Is Carnival Training Employees right?

ToAdam12

Check out the link

This was aboard a carnival ship and it hit bad weather which cause a window to blow out. Basically what happened next is an electrical fire from one of the flat screen TV's. Then around the 7:30 carnival cruise ship worker comes up and assess the situation. His idea to fight the fire was...let me splash water on. Then when that doesn't work let me try to beat the tv off-the-wall. A few minutes latter two other ships personnel come in with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. I question the training of of carnival crew because anyone who has ever fought a fire knows that you don't put water on electrical fires. This is basic knowledge and I feel like they should know better. So yes I question the safety training of Carnival coworkers. What are your thoughts? Hurry and comment on this because Cruise critic will take this down. If you don't believe me subscribe to this and see how long it's active.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Training is one thing, putting that training into action in the moment is a whole other thing.

People panic and do stupid things. For most people their natural reaction to fire is water even if they were trained to know better. It happens all the time.

Its always easy to judge when you are sitting safely outside the situation.

Training is one thing, putting that training into action in the moment is a whole other thing.

People panic and do stupid things. For most people their natural reaction to fire is water even if they were trained to know better. It happens all the time.

Did u watch the clip the co-worker showed little panic.

Plus these ppl are charged with our safety while we are miles from land. Yes arm chair QB is easy but would you say the same thing if that fire had spread and disabled the ship or worse. On the ocean everything is more important.

Did you have nothing else to do today but to dig up a video from 2011? I think 3 years might have made a difference since that issue.

2011 yes but there was an electrical fire aboard the magic about a month ago. Multiple ppl on board reported water in the hall ways. The Valor a week ago fire in a cabin which disabled two cabins. The Triumph I can keep going on. Fire is no joke no matter when it is.

No I did not watch the video. I hate watching videos online.

Did the fire spread? Were there injuries?

No it did not spread due to two other crew members acting correctly and using ABC fire extinguisher. You may hate watching videos but it does raise questions about training and safety.

Did you have nothing else to do today but to dig up a video from 2011? I think 3 years might have made a difference since that issue.

Maybe the first crew member who honestly tried to rip the TV off the wall.

No it did not spread due to two other crew members acting correctly and using ABC fire extinguisher. You may hate watching videos but it does raise questions about training and safety.

Other crew acted appropriately so possibly the issue was with the individual and not the training.

Fire was contained, I'm satisfied.

Other crew acted appropriately so possibly the issue was with the individual and not the training.

I understand completely what u mean but look at the fire on the sensation that yes was more than a few years ago. The fire spread so quickly that engulfed the entire back of the ship. Luckily it was close enough to port that it could be put out by local fire rescue boats. One person can be the solution or cause of. I am saying this because of the training. Which can save lives

Edited by ToAdam12

Plus you are playing the result. If you watch the video you can see how big and how fast the fire started to spread.

2011 yes but there was an electrical fire aboard the magic about a month ago. Multiple ppl on board reported water in the hall ways. The Valor a week ago fire in a cabin which disabled two cabins. The Triumph I can keep going on. Fire is no joke no matter when it is.

Multiple people reported raw sewage running down the walls on the Triumph too. But with all the pictures people took on the ship no one had a picture of that. Just because "lots of people" report something just doesn't make it true.

Multiple people reported raw sewage running down the walls on the Triumph too. But with all the pictures people took on the ship no one had a picture of that. Just because "lots of people" report something just doesn't make it true.

Your missing the point entirely. Watch the clip and I'm not getting in to the she said he he thing. If you chose not to believe the report than so be it. The the training of crew is what I'm questioning watch the clip and ask yourself does he make a good point? Look I've said it before when you are on a cruise ship you are miles away from shore and if one crew member who does not respond correctly to a situation that causes a ship wide fire that is a big deal. Thankfully this did not happen this time but watching the clip makes you question the training of the crew.

Wow! The video could be viewed a lot of ways. But I believe it was Handled with the utmost care. Maintain scene safety, extinguish fire.

What you did not see was The crew evacuated guest from the area after the water intrusion. Area was empty and Salt water shorted the tv. A passing crew member saw the fire and yelled to other crew. Being trained properly he assumed the lead onscene command for a incipient fire while others grabbed the extinguisher. So he tried to collect water and dislodge tv from wall but fire was to big. Fire team then showed up and put fire out.

I believe that is how I was trained in marine firefighting. I work for an US oil company and in the Marine world safety is the utmost important concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Aeeo

People panic and do stupid things. For most people their natural reaction to fire is water even if they were trained to know better. It happens all the time. Its always easy to judge when you are sitting safely outside the situation.

This! I have seen folks trained in First Aid not doing the correct thing in an emergency. It happens. Some folks just are not equipped to deal with an emergency in a calm and appropriate manner. But, others who are better able to handle it were there and contained the fire.

It does happen. But, I have to agree with the others. Why are you trying to stir a pot with a clip that is 3 years old??? Slow morning?

Wow! The video could be viewed a lot of ways. But I believe it was Handled with the utmost care. Maintain scene safety, extinguish fire.

What you did not see was The crew evacuated guest from the area after the water intrusion. Area was empty and Salt water shorted the tv. A passing crew member saw the fire and yelled to other crew. Being trained properly he assumed the lead onscene command for a incipient fire while others grabbed the extinguisher. So he tried to collect water and dislodge tv from wall but fire was to big. Fire team then showed up and put fire out.

