Nikon Coolpix AW 100

Mistifish22

I'm searching for a simple point and shoot that I could use during snorkeling. Just shallow waters. I want the flexibility of digital, so I'm not interested in the disposable cameras, but I don't want to spend an arm and leg for a camera I may not use that often. I'm not a camera buff, so as long as it's a clear photo, I'm a happy girl. Lol. Does anyone on here have experience with this camera? Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'll buy a back up battery and two 16G memory cards. Should that be enough for a 7 day cruise. I've been researching and I feel like I'm in way over my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The AW100 is an older model. You can probably find them pretty cheap refurbished... $150? The AW110 is the current model with somewhat more rugged specs... fairly similar in performance? Maybe $200? I've never used either. The AW120 comes out soon, and has a faster lens. This can be important for underwater shots, as light is lost pretty quickly once you go under.

Olympus makes a couple of rugged cameras, as does Fuji and Panasonic and Canon, I think. You can also buy a waterproof case for a regular point and shoot camera. My guess is you'll probably have fun with whatever your first underwater camera is.

Chandler

A little over a year ago, I purchased the AW100 to have a small, waterproof camera for use on an upcoming trip to Antarctica when it might be too wet or slippery for me to have my DSLR out. (I'd previously tried out the Olympus TG-1 and was unhappy with the quality of its images and thought it far too pricey for what it was.) With the caveat that I haven't used the AW100 underwater (yet!), I've been very happy with this camera; good quality images for what it is, and I think it's reasonably priced. As others have said, there are newer models out now.

Whatever camera you buy, make sure to follow the instructions for underwater use in terms of making sure all the seals are clean and everything is closed, and rinsing off after use in saltwater, etc.

I second your plan to have at least one backup battery. As for the memory cards, memory is cheap, I always want to have plenty of cards. You should also consider swapping out cards after a day or so, so that you don't have all of your images from your trip on one card, in case something happens to the card or your camera. (And this is particularly true since you'll be taking it to the beach and ocean.)

Here are some photos (above the water :) ) that I took with the AW100:

AW100DSCN00741024x768_zps63967a61.jpg

Gentoosgreettheship1024x768_zps7fc3fea1.jpg

AW100gentoos1024x709_zps0f8864f5.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I just picked up an AW110. I'm missing the lack of full manual control (I use a DSLR for 99% of my shots so I like the manual controls - but an underwater housing would be cost prohibitive unless it was generating revenue). The battery seems to drain faster sitting around than my DSLR batteries. I constantly fear smudging the lens. The zoom is nice as long as you stay in the optical range. The video is nice. The depth/altitude gauge seems kind of loopy in its estimations (I thought GPS was supposed to be a bit more accurate than telling me Im at -20' when standing next to a sign that reads elevation 70'). The camera is a joke in low light for me - noisy and/or blurry images.

I haven't actually tried it underwater yet, but I'm hoping all the reviews (that I read AFTER purchasing the camera) about water infiltration are inaccurate or wont apply to me.

I haven't actually tried it underwater yet, but I'm hoping all the reviews (that I read AFTER purchasing the camera) about water infiltration are inaccurate or wont apply to me.

When I bought my underwater camera (Olympus 8010) there were reviews about water intrusion, but I never had any issues. My conclusion then is:

1. people over exaggerate the truth - whatever that may be.

2. some may have an agenda. Perhaps they are a competitor manufacturer or dealer (or even customer) with reason to criticize the competition.

3. people do not read the manual (there are 10 pages of do/don'ts to maintain waterproofness in my camera's manual).

4. people do not maintain their equipment (inspect seals for hair, sand, etc).

5. people use waterproof cameras in too deep water. Cameras are depth rated in static water - if you are in a raging current, you have to reduce that rating.

I suppose there are some legitimate issues, but it's just as likely in my view to be caused by one of the above reasons. I think the old saying to believe half of what you hear applies here.

Edited by awboater

I'm searching for a simple point and shoot that I could use during snorkeling. Just shallow waters. I want the flexibility of digital, so I'm not interested in the disposable cameras, but I don't want to spend an arm and leg for a camera I may not use that often. I'm not a camera buff, so as long as it's a clear photo, I'm a happy girl. Lol. Does anyone on here have experience with this camera? Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'll buy a back up battery and two 16G memory cards. Should that be enough for a 7 day cruise. I've been researching and I feel like I'm in way over my head.

I'm glad I saw this post because I am completely over my head in the camera research as well. I just want good pictures and a camera that will not malfunction during my cruise.

I have one. It is a very good camera for snorkeling, as long as you do some post-processing - I use Photoshop Elements. The only issue is that the viewfinder can be difficult to see in shallow waters, really in bright sunlight, so I will be trying to find a hood before my next trip.

