Grenada on a Sunday

dacade

My wife and I will be visiting Grenada for the first time on Sunday, November 27th of this year. We would like to know if anyone out there has visited the island on a Sunday and if so, what you did. We are interested in experiencing the country's culture, but it seems that many of the sights and events are not offered on Sundays. (We prefer not to take a ship's tour).

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are also in Grenada on Nov. 27 on the Sea Princess. Because we've been told they are extremely religious and almost everything closes on Sundays, we had booked a ship tour. I chose the 5 star catamaran tour which includes lunch. Every ship tour keeps you from getting back to the ship for lunch anyway.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dacade - My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Grenada back in 2/03. It is true that many things are closed on Sunday. If you want an island tour, you can always hire a driver in St. George's - I found almost all of our cab drivers friendly and knowledgeable (we stayed outside St. George's so we took a lot of cabs.) You may not be able to do everything that you would on other days of the week (maybe no rum distillery or plantation tour) but many of Grenada's natural attributes are "open-air" and enjoyed freely - Grand Etang (the tour center may be closed, but the beauty is all outside) and the rain forests, for example. Of course, Grand Anse is great and it doesn't matter what day you spend at the beach!

My personal choice - we made a great friend of a waiter at our resort, Cyonne, who took us for a boat tour on Sunday, as it was his day off. It was the absolute best day of our trip and Cyonne is an honest, fun guy. Definitely a casual, relaxed tour (it's a small boat with an outboard motor, but well-kept and comfy) - we went to a tiny bar built on a pile of conch shells (really a shack with a cooler and picnic tables) and then a beach barbeque in a secluded bay where all the international boaters hang out. We had true island flavor on this tour! If you are interested in a laid-back, "real" island experience, I highly recommend Cyonne. Obviously, some things may have changed since Hurrican Ivan, but I'm certain Cyonne will do his best to show you a good time. If you are interested, I will do my best to look up his info - he works at Secret Harbor resort, a Moorings location on a picture-perfect marina.

Hope this info helps!

Sorry for the misinformation, folks! :o

A CC member with more current info than I just posted elsewhere that Secret Harbour resort closed, therefore, I don't know how to reach Cyonne. My heart is sad but Grenada has much more to offer visitors.

Still looking forward to my return visit in December!

Thanks for your understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Our ship, the Sun Princess, visited Grenada this past March (05) on Good Friday....we walked downtown and I can assure you that everything was closed. We found a cab and took a private tour for about 2 hours. At the pier, there are private stalls with folks selling spices, crafts, hand made soaps, and so on. We had a great time talking with them and buying a few things.

We were there just a couple of weeks after they opened the island back up to cruise ships.

marc

Archived