Can't book Blue Lagoon privately?

keichman

Our family is interested in doing the Sea Lion Encounter at Blue Lagoon in Nassau, but the Breakaway's excursion is sold out. I tried to book this privately, but they said a contractual agreement with NCL prevents them from accepting the booking. Is this true even when the ship's excursion is sold out???

I assume that the suite concierge can't help us with a sold out excursion. I've heard they can work wonders, but this is related to an external company. So it seems we're out of luck. Is this true?

Our family is interested in doing the Sea Lion Encounter at Blue Lagoon in Nassau, but the Breakaway's excursion is sold out. I tried to book this privately, but they said a contractual agreement with NCL prevents them from accepting the booking. Is this true even when the ship's excursion is sold out???

I assume that the suite concierge can't help us with a sold out excursion. I've heard they can work wonders, but this is related to an external company. So it seems we're out of luck. Is this true?

One thing I've learned with concierges.....never hurts to ask. Also, if you're meaning the online bookings are sold out, I believe they're like restaurant bookings where they only allow so many online to give people on the ship a chance to book. So a concierge may definitely be some help here. If nothing else, getting to the ship early and booking may be an advantage.

It's very true. NCL probably pays them less than $.50 on the dollar to provide the excursion, and it would be easy for a local tour operator to undercut NCL if there was not a contract in place. Because people will cancel on the ship check when you get on board. Sometimes they keep some spots open for last minute bookings as well. Go to the excursion desk when you get on the ship.

Edited by sdmike

I have been to Blue Lagoon and that place is a dump IMHO

I've been to Blue Lagoon before, and currently am booked to go back there again in two weeks as we loved it so much. Frankly, your saying it is a "dump" is IMHO more likely a reflection of you than it is the location, especially when you research reviews right here on Cruise Critic. :cool:

And to address the OP's question - I had a very similar experience last November on an Allure sailing. We wanted to book a Blue Lagoon Beach Break, which RCCL always offers, but for our sailing it wasn't available. I went throught WEEKS of emails with Blue Lagoon, who were honestly really evasive, unhelpful a-holes about it, and a few weeks after that, I happened to discover that my TA actually offered the EXACT same excursion through their excursion department. Long story short, we booked it, but (due to our incredible luck) our sailing became the first Oasis/Allure cruise in history, according the crew, to miss a port due to weather, as could not get into Nassau that day. Anyways, look around at other avenues like you TA for booking excursions to Blue Lagoon, there might be a possibility there. ;)

Edited by joeski27

We really enjoyed the interactive sea lion excursion at Blue Lagoon when we did it a few years ago. If you aren't ultimately able to pre-book, then definitely check with both the concierge and the excursion desk and try to get on a wait list. We've had luck with "sold out" excursions in the past once on board.

Just book it directly through the blue lagoon website...

You don't HAVE to tell them you are arriving by cruiseship..

Many people vacationing in Nassau staying at hotels book the excursion independently EVERYDAY.....

The time we booked it, we did it independently instead of through Carnival.

You just have to pay for your cab to the Paradise Island ferry pier, to get your tickets and board the ferry to the Island.

By the way, wonderful place and the Sea Lion encounter was great.

Plus you walk the walkways between the various dolphin pens and watch them swimming around. (one with a scar over his left eye, was a showboat. Came by me each time doing a different move, like for an hour straight.)

Bill

What bguppies said.

We were on ROyal this summer, the price was cheaper thru the Blue Lagoon website. We booked and ended up canceling without charge - after researching the beach on the port of call board, my kids wanted to do sow thing with an ocean as opposed to a quiet lagoon.

When I did call ble lagoon direct, they even told me where to c-ACTH the v

Boat in proximity to the cruise ship.

Edited by DrNora

I've been to Blue Lagoon before, and currently am booked to go back there again in two weeks as we loved it so much. Frankly, your saying it is a "dump" is IMHO more likely a reflection of you than it is the location, especially when you research reviews right here on Cruise Critic. :cool:

And to address the OP's question - I had a very similar experience last November on an Allure sailing. We wanted to book a Blue Lagoon Beach Break, which RCCL always offers, but for our sailing it wasn't available. I went throught WEEKS of emails with Blue Lagoon, who were honestly really evasive, unhelpful a-holes about it, and a few weeks after that, I happened to discover that my TA actually offered the EXACT same excursion through their excursion department. Long story short, we booked it, but (due to our incredible luck) our sailing became the first Oasis/Allure cruise in history, according the crew, to miss a port due to weather, as could not get into Nassau that day. Anyways, look around at other avenues like you TA for booking excursions to Blue Lagoon, there might be a possibility there. ;)

Not sure why you want to start personal attacks buddy. I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Not sure why you are so offended by mine that you resort to personal attacks.

Of ALL the excursions I have been on, Blue Lagoon was the ONLY one I ever regretted taking. As soon as we were let off the boat, I wanted to go back to the ship immediately. It is not really a beach and has no ocean front swimming. It is some sort of industrial canal that you can "swim" in. The place is extremely run down and looks like no renovations have been done since the 1970's.

I expected much more from something that advertises itself as a beach resort. I am basing my experience about the beach break excursion on Blue Lagoon not the dolphins or other things they have there.

Edited by david_sobe

I also booked directly with Blue Lagoon on our cruise excursion. I did not tell them I was visiting via cruise. I wanted to go earlier than the cruise excursion time. It was risky as the ferry to Blue Lagoon left at 8:30am and our ship was due to port at 8:00am. Luck was on our side, we ported early. We were the first people off the chip behind the Nassau Port Personnel and quickly grabbed a cab to the Ferry dock. We had to wait about 45 minutes when we got there to board!

I also booked directly with Blue Lagoon on our cruise excursion. I did not tell them I was visiting via cruise. I wanted to go earlier than the cruise excursion time. It was risky as the ferry to Blue Lagoon left at 8:30am and our ship was due to port at 8:00am. Luck was on our side, we ported early. We were the first people off the chip behind the Nassau Port Personnel and quickly grabbed a cab to the Ferry dock. We had to wait about 45 minutes when we got there to board!

Yeah thats what we did also.

Made it across the bridge and took the first ferry over with the workers and the last ferry back with the workers. (including the nice lady who trains the sea lions and moved to Nassau with them, when their home in Mississippi was destroyed by Katrina. She loves her Sea Lions.)

Bill