I believe that is how I was trained in marine firefighting. I work for an US oil company and in the Marine world safety is the utmost important concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you believe splashing water on an electrical fire is the right thing? Yes the areas clearly abandoned I'm not talking about that I'm talking about the way they handle the initial situation. The first responder in this situation code have made the situation much much worse. Yes there were others people involved in this but the initial reaction is what I'm talking about training all crew members are responsible for guest safety.

This! I have seen folks trained in First Aid not doing the correct thing in an emergency. It happens. Some folks just are not equipped to deal with an emergency in a calm and appropriate manner. But, others who are better able to handle it were there and contained the fire.

It does happen. But, I have to agree with the others. Why are you trying to stir a pot with a clip that is 3 years old??? Slow morning?

You are 100% correct not everyone can deal with situations accordingly but in this situation the crewmember splashed water on an electrical fire which could have caused the fire to spread more than it did it. They were lucky that the that two other crewmembers were there to put out the fire. I'm not stirring the pot I am bringing up the point that training is lacking in fire safety. All crewmembers are responsible for the safety of passengers while at sea. One crewmember who does not act correctly. Can cause a horrific accident. Case in point costa concordia one crewmember messed up granted it was the captain but still one crewmember can make a world of difference

You are 100% correct not everyone can deal with situations accordingly but in this situation the crewmember splashed water on an electrical fire which could have caused the fire to spread more than it did it. They were lucky that the that two other crewmembers were there to put out the fire. I'm not stirring the pot I am bringing up the point that training is lacking in fire safety. All crewmembers are responsible for the safety of passengers while at sea. One crewmember who does not act correctly. Can cause a horrific accident. Case in point costa concordia one crewmember messed up granted it was the captain but still one crewmember can make a world of difference

Are "ALL" crewmembers trained in fire fighting skills though? My thoughts were that maybe that crew member was not a part of the fire response team and was maybe responding to the flooding. It did seem that the others were the Fire team and arrived prepared with the proper extinguishers.

I would think the same type of thing could happen anywhere. I really wasn't that alarmed at the video. It seemed like the proper response team arrived quickly after the fire was smoking enough to be picked up by the detection system.

Are "ALL" crewmembers trained in fire fighting skills though? My thoughts were that maybe that crew member was not a part of the fire response team and was maybe responding to the flooding. It did seem that the others were the Fire team and arrived prepared with the proper extinguishers.

I would think the same type of thing could happen anywhere. I really wasn't that alarmed at the video. It seemed like the proper response team arrived quickly after the fire was smoking enough to be picked up by the detection system.

All crewmembers are training in basic firefighting skills which include oil electrical and different types of fires. There is a separate fire response team. Which they are training in advanced firefighting skills but all crew members are trained in firefighting.

The problem is that everyone is human and there will always be a chance of human error. Until an emergency happens no one can be certain how anyone would react. This crewmember could have had excellent training, but panicked. It happens. Nothing can be done to eliminate human error and unless you want to live in a bubble you have to trust that the person coming to help you can actually help.

This has nothing to do with Carnival as it is probably throughout the crusing industry. You have to trust that even if one person panics then someone else is around that won't. There are no assurances on any cruiseline that this could not happen. I would assume that there are many, many more incidents that are not escalated by a panicked responder. They just don't get documented.

They were lucky that the that two other crewmembers were there to put out the fire. I'm not stirring the pot I am bringing up the point that training is lacking in fire safety. Case in point costa concordia one crewmember messed up granted it was the captain but still one crewmember can make a world of difference

Was there a fire on the Concordia?:confused: Are you a fire safety trainer? How do you know what training all crewmembers get? Are you an emplyoee pf the cruise line? Lastly, it seems to me you are stirring the pot, but thats just my opinion. There was a fire on the Ecstasy in 1988 also, but we probably dont have visoe of that one.:cool:

Was there a fire on the Concordia?:confused: Are you a fire safety trainer? How do you know what training all crewmembers get? Are you an emplyoee pf the cruise line? Lastly, it seems to me you are stirring the pot, but thats just my opinion. There was a fire on the Ecstasy in 1988 also, but we probably dont have visoe of that one.:cool:

Fist thing my brother works on a cruise ship right now and he is at sea. Everyone on board has to take a fire safety training on a regular basis. I understand human nature and not every e has nerves of steel. But really these people are charged with keeping everyone and I mean everyone on board safe. There is so much that goes unreported about cruise ships. You wanna say I'm siring the pot then so be it. I bring things like this up to high light the lack of training that the crew has. I don't think it's a carnival problem only. I am posting this in the carnival form because it involved a carnival ship. Would you prefer I talk about the fire that happened aboard the Valor last week and how the fire prevention system sorta worked I say sorta because the fire spread to another cabin b4 it was complete put out. So maybe that crew member panicked maybe next time someone panic and the ship has to be abandoned. Lastly think about this would you be saying the same thing if an air plan crashes due to the pilot not responding correctly to a fire or an indecent on board. The idea that it's just human nature and not everyone is this and that is just an excuse people give to justify there believe that this is no big deal and I am siring the pot. If you really think about it public safety on a cruise ship is number one.