Delights of the Promised Land - what currency?

jem16

Booked to go on the Spirit on 9th April for the Delights of the Promised Land. We would specifically like to do the Dead Sea excursion but haven't made our mind up which one.

Would anyone recommend either or both of the excursions that take in the Dead Sea?

Also wondering about other ports as to whether or not to do our own thing or go on some tour? Our last cruise was the Red Sea Magic where none of the ports other than Aqaba were really suitable for doing your own thing. This cruise might be very different though from that point of view. Any thoughts on this?

Wondering also about what currency to take. We'll be visiting Cyprus, Crete, Turkey and Israel.

sorry cant help with dead sea….hopefully someone will be along in a minute who knows more

all ports on this itinerary are easy to diy (taxi/tour operators on the dock) or nearby local bus stops....I did do a review of this itinerary last year after I came back from majesty...but I cant find it and searching on this forum has been disabled??

on the currency...euros are accepted everywhere, you may get change in shekels in israel but they will accept euros

Edited by geomagot

Hi, Defo euro - this will be accepted in Israel also, or you could use the ATM to draw a small amount of Sheckles.

Thanks arnie.

I think the euro will be accepted everywhere but wondered if local currency sometimes offers better options as in exchange rate?

I have read about postcards being offered at 1 euro and the same card at 1 Turkish Lira - very big difference though!

I will also be out that cruise:)

Let's hope it will be a good one!

If the Dead Sea and Massada trip is an option DO IT!! We did it a few years ago but it was from a hotel on the Egypt/Israeli border so don't know the logistics of doing it from a cruise. The Dead Sea is amazing. We had a mud bath before going in :-D Be sure to take shoes that you can wear into the sea and be aware that the concentration of salt will sting the slightest abrasion. You are also told that if the sea water gets into your eyes you should seek medical attention. Having said that it's really not a scary experience. You really do just bob around like corks. Massada is something else entirely but I wont go into detail as you may not have the option of visiting.

If the Dead Sea and Massada trip is an option DO IT!!

One of the excursions is Masada and the Dead Sea. The other is Jerusalem and the Dead Sea.

The Dead Sea is amazing. We had a mud bath before going in :-D Be sure to take shoes that you can wear into the sea and be aware that the concentration of salt will sting the slightest abrasion.

That's helpful - thanks. Would flip flops be suitable or something else? Is it rough ground that you should wear shoes for?

You are also told that if the sea water gets into your eyes you should seek medical attention. Having said that it's really not a scary experience. You really do just bob around like corks.

So avoid any splashing about?

Massada is something else entirely but I wont go into detail as you may not have the option of visiting.

It certainly is an option and so far we haven't decided if it's Jerusalem or Masada.

Can you give us any more details as to why you would recommend Masada please?

That would be a no to flip flops. I don't think you would be able to keep them on in the sea and the ground is very rough/sharp rock salt.

It's not a sea to splash around in. Gently, gently! As you walk in you will find that your body just becomes buoyant and it's difficult to keep your feet on the ground.

I would find it very difficult to chose between Jerusalem or Massada having visited both. If you are religious in any way then I suppose first choice would have to be Jerusalem. Massada is less well known but a fantastic trip and it would probably be an easier journey. If you haven't heard of Massada it's where the zealots held out against the Romans and eventually killed each other/committed suicide rather than fall into the hands of the Romans. You are taken to the top of the rock by cable car and walk around the ruins. It's just amazing to see the feat of engineering carried out so long ago.

Sorry about the history lesson but hope it helps with your decision. I'd love to hear what you decide.

That would be a no to flip flops. I don't think you would be able to keep them on in the sea and the ground is very rough/sharp rock salt.

Great - thanks. That will give us a better idea of what to wear.

t's not a sea to splash around in. Gently, gently! As you walk in you will find that your body just becomes buoyant and it's difficult to keep your feet on the ground.

Sounds good!

I would find it very difficult to chose between Jerusalem or Massada having visited both. If you are religious in any way then I suppose first choice would have to be Jerusalem.

I'm not particularly religious one way or the other but I know my friend possibly is more religious.

Looking at the excursions we also have the option of Jerusalem and Bethlehem from Haifa so it's possible that we could do both.

Massada is less well known but a fantastic trip and it would probably be an easier journey. If you haven't heard of Massada it's where the zealots held out against the Romans and eventually killed each other/committed suicide rather than fall into the hands of the Romans. You are taken to the top of the rock by cable car and walk around the ruins. It's just amazing to see the feat of engineering carried out so long ago.

Sorry about the history lesson but hope it helps with your decision. I'd love to hear what you decide.

No it's very helpful to hear about trips that people have already done. Sometimes the trip that doesn't sound the best is actually one of the best. We weren't planning on doing Wadi Rum when we did the Red Sea Magic cruise but it was one of the best we did. Only did it through reading about it on the forum.

Thanks for your help. I'll update on what we decide.

Edited by jem16

I'd love to hear what you decide.

We're going with the Massada and Dead Sea trip from Ashdod and also doing the Nazareth and Sea of Galilee from Haifa. We did look at Jerusalem and Bethlehem but decided to give it a miss as it was very long and also on the last day of the cruise. It's also Passover and felt that Jerusalem would be very busy.

Can I ask a question about the Dead Sea trip? It says towels are included but the mud is extra. Did you buy the mud and if so what price was it?

We're going with the Massada and Dead Sea trip from Ashdod and also doing the Nazareth and Sea of Galilee from Haifa. We did look at Jerusalem and Bethlehem but decided to give it a miss as it was very long and also on the last day of the cruise. It's also Passover and felt that Jerusalem would be very busy.

Can I ask a question about the Dead Sea trip? It says towels are included but the mud is extra. Did you buy the mud and if so what price was it?

Do you mean mud to bring home, or while you are there?

I can't really see how they can charge you for it as all you have to do is scrape it from the sides.:confused:

We were on the Jordanian side though, we did the trip from Aqaba.

We shall try the free scraping first then.

Perhaps just a way to make money?

We did an AI trip. I can't imagine you would ever pay separately for mud to use whilst there. It's quite a laugh, you get into mud "puddles" and just cover each other with it. Where we went we then had a 5 minute walk to the sea by which time the mud had set on us :D

It's probably a good decision to avoid Jerusalem at Passover. It's a good excuse to book another cruise:rolleyes:

We did an AI trip. I can't imagine you would ever pay separately for mud to use whilst there. It's quite a laugh, you get into mud "puddles" and just cover each other with it. Where we went we then had a 5 minute walk to the sea by which time the mud had set on us :D

It will be interesting to find out then. The Thomson's excursion details mentioned towels being included and that mud was available to buy.

"At the Dead Sea you can purchase mud, however they don’t accept Sterling."

Now perhaps they meant to take home - it's not very obvious.

It's probably a good decision to avoid Jerusalem at Passover. It's a good excuse to book another cruise:rolleyes:

My friend said that too. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

if you ar visiting antalya euros will be accepted as these resorts have mainly german visitors however if you wish to visit the red fort entrance fee can only be paid for in t /lira quite easy to get a bus up, about 35 min walk back down to ship ,we took sheckels to isreal,however we did,nt have any time to shop in jerusalem ,we were asked to shop in bethlehem as they have no jobs

if you ar visiting antalya euros will be accepted as these resorts have mainly german visitors however if you wish to visit the red fort entrance fee can only be paid for in t /lira quite easy to get a bus up, about 35 min walk back down to ship ,

Thanks. Turkish ports are Alanya and Marmaris so unlikely to be visiting Antalya.

we took sheckels to isreal,however we did,nt have any time to shop in jerusalem ,we were asked to shop in bethlehem as they have no jobs

Thanks. The 2 days we're in Israel we plan to do the organised trips. May not bother with shekels and just use credit cards if buying presents.

I already have some Euros and we're thinking of getting some Turkish Lira as these are the ports where we may just do our own thing.

Won't be long now - looking forward to it.

Edited by jem16