Is the food on the Ruby really that bad?

CruzinRAC

We got off the Ruby February 1 and I am a foodie. I don't expect a kitchen serving meals to 3000 people to be five star. We ate most meals in the MDR and enjoyed most of them. My DH sent his "medium rare" rib roast back as it was grey but it was replaced with one perfectly cooked. My only criticism is that most seafood is over cooked and dry. The escargot were the best I've had on any Princess ship! We thought the food was good. Karen

Had many meals on the Ruby on our last Eastern Med Cruise and all in the MDR were wonderful. I am a Foodie and do not like bad food. I found none. Having run the Meet and Greet on our cruise, we had 7 of the ship's officers at our M&G including the Hotel Manager, the CD, and the Restaurant Maiter'D. I met them all and as I saw them all over the cruise we all did High 5's and bows to one another walking down the halls as others wondered "What Just went on here that I just saw"?. At dinner time the Maiter'D always came by our table in the MDR to see how things were and greeted the other 3 couples there. Yes there are fun times to have on a Princess ship and food and greeting are just two of them.

It seems every review I read, people are complaining about how bad the food is on the Ruby. I know it's a VERY subjective topic, but as a couple who enjoys decent food (although we're hardly snobby about it), we're thinking we made a bad choice booking Ruby for next month. Comments???

I've cruised Princess seven times. Three of these have been on the Ruby. For the most part I've enjoyed the food, and personally like the Ruby more than the Caribbean or the Sapphire.

There have been cutbacks on all of the Princess ships, and the food isn't as good as it once was. But overall, we enjoyed our meals and on our last cruise ate every supper in the MDR rather than using the buffet or specialty dining.

My big gripe (not just Ruby) is that the servers don't seem to understand that when you sit down they are supposed to get you a drink PRONTO, right then, before they do anything else That's how dinner is served. The pre-dinner drink is supposed to be served even before the menus are handed out, yet too often it comes with or after the appetizers. Really annoying.

We thought Ruby's food (in September) was excellent, but with two exceptions...

1/ My brother disliked the on-deck pizza, & he was a big fan up to that point.

2/ We ate in the Crown Grille the first formal night. The service was so incredibly slow that we complained and cancelled our booking for the next one.

Steve