Breakaway Weather at Sea Question

123vaca

I'm trying to pack for 2/23 sailing but I'm really struggling with this trip. Usually I can just pack all warm weather clothes but leaving out of NY (and and driving from the midwest) I can't get out of cold weather mode. I find myself piling up sweaters, debating about long johns, wool socks and the like. Can someone on a recent sailing say how the weather was on embarkation, at sea days, etc?

I'm trying to pack for 2/23 sailing but I'm really struggling with this trip. Usually I can just pack all warm weather clothes but leaving out of NY (and and driving from the midwest) I can't get out of cold weather mode. I find myself piling up sweaters, debating about long johns, wool socks and the like. Can someone on a recent sailing say how the weather was on embarkation, at sea days, etc?

I cruise every January. I never bring ANY cold weather stuff. The first day at sea I wear capris and a short sleeve top with a cardigan and Ive always been fine.

I cruise every January. I never bring ANY cold weather stuff. The first day at sea I wear capris and a short sleeve top with a cardigan and Ive always been fine.

This must vary a lot depending on what the weather decides to do that week and your own personal cold tolerance! We sailed from NY in late May last year and for sailaway I wore jeans, t-shirt, light weight hoodie, AND a fleece jacket and was still a bit chilly. I hadn't planned on taking the fleece, but woke up that morning (took the train into NY the morning of sailing), stepped outside, and realized I would freeze without it.

You probably don't need wool socks and long johns, but I would definitely take at least 1 pair of pants and a jacket.

This must vary a lot depending on what the weather decides to do that week and your own personal cold tolerance! We sailed from NY in late May last year and for sailaway I wore jeans, t-shirt, light weight hoodie, AND a fleece jacket and was still a bit chilly. I hadn't planned on taking the fleece, but woke up that morning (took the train into NY the morning of sailing), stepped outside, and realized I would freeze without it.

You probably don't need wool socks and long johns, but I would definitely take at least 1 pair of pants and a jacket.

I wasnt talking about sailaway. I ASSUMED :D that the OP would wear cold weather clothes TO the cruise! I wear jeans warm top and jacket gloves etc and I dont change embarkation day. I wear the same outfit going home on disembarkation day. Other than that the first day at sea a sweater over capris and a short sleeve top have always been fine, however I dont hang out outside the first day. Its always been plenty warm for the balcony.

Edited by boopsahoy

Im always cold and usually pack 2 neutral color sweaters in case I need them in the evening. For me usually black and white goes with most of the stuff I wear at night. I don't always need them but I have them if I do. When you leave NY you will be somewhere near North Carolina the following morning so its usually not cold, we were on the Feb. 2 sailing and we sat outside after breakfast with short sleeved shirts. That doesn't always happen but the most you might need that morning would be a sweat shirt. I found the BA to be a nice temperature, most times I didn't even use a sweater. On our way home if was raining and pretty cold so I stayed indoors and wore crop pants and a T shirt on the ship. No long Johns needed. If you are going with someone who tends to be hot all of the time, I would suggest short sleeve shirts for the evenings as I said I find the BA to be a comfortable temp for me and Im always cold. DH is usually warm so I only pack short sleeve shirts for the evenings and a light jacket or sweat shirt for when its a little chilly outside.

I hope you have the best cruise ever! The BA is a beautiful ship and her crew members are amazing!

We're on the same cruise. I don't think you need to stress about packing - just pack layerable clothing that can be mixed and matched. I always pack a hoodie, a pair of jeans, and a cardigan or two in neutral colors that will go with my warm-weather options. DH also packs jeans and a hoodie, a pair of slacks, and two long-sleeved shirts that he usually wears with the sleeves rolled up (but they can be rolled down if it's cold). That's our cold weather plan - though I'm sure we'll be wearing coats to the port and we can grab them if it's chilly onboard and we want to be on deck. Other than that, just normal warm-weather clothing.

We were on the 2 day cruise to nowhere 10 days ago. We only went as far south as off the coast of Maryland, where we spent our "day at sea". Sitting on the Waterfront on Saturday (the sea day), temp was probably about 60 degrees, warmer out of the wind, in a sweater with no jacket, it was nice. Your sailing will be further south than this on your first and last sea days, and I suspect this would be the most clothing that is required. Wear your winter clothes and coat on embarkation day and disembarkation day (nobody will notice if you wear the same thing, i wore black pants, black boots, a mid weight sweater, plus outerwear) and bring a cardigan or two for cool nights on board or if it's chilly on deck for your sea days. Barring another "polar vortex", you shouldn't see any daytime weather below 60 except on embarkation and disembarkation days.

Robin

I'm having a hard time, too. I set sail on THIS SUNDAY 2/16!!! I can't wait!

Obviously I will wear my cool weather clothes to the port and at sail away. I have my nights covered, it's during the day I'm having a hard time with. I will definitely be packing with layers in mind! (tanks, tees, cardigans, jeans, etc) I can't wait to hit the warm air!

HI,

I have cruised twice out of NY in the winter. You would need really heavy jackets if you planed on sitting outside for a long time the first day.

Remember the ship is enclosed and they keep it a nice even temperature inside to keep everyone comfortable. My first cruise I forgot that and packed heavy clothes for the first and last day.

In December I wore one turtle neck and packed one with a light jacket and my shawl that I use at night in the dining room. When I went on deck I may not have bee the height of fashion but I was warm and could peel off layers as I warmed up.

Enjoy your cruise.

I wasnt talking about sailaway. I ASSUMED :D that the OP would wear cold weather clothes TO the cruise! I wear jeans warm top and jacket gloves etc and I dont change embarkation day. I wear the same outfit going home on disembarkation day. Other than that the first day at sea a sweater over capris and a short sleeve top have always been fine, however I dont hang out outside the first day. Its always been plenty warm for the balcony.

This is pretty much what I do. Remember, if it's too cold outside on deck, you can just go inside until the ship gets to warmer climates.

When they tell you it's going to be "chilly" in Florida or the Bahamas, they mean temperatures in the 60's. At this point in the winter (it's 18 degrees F here and due to be 5 degrees by morning), that's plenty warm enough for the summer clothes. Layers are key, and remember that a dry towel can keep you warm.

Thanks all, this helps. I try to pack light and I was joking about the long johns/wool socks for the cruise. I feel like they have become a regular part of my wardrobe this winter though!

Me too. Long Johns are what I wear these days!

We did Feb 2-9 and on the first full sea day (Monday), this is me in Spice H20 at 11 AM. :D It was about 70* (but sun was hot) so don't pack too heavy.

10xzn9l.jpg

We were also sitting out right after breakfast ,it was nice and warm that first morning. It just depends on the weather in North Carolina, yesterday and today it would have been in the 30's which is pretty unusual… Take a look at the 10 day forecast for Cape Hatteras, North Carolina and you will get an idea of how your first day will be as far as the weather is concerned.