Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal

Sparky1957

My wife and I will be cruising out of New Jersey this coming April. (Cape Liberty.) This will be our first cruise ever and we will be driving from the east. I have no problem getting to the terminal itself, (GPS), but I cannot find any information on what the procedure is once we get there. Do we park the car and take a shuttle? Do we drop the luggage off, then go park the car, then take a shuttle back to the boat? We have never experienced anything like this before and would appreciate any feedback from people who have sailed from Cape Liberty. Thanks

Pull up Port Terminal Blvd Bayonne, NJ on Google earth so you can see the port.

The terminal is at the end of a two mile peninsula and the road is like a big circle there. You can pull up to the terminal and drop off bags. Then you continue on and make a left and a left between a row of buildings to the parking which you prepay. There are actually two sections to the parking, one in the middle of the "circle" area and the other across the road next to the terminal. Drive halfway through the first lot, make a left towards the gap in the chain link fence, and cross the inbound road to the lot on the other side. From there it is a quick walk to the checkin - no worse than mall parking.

Th bus shuttle is after you checkin. The ship is close, but it is too dangerous to walk because of the delivery trucks. You should get a number at checkin and you board the shuttle bus when your number is called. The actual ride is 90 seconds.

Here are the directions from Exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike. GPS is notoriously bad in the area.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Great info!

We are leaving tomorrow and had no idea you could drop your luggage off before you parked. thanks!

The paperwork says you can board between 11am and 2:30pm.

We live an hour or so away, in good conditions. It is snowing again and will likely take a bit longer tomorrow morning.

What time do you think we should arrive at the terminal?

We'd like to get this vacation started...quickly!!!!:D

Great info!

We are leaving tomorrow and had no idea you could drop your luggage off before you parked. thanks!

The paperwork says you can board between 11am and 2:30pm.

We live an hour or so away, in good conditions. It is snowing again and will likely take a bit longer tomorrow morning.

What time do you think we should arrive at the terminal?

We'd like to get this vacation started...quickly!!!!:D

We've sailed from Cape Liberty on 5 occasions. We have arrived around 10 - 10:30 and went right onto the ship. Remember, the cabins will not be available until 1 - 1:30 so be prepared to schlep your carry-on bags with you to the Windjammer (buffet) or any of the public areas of the beautiful ship.

Enjoy your cruise and Cape Liberty.

Just some clarification. I "Googled" per your request and I took a "virtual" tour of the area. Do we drive up to the "white tents"..(that's what they look like to me)...unload your luggage, hop back into your car...do the left turn, then left again..park the car, then walk back to the "tent" taking the gate through the "chainlink" fence ? (Maybe it might be easier for me to ask...if the "white tents" is the cruise ship "terminal" ?

Yes - the white tent is along side the cruise terminal with the main entrance being closer to the east end. You pull in, drop your luggage, and continue on as you described.

Reread my directions. You can drive from the first parking lot through a gap in the chain link fence across the access road to the parking area closer to the ship. There will be a guy directing traffic who will help you cross. The handicapped parking is in this area, but there is ample regular parking. When you disembark it is easier to access your car and you can usually get a porter to wheel your luggage directly to the car if you like.

We've sailed from Cape Liberty on 5 occasions. We have arrived around 10 - 10:30 and went right onto the ship. Remember, the cabins will not be available until 1 - 1:30 so be prepared to schlep your carry-on bags with you to the Windjammer (buffet) or any of the public areas of the beautiful ship.

Enjoy your cruise and Cape Liberty.

We are leaving from Cape Liberty on Sunday for our first time. Two questions I would be grateful for any insight on:

1. If you arrive 10-10:30 as many recommend, can you get right on even though the "recommended time" for our Deck 7 is 1:00 PM? We are in a balcony cabin (not suite) and this is our first cruise on Royal Caribbean.

2. Does anyone know how much of the parking lot has been wiped out with snow piles from the recent storm? Do you think there will be any issue finding a space? We want as little stress as possible to begin our 7 day trip. Our other option is a limo to/from home for $93 each way.

Thanks for any recommendations!

There is the time you can board and the time you can get into your cabin.

