Alaska Redo on Celebrity: Would I miss Hubbard??

Veronda817

I was on last summer's "cruise to Ketchikan" on Millie where we broke down at our first port. We still enjoyed our time on the ship and have no major complaints. We received a FCC to use prior to this September. BUT because we had booked a cruisetour, the cruise portion of the fare was secretly discounted, so the FCC we received would not come close to covering the same cruise (we sailed in Aqua Class, our FCC *might* cover an oceanview). The good news is that we really still got to see the bulk of Alaska since we had an interior tour to Denali, etc. I still feel like I missed out on whales and calving glaciers, though (we did land on an interior glacier in Denali). There is an 8-day round-trip cruise on Solstice for half the price of the 7-day ones on Millie and would therefore be almost entirely covered by the FCC, but Solstice skips Hubbard Glacier (and Anchorage, but we spent a few days there last summer). Is there enough of a glacier experience at Mendenhall in Juneau? I would likely take a whale tour in Icy Strait Point. I'm just concerned that missing Hubbard would be like missing the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

I do like Hubbard glacier a lot. We have done the Alaska cruise many times. As we are living in the Seattle area. I have not been impressed with Tracy Arm Fjord. But as we cruised in May the cruise ships cant get in as far or close to the glaciers as later in the season. So time of cruise will be important.

What about the Celebrity's Celebrity Century leaving out of Vancouver, BC. It is a 7 day and round trip. And it goes to Hubbard glacier. You also get a true Inside Passage (Cruising) on Century. Century will be only with Celebrity a short time longer. I have not cruise on her, but we did cruise on her sister ship Mercury. Loved Mercury! They are smaller ships and should be able to get closer the the glacier. Vancouver is a really nice city. The cruise port is right downtown. Dont get me wrong I love the S class ships. But is the cruise about the ship or is it about Alaska and Hubbard glacier. Richard

I was on last summer's "cruise to Ketchikan" on Millie where we broke down at our first port. We still enjoyed our time on the ship and have no major complaints. We received a FCC to use prior to this September. BUT because we had booked a cruisetour, the cruise portion of the fare was secretly discounted, so the FCC we received would not come close to covering the same cruise (we sailed in Aqua Class, our FCC *might* cover an oceanview). The good news is that we really still got to see the bulk of Alaska since we had an interior tour to Denali, etc. I still feel like I missed out on whales and calving glaciers, though (we did land on an interior glacier in Denali). There is an 8-day round-trip cruise on Solstice for half the price of the 7-day ones on Millie and would therefore be almost entirely covered by the FCC, but Solstice skips Hubbard Glacier (and Anchorage, but we spent a few days there last summer). Is there enough of a glacier experience at Mendenhall in Juneau? I would likely take a whale tour in Icy Strait Point. I'm just concerned that missing Hubbard would be like missing the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

I've been to Alaska 6 times and IMO nothing beats Hubbard Glacier. We're going back on the Solstice in May and are doing Tracy Arm but I don't remember much being there.

Jim

We sailed Alaska in August and we were able to get pretty far into Tracy Arm. We had also scheduled a glacier trek during our Juneau port that would have really satisfied the glacier itch I think, but it was rained out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my, thank you! I somehow hadn't even realized Tracy Arm was on the Solstice itinerary. I realize most people think Hubbard has the wow factor, but between our Denali glacier landing already completed as well as Tracy Arm and Mendenhall on Solstice, we might have enough of the experience. After all, we're young and big travelers, so we will likely have other glacier experiences in our lives! Thanks so much for pointing this out.

And I have to admit......we were absolutely spoiled with our first cruise experience being Aqua Class and eating in Blu. I just couldn't imagine going without it. So while Century would be a fun ship to experience, I just can't imagine going to Alaska not in Aqua. A shame, I know, with its numbered days in the fleet.

Earlier poster mentioned the Solstice 8-day Alaska trip. Note that this is a special 'first of the season' run which includes Icy Strait Point. Also note that it is the first run of the season, departing 8May. General opinion is that there will still be significant amounts of ice in the bays where the glaciers are. This means it isn't likely you will get too close or see too much glacier action. I'm on that trip and I don't mind... but if you are looking for calving and such, it might be too early.