RCI vs NCL Entertainment

SLCBoys

I'm really excited to be back on the Jewel in just over a week but thinking back about RCI's entertainment I'm hoping RCI has improved.

I was on NCL's Breakaway in November and I was VERY impressed with the different entertainment. Burn the Floor was awesome and Rock of Ages was fun and well done. They had a woman singing tributes to Whitney Houston one night and a variety of different Decades music on other nights, she had an awesome voice! Dueling Piano's, comedy clubs or just a relaxing night at the martini bar with a piano player made the whole vacation. I don't recall what else they had at the moment but I do remember not being able to see everything I wanted too.

I've never really felt on a RCI ship to have so many entertainment options that truly kept us busy every night with something different. I can say they didn't have Quest so there's a one up on NCL! :D

I haven't been on a Freedom Class for a while or ever on Oasis class, perhaps better entertainment is reserved for the newer ships?

I've been VERY loyal to Royal but certainly willing to work on my Diamond Plus equivalent status on another line if it's the same old stuff on the RCI ships. Anyone else feeling like entertainment is lacking??

We just cruised the Jewel a few weeks ago and found the entertainment sadly lacking.

Only one show with singers and dancers and that wasn't until Thursday night on a Saturday to Saturday cruise. Furthermore the show was supposedly brand new with only 6 days of rehearsal. Too bad they didn't need 8 days of rehearsal! Entire show was uncomfortably disjointed with no coordination between costuming and musical selections. It was not the fault of the singers or dancers either. Also won't forget the people sitting behind us who were obviously involved with creating this ridiculous production and yelled "Bravo" roughly 35 times throughout the 45 minutes. Actually reconsidering, this show was laughably bad.

On other evenings, there was an abundance of almost funny comedians and a 2-man juggling/comedy act which was boring after 15 minutes.

Several evenings "entertainment" consisted of audience-participation games instead of professional acts.

Considering the total package, this was the worst entertainment on any of our 42 cruises.

Edited by DGSFlorida

I think it really depends on the ship...I think in general NCL's new ships are trying to keep up with the entertainment on RCI's Oasis class ships. The entertainment was very good on Freedom and excellent on Oasis. I really did not care for the entertainment on the NCL Epic, even thoughnwe thoughtnit was a great ship and would sail on it again. Entertainment can be subjective. Many people love Blue Man Group but we were bored to tears during the show :D

NCL has had good entertainment for a long time. NCL had Broadway shows 25 years ago on a number of ships. Of course, the new and larger ships generally have better entertainment on all lines.

If Royal's entertainment has regressed, as some here have suggested, that's sad because Carnival's new entertainment options are a large step back and that would represent a trend.

We just cruised the Jewel a few weeks ago and found the entertainment sadly lacking.

Only one show with singers and dancers and that wasn't until Thursday night on a Saturday to Saturday cruise. Furthermore the show was supposedly brand new with only 6 days of rehearsal. Too bad they didn't need 8 days of rehearsal! Entire show was uncomfortably disjointed with no coordination between costuming and musical selections. It was not the fault of the singers or dancers either. Also won't forget the people sitting behind us who were obviously involved with creating this ridiculous production and yelled "Bravo" roughly 35 times throughout the 45 minutes. Actually reconsidering, this show was laughably bad.

On other evenings, there was an abundance of almost funny comedians and a 2-man juggling/comedy act which was boring after 15 minutes.

Several evenings "entertainment" consisted of audience-participation games instead of professional acts.

Considering the total package, this was the worst entertainment on any of our 42 cruises.

I understand your dis satisfaction but isnt the jewel very port intensive like 5 or 6 ports in a seven day cruise . I am looking at the jewel for next year just to finish out my southern Caribbean bucket list any live entertainment will be a bonus .

Jewel's shows are awful. We were not impressed by the singers, dancers or musicians in the Royal group. Very glad to have recently experienced Liberty to learn that is not the standard for RCCL.

The music choices we experienced around the ship were varied and plenty. If we were to sail her again we would focus on that aspect.