I'd shoot for 10:30. By the time you drop off luggage, pay to park and get through the checkin, it should be close to the boarding time. When I was able to arrive early, my experience was that boarding started as early as 11:30 and as late as 12:30. Last cruise I arrived at 2:30 to find I had missed a mess in the terminal and a very late start to the boarding. Bottom line - anything can happen so bring your patience and something to do.

You will not be able to get into your cabin until 1 pm ( or is it 1:30 now??)

Parking should not be an issue. There are a ton of spaces and the is currently only one ship sailing from Cape Liberty.

Thanks for the helpful information Carol. The 1 PM time I was referring to was a "recommended check in time." They assigned different times to the different decks (Deck 10 11 AM, Deck 9 11:30, etc) to try to limit lines and wait times. But we will probably go early just to give ourselves lots of extra buffer time. DH and I would much rather wait around than be nervous about being late! And it sounds like we should be able to board earlier than the recommended time. I understand we won't get to our cabin until later. Thanks again!

I Thank Everyone for the information that I see above. I had no idea that certain decks have different times...for loading...so this is something else for me to take into consideration. Again Thanks...and if anyone has more information that they want to share..that would be Great. Our Cruise does not leave until April...so between now..and then...the more knowledge I have, the better it will be. MGM

I Thank Everyone for the information that I see above. I had no idea that certain decks have different times...for loading...so this is something else for me to take into consideration. Again Thanks...and if anyone has more information that they want to share..that would be Great. Our Cruise does not leave until April...so between now..and then...the more knowledge I have, the better it will be. MGM

Certain times for certain decks?? Puh-leeze.... LOL

Yes - that's what we're saying. We don't recommend arriving before 10:30 unless you are going to hang out outside the terminal - you can park at the 911 Memorial and take pictures.

Due to a variety of factors each embarkation works differently and some embarkations are less smooth than others. The main thing to bring is your patience, something to do, and be prepared to go with the flow.

By arriving early, you will get a lower shuttle bus number, which means you will be called to board earlier. You should also monitor Cruise Critic at the last minute to see if there are any problems. When the ship arrives late (doesn't happen often but it does happen), everything is out of sync.

Please provide more details - exact date, number of people, budget, and where you are driving from.

For folks who are driving we often recommend staying within an hour of the pier in a more suburban hotel that is less expensive and has access to restaurants and is in a nicer area than Newark airport.

Carol -

With all the snow we have had recently - is the 911 Memorial accessible? Has the road to it been plowed? I read somewhere else the road had not even been plowed.

On another note - has construction started on the new terminal? I also heard that the bridge into Bayonne (from the NJ TPK) is only one lane in each direction. How bad is the traffic?

Any help on these questions is appreciated.

I had to cancel my Jan cruise and haven't been at Cape Liberty since mid Dec. I simply have no idea about the snow situation at the port except for the fact that no one is complaining about it.

Recent reports indicate that construction has not been started on the new terminal.

I have heard reports about construction on the turnpike bridge, but once again no posts about serious traffic delays.

Hopefully others who travel that area can post more recent news.

Carol -

With all the snow we have had recently - is the 911 Memorial accessible? Has the road to it been plowed? I read somewhere else the road had not even been plowed.

On another note - has construction started on the new terminal? I also heard that the bridge into Bayonne (from the NJ TPK) is only one lane in each direction. How bad is the traffic?

Any help on these questions is appreciated.

There is no snow on the road. DW and I were just there today. With the construction area fenced off, there is very limited parking at the Memorial parking area. Construction has not started per se, but they are getting ready. There is no problem with traffic on the turnpike extension.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you by-pass the luggage drop and park your car first? (we're going to try driving thru the opening in the fence as suggested, to get closer to the terminal) We only have 1 suitcase each and can easily roll it with us. Will a porter be easy to find to check them?

We wanted to avoid the luggage drop area since I've read it's a nightmare sometimes, with cars pulling in and out and crossing eachother. I would rather skip all that and bring my luggage from my parked car myself.

Can it be done and is it advisable?

I parked in the second lot closer to the building. After parking went thru the fence walkway and dropped off my bags. Short time later was thru checkin and on shuttle to ship. When I was checking in many cars were backed up waiting to drop off their luggage.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app