Which is the most kid friendly itinerary?

babyclaytonmom

Every summer my son (11) and I take a Carnival cruise. Torn between 2 very different ones for this summer. Ironically the cruises plus each of their expenses (flight for 1, driving for the other) come out to be within a $100 of each other. I would love your input if you have done either one of these cruises/ships or think any of these ports are ones not to miss. We live in Tampa. Freedom out Ft. Lauderdale is more expensive, is 1 extra day, 1 less port and we would drive. Valor out of San Juan is cheaper, 1 less day but 1 extra port.

Freedom 8 days- from Ft. Lauderdale- Grand Turk (went here last summer), Dominican Republic, Curaco, Aruba. The last 3 we havent been to.

Valor 7 days- from San Juan (went here last summer)- St. Thomas (went here last summer), Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Marteen. The last 4 we havent been to.

Any input would be appreciated. Are any of the islands we havent been to more fun for kids?

Every summer my son (11) and I take a Carnival cruise. Torn between 2 very different ones for this summer. Ironically the cruises plus each of their expenses (flight for 1, driving for the other) come out to be within a $100 of each other. I would love your input if you have done either one of these cruises/ships or think any of these ports are ones not to miss. We live in Tampa. Freedom out Ft. Lauderdale is more expensive, is 1 extra day, 1 less port and we would drive. Valor out of San Juan is cheaper, 1 less day but 1 extra port.

Freedom 8 days- from Ft. Lauderdale- Grand Turk (went here last summer), Dominican Republic, Curaco, Aruba. The last 3 we havent been to.

Valor 7 days- from San Juan (went here last summer)- St. Thomas (went here last summer), Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Marteen. The last 4 we havent been to.

Any input would be appreciated. Are any of the islands we havent been to more fun for kids?

Not that my opinion means more than a hill of beans, but I would choose the Freedom 8 day. I've never been to Curacao or Aruba, but are on my bucket list. From your second option, I've been to all except St Kitts. I would say it depends on what you want for you and the kids. Most of the ports will be good beach days. I have heard that Grand Turk now doesn't have the best beach for swimming, but does have a large pool by Margaritaville - otherwise, not much to do there (this is only what I've heard - last time I was there was about 25 years ago when the only thing there was an airstrip). You know St Thomas as well, great beach options between, St Thomas, St John, Tortola, etc. St Maarten also has some decent beaches and good shopping. When I was in St Lucia, we took an island tour, so can't really comment on all of the available options, but didn't find the locals particularly friendly. I LOVED Barbados and would love to do a land vacation here. I've been told that Aruba is very scenic, but also has a very vibrant nightlife, and may not be so kid-friendly.

Well, first off it's an 8 day cruise instead of 7. You know Grand Turk is a great beach day.....Aruba another great beach/water day and some very interesting land formations if you decide on a short tour. Curacao is very interesting and a great place to just wander a bit in town and try some of the local food...(as is Aruba if you decide not to beach/water it) and is very Dutch. I've never been to the DR so can't help with that one, sorry.

I think it depends on what you and your son like to do. Not everyone likes beaches, because not everyone likes sand.

St Lucia has a drive through volcano and St Kitts has one of the best preserved forts in the Americas. Would your son be interested in either of those?

From the other itinerary, Curacao has a pontoon bridge that you walk across, but only when a boat is not in the channel. Aruba has caves that are open to tours.

Both itineraries sound wonderful to me; hope you have fun whichever you choose.

I think it depends on what you and your son like to do. Not everyone likes beaches, because not everyone likes sand.

St Lucia has a drive through volcano and St Kitts has one of the best preserved forts in the Americas. Would your son be interested in either of those?

From the other itinerary, Curacao has a pontoon bridge that you walk across, but only when a boat is not in the channel. Aruba has caves that are open to tours.

Both itineraries sound wonderful to me; hope you have fun whichever you choose.

Thanks for the ideas! These are great. We both like the beach but the FL. beaches where we live are rated some of the best in the world so 1 beach day per cruise is plenty for us. We both would love the bridge, volcano and cave tours. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes: