White dinner jackets on a Cunard cruise black and white ball

Drunkensailor123

Greetings,

We'll be taking our first Transatlantic voyage (on the QM2) in a couple months, so pardon our inexperience in knowing what to expect during our week on the ship. We understand that there are three formal nights. Should we expect that one of these formal nights will be a "Black & White Ball" or is this an extra formal night? Also, what night of the 7 day voyage is devoted to the "Black & White Ball"? We're social dancers and are looking forward to doing some dancing in the Queen's Room.

Debjo

The list of dress codes and which nights are balls for all the ships is here:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Click on the link for the QM2

Edited by Ray66

The following links show dance hosts on the QM2 wearing white jackets. Maybe it changes from cruise to cruise?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10000872396390444868204578064991960361294

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2011/01/25/queen_mary_2_hosts_ask_the_ladies_shall_we_dance.html

dancehosts.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

It May change. I have never seen I'm anything other than a tux or blazer but it does reinforce that white jackets will fit in

For Ray66 and pepperrn...

I can't thank you enough for all the information you are passing along. It is good to know that one doesn't have to "dress-up" for the themed formal ball nights apart from formal attire. Still it would be fun to do so...problem is that we are limited to only one large suitcase and one carry-on with our flight arrangements...packing for the trip will be hard enough with the three formal nights...but, where there's a will, there's a way!

Debjo

The list of dress codes and which nights are balls for all the ships is here:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Click on the link for the QM2

I'm not overly confident of the accuracy of this dress code document. It shows that on QM2 Voyage M405, the Black and White Ball is Informal.:rolleyes:

well then, That takes us right back to another thread about the mistakes on the daily newsletter :eek:

I ran into this same type of mistake last year on the QE where the pre-voyage documentation showed St. Patricks day an informal night, but it was changed to formal once on board.

I still have the green tie that I bought for that "informal" night. It wouldn't have looked too good with my tux. :)

I ran into this same type of mistake last year on the QE where the pre-voyage documentation showed St. Patricks day an informal night, but it was changed to formal once on board.

I still have the green tie that I bought for that "informal" night. It wouldn't have looked too good with my tux. :)

I have a green tie for a cruise we did round Australia, great fun, Cunard, Tux, green tie :eek::eek::eek: the fashion police would made you walk the plank

the fashion police would made you walk the plank
Who and what are fashion police?

Do people make nice comments when you wear your white jacket to dinner on board cruise ships?

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Who and what are fashion police? ...
Well, if the FP males attended Miss Manners Fashion Police Academy, they're the ones not wearing cream/ivory dinner jackets after sunset, wearing black self-tied bow ties with lay down collars (wing collars are for white tie), not wearing a vest with a shawl collar dinner jacket, and not wearing a cummerbund with a notch collar dinner jacket.

Well, if the FP males attended Miss Manners Fashion Police Academy, they're the ones not wearing cream/ivory dinner jackets after sunset, wearing black self-tied bow ties with lay down collars (wing collars are for white tie), not wearing a vest with a shawl collar dinner jacket, and not wearing a cummerbund with a notch collar dinner jacket.

Oh, you can wear a white tie then, lol, :) self tie naturally

Edited by rob6852

Oh, you can wear a white tie then, lol, :) self tie naturally
Yes, you may wear white tie, with the corresponding jacket, of course. Astaire+Tux.jpg

But, Miss Manners advises, the trick is to look more like an orchestra conductor than a head waiter. If you can look like Fred Astaire, so much the better.

not wearing a vest with a shawl collar dinner jacket, and not wearing a cummerbund with a notch collar dinner jacket.

That's NOT what Mr Wiki says!!! :)

That's the problem with the Internet - for every "expert" who states how things should be, one can find another who states the opposite. :)

However, from a purely logical point of view, waistcoats (vests) or cummerbunds are not necessary on double- breasted dinner jackets - because such jackets are never unbuttoned (except when they are taken off :))

Barry

That's NOT what Mr Wiki says!!! :)

That's the problem with the Internet - for every "expert" who states how things should be, one can find another who states the opposite. :)

However, from a purely logical point of view, waistcoats (vests) or cummerbunds are not necessary on double- breasted dinner jackets - because such jackets are never unbuttoned (except when they are taken off :))

Barry

You see , thats where I have been going wrong, I always slip the jacket of over my head

Yes, you may wear white tie, with the corresponding jacket, of course. Astaire+Tux.jpg

But, Miss Manners advises, the trick is to look more like an orchestra conductor than a head waiter. If you can look like Fred Astaire, so much the better.

Ok, so ditch the waiter look and go for conductor, cant look like Fred, I never , ever was that slim , will this do

Plus if its good enough for Downton ???

bus-conductor.jpg.2cb0253a8604160b71f2eb656df81c4d.jpg

white-tie_downton-abbey.jpg.3e3fa241c42b30bb51432e4959f3c3d4.jpg

Ok, so ditch the waiter look and go for conductor, cant look like Fred, I never , ever was that slim , will this do

Plus if its good enough for Downton ???

attachment.php?attachmentid=303520&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1393343081attachment.php?attachmentid=303521&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1393343081

I'm sure that the denizens of Downton would conduct a far more elegant omnibus. (Refer to

for the proper definition of omnibus.)