Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

Walter, I always say that NCL offers the best suite experience, with both concierge and butler services. I agree with you about all the unnecessary calls to our suite last summer on the Eclipse, but I really ignored those. I'll come back after our Reflection cruise in July to report on Michael's club concierge services. ;)

I look forward to hearing your report.

vulcan1971a@aim.com

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

On Royal Caribbean, suite passengers go to the concierge lounge for snacks and drinks, but on Celebrity you have a butler who will bring whatever you want to you.

Royal has some of the weakest suite perks in the industry. The CL is about the only decent perk that one receives.

We have enjoyed concierge services with NCL, RCCL and Disney Cruise Line and never felt that they were pushing excursions and add ons. Completely the opposite, the concierge is there to help you and make your life easier, something that Celebrity was lacking even though the butlers are wonderful. Waiting for your report after the TA. Happy cruising!:)

We have never had an issue on either NCL, RCI or X.

What I'm saying is they are and do.... My last cruise in March, I had a letter waiting with a selection of exclusive offerings from the suite concierge, got several additional cards and offerings delivered to my cabin, and had a phone call to discuss and voicemail offering services.

They are definitely there to push sales. I feel the butler is there mostly for making life comfortable and fills that role.

Of course the concierge will do all sorts of free things, but that they are now reaching out in advance of cruises and providing all these extra pushes to fancy excursions, that's to bring $$ in.

There is a concierage onboard, a destination concierge and a suite concierge. Maybe it was the destination concierge who was trying to sell you?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

There is a concierage onboard, a destination concierge and a suite concierge. Maybe it was the destination concierge who was trying to sell you?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Exactly.... the suite concierge at Michael's Club (Concierge Lounge), is something new in Celebrity. I'm looking forward to the suite guests reports from ship to ship. Like RCCL we will find that some concierge are better than others. ;) Now, the important question is; should someone start a new thread with a list of the concierges or should we add the suite concierge to the Who's on board thread? I vote for a new thread, like the one in RCCL's Board. :)

Actually, if your comment is correct (having no trouble filling suites) then I guess my thought would be why give them more bang for their buck? Why spend more money on suite guests, while at the same time risking annoying (or worse) the large majority, if they are having no problem filling suites?? Makes no sense to me.

This makes a lot of sense. The fact is that cruise lines don't really make very much profit from the average cruiser and they need to find ways increase their profits. Everyone has seen all of the cutbacks where Celebrity is trying to save a dollar anywhere possible. Celebrity expects to make a lot more profit from the suite guests with higher prices. There is very little to make the suite guests feel special under the current system, so they cannot justify higher prices. I am sure Celebrity feel that this will allow them to compete with the luxury cruise lines with every ship. Celebrity will offer the benefits of larger ships with luxury ship treatment. If you currently enjoy suites on Celebrity, get ready for much higher prices.

Edited by dz9yvr