Parking and hotel near Cape Liberty

sharden

We will be sailing from Cape Liberty on the Explorer in June. Is it better to park at the pier OR stay at a hotel near the pier and us their shuttle and parking? We will be driving from western PA so no air is required.

Thanks in advance

Parking at the port will be $171. You can get a Hotwire room in Parsippany/Morristown for under $100 and easily drive to Bayonne after 9 am the morning of the cruise ( a Wed right?). When you disembark, your car is right there to start the long trip home.

If you do a park/sleep at Newark Airport, the least expensive will be $129 and you will have to pay for transportation to and from the port ( about $100) A cruise package at Country Inns will be $249 + tax. If you stay at Hampton Inn on Staten Island a room is $185 tax included plus breakfast, free parking, and free port transportation. However this is an extra distance and toll and you may not be able to pick your times for transportation to and from the port.

I was just going to post almost this exact same question!

I was wondering the same thing - whether to park at the pier or to stay at a hotel that offers free parking and a shuttle (paid or free) to the ship?

I am traveling with four small children if that makes a difference in someone's advice.

I am also wondering which option would keep our car safer? ( I realize there are no guarantees anywhere of course.)

Thanks for the information provided so far - I will start weighing the options.

If you need a room for 5 your options are severely limited in the Newark area. Not many hotels will accommodate five or more and the rooms go quickly.

Please post back your exact cruise date, total number of people including children's ages, your budget, and where you are driving from. With small children my instincts would be to pay to park at the pier simply for the ease and speed of debarkation and hitting the road home.

As an FYI, many hotels, especially in the EWR area are now charging for parking...not all, but several....and shuttles are rarely 'free' regardless of where you are.....

Just keep that in mind.....things may seem 'free', but you're paying for them....again, not all hotels are, but it seems that every time i look, or go up there, another one is adding on 10-15 bucks a day to park...

GRRR..

hence, some of the sites Carol 138 suggests like stay123 and trinity reservations can be useful.....

As for keeping the car safe, the pier area is fine, and the hotels we suggest in the EWR area are a bit safer than those we say to avoid......

There is a new Embassy Suites in Elizabeth (by the other hotels we suggest) so that may be a choice for you....I should go up there and poke around...it has only been open a month or so, if that...