Pinnacle reservations for friends

aachasman

We've also always received the discount when picking up the tab for the table. When our friends have treated us, they've also received whatever discount for which they are entitled.
Maybe 3* get treated differently from 4*/5*. Or maybe because it was the inaugural season the N.A. was going "by the book" and not extending the discount to guests that didn't qualify. I'm simply pointing out that it may not happen. Edited by catl331

As a 5* Mariner, I get two dinners in the Pinnacle, per cruise, with no charge.

While on a 1-week cruise last year I invited a friend to join me, expecting that I would use my included dinners for both of us. I was very surprised to find a charge for his dinner on my bill. This was the only time I have ever tried to use my benefit to apply to another person, so was not sure how it would work.

Since he is a 4* Mariner, the appropriate discount was applied, however.

Edited by RuthC

As a 5* Mariner, I get two dinners in the Pinnacle, per cruise, with no charge.

While on a 1-week cruise last year I invited a friend to join me, expecting that I would use my included dinners for both of us. I was very surprised to find a charge for his dinner on my bill. This was the only time I have ever tried to use my benefit to apply to another person, so was not sure how it would work.

Since he is a 4* Mariner, the appropriate discount was applied, however.

This is a little bit of a different situation. I'm cruising Sunday and will ask point blank what the policy is and report back.

... and will ask point blank what the policy is and report back.
The policy was quoted in post #23. Ask if they enforce the policy. But even if your ship doesn't, another might.

Edited by jtl513

• 2 weeks later...
This is a little bit of a different situation. I'm cruising Sunday and will ask point blank what the policy is and report back.

Just returned from a wonderful Western Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam. Last night I had dinner in the Pinnacle and popped the question to the Maitre'd. The answer I received was a qualified maybe. Yes, the official policy is the discount is applicable only to the guests in the cabin. However, if the cardholder with the mariner discount wants the entire tab charged to his sail card, HAL will not make an issue of it and the discount will be applied to the entire tab. Of course, if some 4 star mariner comes in with 20 guests and wants to pick up the entire tab, HAL is probably going to balk at this.

My take on this: If you really want to treat another couple for a Pinnacle dinner, I feel applying the discount to the total tab is appropriate. Unfortunately, this can be readily abused - the most likely scenario is the supposed "guests" reimbursing the host for the discounted cost of their dinner. I understand no way to enforce this but, if abuses become extreme, HAL is likely to require each cabin to pay with their own card.