Majesty out of Charlestown questions:

cliffd64

For those of you who have cruised on the Majesty (especially the Charlestown itineraries to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc) I have a few questions:

How does the Majesty hold up as far as "freestyle" goes? Being an older/smaller ship, does it accomodate this concept well? Are thre any pitfalls to avoid?

As you can see below, we have been on several of the other NCL ships, but have not read alot about the Majesty recently.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. We are planning to sail on her next February.

As you can see from my signature, we've been on the Majesty MANY times. We think the freestyle concept works well on this ship, depending on what time you like to dine. We always went to dinner after 6:30 PM. Most times (unless we had a reservation in LeBistro or La Tratorria) we would go to the Four Seasons, which is very near the Rendezvous Lounge (the designated "Latitudes" lounge on board). If there was a wait time, we'd simply put our names on the list, then go to the lounge for a drink and wait until it was our time!

The Seven Seas is also a beautiful restaurant (prettier than the Four Seasons, but that's just where we ended up most nights, for some reason). Same menu in both.

Enjoy the Majesty! We just LOVE this ship! :p

As you can see from my signature, we've been on the Majesty MANY times. We think the freestyle concept works well on this ship, depending on what time you like to dine. We always went to dinner after 6:30 PM. Most times (unless we had a reservation in LeBistro or La Tratorria) we would go to the Four Seasons, which is very near the Rendezvous Lounge (the designated "Latitudes" lounge on board). If there was a wait time, we'd simply put our names on the list, then go to the lounge for a drink and wait until it was our time!

The Seven Seas is also a beautiful restaurant (prettier than the Four Seasons, but that's just where we ended up most nights, for some reason). Same menu in both.

Enjoy the Majesty! We just LOVE this ship! :p

Thanks for the reply! :)

The Majesty was my first cruise so I can't compare the free style aspect. I can however tell you that we never waited more than 5 minutes for a table (and we ate at all different times; sometimes right at 5:30 and other times not till 7).

...worked well for us.

There are not MANY restaurants like some of the floating Malls cruising these days but what they have are fine and available.

Yes there was a breakfast buffet - by 'accessible' do you mean as in ADA accessible? The answer is 'yes' but I thought the buffet on the Majesty was throughly wretched. 100% god-awful. Think Shoney's after the food has set on the steam tables since 6am.

On the other hand, breakfast in the Seven Seas dinning room was very good - with no wait at all.

...worked well for us.

There are not MANY restaurants like some of the floating Malls cruising these days but what they have are fine and available.

Yes there was a breakfast buffet - by 'accessible' do you mean as in ADA accessible? The answer is 'yes' but I thought the buffet on the Majesty was throughly wretched. 100% god-awful. Think Shoney's after the food has set on the steam tables since 6am.

On the other hand, breakfast in the Seven Seas dinning room was very good - with no wait at all.

I meant more like... was it too crowded to think of getting something quick for breakfast..? On the Wind and the Dream, they cram the buffet in the "Sports Bar" and there is no where to sit, and the line ends up all the way down the hall.

Greg,

I am so sorry that your photos (from your Majesty cruise) have vanished...I so enjoyed looking at them. Any chance of you posting those somewhere again?

Also, you would be the perfect one to ask about how far the walk was from the ship to transportation at the ports. I had posted a question asking anyone who had done the Western Caribbean if they thought someone who could walk (but only a VERY limited amount) would be able to do any of the shore excursions. My dad will be taking a wheelchair but always prefers to walk when at all possible. We were thinking of just going to the beach to hang out in Cozumel & Grand Caymen. In Key West we thought about taking the trolley tour. The real question is how long the walk is from the ship to the bus at each port...and how far from the bus to the beach, and if there is anywhere to sit along the way?

I would really appreciate your help. Your review and photos were wonderful.:D

I had posted a question asking anyone who had done the Western Caribbean if they thought someone who could walk (but only a VERY limited amount) would be able to do any of the shore excursions. My dad will be taking a wheelchair but always prefers to walk when at all possible. We were thinking of just going to the beach to hang out in Cozumel & Grand Caymen. In Key West we thought about taking the trolley tour. The real question is how long the walk is from the ship to the bus at each port...and how far from the bus to the beach, and if there is anywhere to sit along the way?

Hello Again,

My parents, with a combined age of almost 160 years, did the activities shown in the photos in my previous post. The tour we did in Grand Caymen was something like a semi-sub/turtle farm combo that suited well with short walks. Getting into the semi-sub looks like a climb but it IS stairs and handrails along the way - along with a helpful crew.

Pushing a wheelchair on sand is very difficult .

In Cozumel a wheelchair might work better. You will see ecalators up to the overstreet shoppin area as you leave the ship - there is also a less easy to find elevator.

We we very fortunate in Cozumel. We hired a young man and his van on the pier who spent the day with my limited mobility group (wife's mom has great difficulty walking) for $85. He was great - we went all of the main Cozumel sights then Paradise Beach. Limited walking folks sat in large covered and paved bar/food area. http://gregcable.com/v-web/gallery/cruisedec04/CruiseDec2004_064

Same view and cold beer but with shade and no sand walking while my more active members went parasailing and wave-runnering - http://gregcable.com/v-web/gallery/cruisedec04/CruiseDec2004_072.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember how long the walk was from the ship to the bus/taxi? Was there anywhere to sit along the way? My Dad, (who has Parkinsons disease) is still so bent on not using his wheelchair...but honestly can only shuffle a few steps before needing to sit down. I have viewed some photos where it looks as if the walk from the ship to the nearest bus/taxi could be the length of several football fields with seemingly nowhere to stop and rest. What do you think?

Thanks for the photo link...seems like last time I tried it they weren't there any longer. I can't wait to see them again. :D

Thanks for the info. Do you remember how long the walk was from the ship to the bus/taxi? Was there anywhere to sit along the way? My Dad, (who has Parkinsons disease) is still so bent on not using his wheelchair...but honestly can only shuffle a few steps before needing to sit down. I have viewed some photos where it looks as if the walk from the ship to the nearest bus/taxi could be the length of several football fields with seemingly nowhere to stop and rest. What do you think?

Thanks for the photo link...seems like last time I tried it they weren't there any longer. I can't wait to see them again. :D

Bring a chair. I have not been on the Majesty but have been to all the ports. Just as a point of reference here is the webcam for the pier in Cozumel. No ships there now but you will dock along the far L and have walk all the way in and around to get to the cabs.

image23654.jpg

The Majesty is nice for a small ship, and the restaurants are excellent.

Just stay out of the buffet. It is very small, few choices and virtually nowhere to sit.

It is the only disappointment of the ship.

It's the only ship in which I ate all my meals in the restaurant, and thoroughly enjoyed that different experience (for us).

Archived