Hilton Marina vs. Hampton Inn City Center

lilbabs

My husband and I are looking for a pre-cruise room for a cruise leaving next weekend. Many of the hotels recommended are booked because of the tight schedule. Looking at the Hilton Marina because it is close to the port and I am looking at the Hampton Inn in city center Fort Lauderdale. Hampton is a better price but like the location of the Hilton better. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you!

Thank you for your response. My main concerns are the cleanliness of the hotel and the safety of the area. Reviews are mixed and we are only staying one night.

The next question would be how much is the price difference and is it worth it to you?

Reviews are subjective...and the Hilton is at least near stuff...I think that the Hampton City Center is not in the 'nice' part of town...

here is the google maps street view

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ft+lauderdale+hampton+inn+city+center&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&ie=UTF-8&ei=yD4CU4mtLOa20AGFlIDYDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

take a look around...

here is the Hilton Marina street view....you're sort of under the causeway, but you're really close to - walking distance even, of a lot of stuff

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&q=hilton+marina+ft+lauderdale&ie=UTF-8&ei=DD8CU7vIFsjN0QH9rYG4Dw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

take the hilton

Edited by megr1125

Yes both hyatt and renaissance are sold out. This was a last minute trip so choices are limited. I have not been in Fort Lauderdale in quite a few years and it sounds like the city center can be dicey. Thank you for your response!

The Hilton Marina is very nice. :) I think the rooms in the main building get the best reviews. The Renaissance is very nice too. Regarding safety, I'm not comfortable walking around the Hampton outside of normal downtown business hours. It's fine if you plan to take taxis.

Had a couple of 100' yachts parked outside our window at Hilton, and the pool was just outside our door. Lots of aircrew stay there. Water ferry is just on other side of the bridge.

Actually, a Water Taxi stop is underneath the bridge in front of the Hilton.

I just stayed at the Hilton Marina 1/19/2014. You can read my full review on Trip Advisor with the title as above.

Know what you are getting. It's clean and the staff treated us very well. But this place is tired and the wear is showing. That being said, I would stay there again for the price I got. Think Ben Franklin.

The location is what makes it awesome. Walk to a restaurant. Walk to Bimini for an upscale dinner. Walk to Walgreens for precruise. Walk to the water taxi. It's all right there.

Get a room on the tower overlooking the cruise terminal and watch the ships leave port. Sit on your balcony with a glass of wine and enjoy the view.

Take a cab to the terminal for less than $8.

It's clean and tidy. It's just old. But it works fantastically!

The Hilton Marina is very nice. :) I think the rooms in the main building get the best reviews. The Renaissance is very nice too.

Totally agree. Have stayed in both. My preference would be Renaissance which is closer to dining venues and grocery store options ;)

So it was not built last year,then yes it will have some wear and tear. Its in great shape if its old, and I don't have any issues staying there as its a fantastic location.

It was completely renovated a few years ago when it was a Marriot, but was reflagged as a Hilton once the renovations were complete.