How long are flowrider lessons?

PJB3

I want to think there were 8-10 people in mine, and it lasted about an hour.

If you've never done it, or have never surfed, I recommend the class as they will teach you the 3-4 things you need to know to start and stay standing up.

Unless you plan on staying on the boat while in port (the flowrider was fairly empty on the Oasis in early August while in port), you'll never get enough chances in a short period of time to learn.

Remember that while at sea once you fall your turn is over. Occasionally the staff member will let you get up if you fall right away, but this is rare if the flowrider is busy.

Disclaimer: If you are sailing while FL school is in session the flowrider may not be as busy as it was on my Oasis cruise (second week of August).

Edited by JasonV1

How much are the lessons? Where/when do you sign up?

One hour long, eight people max, $60 pp

You can also book the whole hour for the $480 and have as many or as few people as you want.

We had 6 people, and it would have been worth the extra $120 for us to have it to ourselves. We didn't think about it when we booked. We had a pair of sisters join us, but that was fine. The instructors had to worry more about turns because of them, though.

We booked as soon as we boarded at the desk by the Flowrider where you check in and get your waiver wristbands. There weren't many options for times. One was a port day when we had an excursion. We ended up doing it in the evening, but we had to skip the MDR to do it. It was a little chilly then (November Western Caribbean cruise on the Liberty) but I liked that we didn't have spectators. I think you can book online before the cruise, and I would recommend that.

It was one of the highlights of our trip!

We took the lessons; just as the others described. We signed up for an early morning lesson, 8-9 before Flowrider opened for the day, and found there were far less than 8 people- so that's a trick to get even more time! Plus once they opened Flowrider "officially" only a few more people showed up, so we got a lot of rides in before 9:30 when it started to get crowded.:D

Sorry but this post caught my attention. We're in the process of planning a trip on this ship and were excited about the Flowrider. Are you telling me that you can't use this unless you pay $60 pp for lessons? My kids (teens) were so excited when they saw this option but it won't happen if we have to pay for it.

Sorry but this post caught my attention. We're in the process of planning a trip on this ship and were excited about the Flowrider. Are you telling me that you can't use this unless you pay $60 pp for lessons? My kids (teens) were so excited when they saw this option but it won't happen if we have to pay for it.

It is free unless you want to take a lesson. My here are height restrictions for both the stomach/kneeling and stand up riding methods.

There are times when it is free, you just have to wait in line. There are times set for surfing (beginner and advance) and boogie boarding, as well as times for paid private lessons and times when you can go watch the experts do their tricks.

Just check your Cruise Compass to see when it's available. We paid for private lessons because the adults in our group wanted better instruction and didn't want to wait. Our sons waited and rode a couple of times in addition to our paid lesson.