These photos were snorkeling just off-shore in the Caymans - we went to the beach resort excursion, and just walked into the water, so we weren't very deep, at all.

ImageUploadedByForums1392594343.504931.jpg.44bbc00b8434c5291c1fcfde4c9e6370.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1392594360.322501.jpg.4416dd9e0d083703d9a394501fbfc553.jpg

I do make sure to clean it per the instructions after each use, but it has survived three trips so far. I would buy an upgraded model, for sure.

We have our iPads with us, so we can unload our memory cards, but as someone said, memory is cheap, just take extras. If you have a device that has a card reader, you don't need to use the battery to download photos. I charge my battery each night, but an extra battery is a good idea.

Kevin

I have one. It is a very good camera for snorkeling, as long as you do some post-processing - I use Photoshop Elements. The only issue is that the viewfinder can be difficult to see in shallow waters, really in bright sunlight, so I will be trying to find a hood before my next trip.

These photos were snorkeling just off-shore in the Caymans - we went to the beach resort excursion, and just walked into the water, so we weren't very deep, at all.

[ATTACH]302514[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]302515[/ATTACH]

I do make sure to clean it per the instructions after each use, but it has survived three trips so far. I would buy an upgraded model, for sure.

We have our iPads with us, so we can unload our memory cards, but as someone said, memory is cheap, just take extras. If you have a device that has a card reader, you don't need to use the battery to download photos. I charge my battery each night, but an extra battery is a good idea.

Kevin

I have an issue with that. PS Elements or whatever software us fine however only if you have a raw file.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

I have an issue with that. PS Elements or whatever software us fine however only if you have a raw file.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

Both of the photos I posted were "high-quality" JPEGs from the camera, with post done in Elements. I added a high-pass filter layer to sharpen it, and a Levels layer to balance the contrast.

You may get better results processing raw, but that is a purists's debate. You can certainly process JPEGs in Elements.

Kevin

Both of the photos I posted were "high-quality" JPEGs from the camera, with post done in Elements. I added a high-pass filter layer to sharpen it, and a Levels layer to balance the contrast.

You may get better results processing raw, but that is a purists's debate. You can certainly process JPEGs in Elements.

Kevin

IMO if everything else is equal you're FAR better off with a RAW file than the JPG. The RAW file isn't truncated and has all the original information. When it comes to processing the more info you start with the better. So while some can eke a good image out of a JPG - they'd probably get a better image from a RAW file.

But Im not a disciple of Ken Rockwell.:D

IMO if everything else is equal you're FAR better off with a RAW file than the JPG. The RAW file isn't truncated and has all the original information. When it comes to processing the more info you start with the better. So while some can eke a good image out of a JPG - they'd probably get a better image from a RAW file.

But Im not a disciple of Ken Rockwell.:D

I don't think you're going to find a lot of point & shoot waterproof cameras that also shoot RAW. The OP's question is about a camera that doesn't shoot RAW.

You can get a waterproof case for a DSLR, and shoot RAW, but now you're talking about more cost than the OP was going to spend on a camera, and you would still need to buy the DSLR to go in the case.

So, saying you're far better off with RAW in a P&S discussion is like saying you need to be able to tow thousands of pounds with a Ford Focus. It's a pointless discussion.

Kevin

I don't think you're going to find a lot of point & shoot waterproof cameras that also shoot RAW. The OP's question is about a camera that doesn't shoot RAW.

You can get a waterproof case for a DSLR, and shoot RAW, but now you're talking about more cost than the OP was going to spend on a camera, and you would still need to buy the DSLR to go in the case.

So, saying you're far better off with RAW in a P&S discussion is like saying you need to be able to tow thousands of pounds with a Ford Focus. It's a pointless discussion.

Kevin

Ditto. The point is moot for 2 reasons. The OP probably wants to stick to scene or auto (which means JPG) and I don't know of any rugged underwater camera that shoots raw... check that. There's a new nikon mirrorless ILC that says it shoots underwater. Pretty wierd.

As I understand it, if you are interested in image quality raw is the way to go underwater. You lose certain spectrum of light within just a few feet of the surface. You can correct this a few ways. You can use strobes. You can use a red (for blue water) filter. You can boost certain colors in post. This is far more effective with raw as there are more of the original colors there to boost...

If one is interested in raw, the SLR is not the only option. Cannon s95/100, Olympus xz 1/2, Sony RX100.... and a waterproof case. Sometimes not prohibitively expensive. When I was looking to buy I saw a very good price on a case for the Olympus xz1 and ran to ebay to pick up a refurbished xz1. Maybe $400 total.

Review for the OP. The Nikon sounds like a good inexpensive way to start snapping underwater.