Passport Control on Ship.

Alessandrina

You would go through U.S. Customs/Immigration at your final destination (I'm assuming Whittier). Until then, you will be able to get on and off the ship at will. The times you can get off and should return and the tender procedures, if you're tendering, will be listed in the Patter you receive the night before.

If you board the ship in Vancouver and your next port is in the US, you will clear US customs in Vancouver, so when the ship gets to the first port in Alaska, you won't have to clear customs. US Customs has an inspection station set up in the Vancouver cruise terminal to screen passengers before you're even checked in. First you go through a metal detector and they x-ray your carry-ons, then you go through US customs, then you check in and get your cruise card and turn in your "No, I don't have Norwalk Virus" form. Then you get your picture taken if you want, and then you get on the ship. At least, that was the process in May. Once you've gotten through customs, the check-in process is VERY quick with very few lines. The real hold-up is getting through customs. The had 2 ships checking in at once (the Sun and a HAL ship, I think the Amsterdam but I don't remember for sure) on the day we were there, and I think 10 or 12 customs officer to handle all those passengers.

calikak's answer is the best. I can't imagine U.S. Customs letting anyone enter the United States from another country without going through inspection. After all, Canadians and other people are getting on the ship in Vancouver as well before arriving in Alaska.

The answer of course is that U.S. Customs "welcomes" you to the United States in Vancouver before you even get on the ship. Ditto at Vancouver Airport and some other major Canadian airports....you clear U.S. Customs before you board your plane to the United States.

BobK/Orlando

All the line ups are at the beginning of the trip in familier surroundings for me,one is rested and not sleepy.

Then it makes it so much easier at the other end,without having the long line up one can go straight to the luggage pick up...and when going on a cruise the smiling Princess Rep to guide one to the coach :)

Archived