! Have a great cruise!

I thought it was very sweet too. And I'd tend to agree, no reason to discourage him. The musician who was knowledgeable about the "mute" was very helpful, and I honestly can't imagine that a short practice session in his cabin would be very disruptive anyway. I'd suggest late morning - maybe 11ish, because the late-sleeping partiers should be awake by then, and too early for much of a chance of someone taking a nap yet. I'm sure depending on the ship, a bit of exploring will also uncover pretty empty public places during the day too.

Pretty new here, and I guess I'm learning the ropes - it doesn't matter WHAT the topic of your post is, the trolls seem to be just waiting to jump and attack! Yikes!

My son plays the bagpipes. He knows enough not to bring them on a cruise.

Probably a little extreme in my example, right? But, just ask yourself this: if it will be disturbing other passengers, then don't do it. Now.. that's WIDE open to judgement, so just be reasonable. I think the mute idea is great.. no one will likely hear it.

To the other extreme.. if he's just a beginner, and the sounds coming from the voilin are less than "pleasant", imagine how that would be received in public.

So, OP, you are the judge on wether or not to bring it on board - but it seems to be no rule against it.

OP -

I’ve not read that musical instruments are banned, and thank you for being mindful of the other passengers.

There are many lounges that are empty at various times during the day. Some even have an empty stage area. I imagine he would get a kick out of “playing on stage”.

I’ve never head of the mute devise, but is may be your answer. I took piano lessons as an adult and luckily my piano had a mute pedal!

Enjoy

M

Rather than get conflicting information as to whether or not instruments are permitted, your best bet is to make a call to the cruise line and ask. While you're at, it ask if there is some quiet place that is not being used where he could practice. The theater is usually out of bounds because the dancers have closed practices and well as the musicians and other intertainers.

As with any question, the first person you ask may say no. Call back and ask again and maybe even a third time, If you get someone who gives you the go ahead, get their name and ask for an email confirmation signed by the person you spoke to as to where and when and be sure to take that email with you.

I work for a different cruise line, and musical instruments of any kind are strictly prohibited and are held by the cruise line at the terminal until the voyage is over. As previously posted, contact RCL and if they say it's ok, get it in writing. It may save you some grief.

Here is the list of prohibited items from Royal's website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&pagename=frequently_asked_questions&javascriptDisabled=true

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Coming personally from a mother of small children as well (7 and 5) I would try to discourage bringing the violin on the cruise, but I would certainly be supportive at home! Is this his first cruise? If so, there is so much going on with port days and exploring the ship he may not even have time.