Will 4 large pcs. of luggage fit under the bed of a regular veranda cabin?

youngreflection

It might be tight for 4 large pieces. If you have a problem then ask your steward. He'll try fitting everything in first and then if he can't get it all under he'll store a piece. We're usually able to fit 5 pieces under but only two of them are the larger rolling cases.

Hi! We are having pre-cruise and post-cruise tour in addition to our 11 day med cruise. Looks like we would need to have 4 large pcs. of luggage. Will all 4 fit under the bed of a regular veranda cabin? Thanks in advance :)

They should if you open them out and put 1 inside the other and do the same with the other 2.

Ask you cabin Steward for help they are amazing at what they can do.

Have a great trip

Probably - put some inside each other and open them up if they're too large. We put our dirty clothes in one opened up suitcase under the bed. Anything you can't fit you can get the cabin steward to store. My husband often brings his golf clubs on a cruise and the big travel case is given to the room steward and returned the last evening. (when we're in a suite we just store it over in a spare corner somewhere). And before the question is asked - yes you can rent clubs. No, a big time golfer doesn't want to rent clubs. :-)

Also just a thought so maybe you can reconsider bringing so much: I wear the same black Travelers type slacks multiple times a cruise for dinner, same with a black skirt. In the Caribbean I do the same with some white dressy "jeans" - they work about 3 or 4 nights with different tops. No way do I bring an entirely new outfit for each dinner or each day that only works one day.

I also bring a Travelers basic black jacket. And a few other pieces so I can mix match and not bring so many clothes. I never bring something unless it can do multiple duty - shirt or tank in the daytime and under something at night.

I used to bring sooooo many pairs of shoes as well. Now I bring a couple basic evening shoes and my top 2 or 3 (at the time) sandals/flips and ONE pair of nonathletic type (Skechers) shoe for walking the treadmill OR a long excursion. I wear those on the plane.

Jewelry and scarves are another thing - I do bring a lot of those but they pack easily and small and that's what changes everything up.

Basically I'm just saying to reevaluate things. Remember no one on board has seen your stuff before so it's new to them. And on a longer cruise, it's the norm to repeat.

You can also get some laundry done on about day 5 - your shorts, tees, socks, etc. that you know will be fine. So nice not to have so much luggage. If you've reached the elite status on captain's club you'll get free laundry. If not, just do it - soooo worth it.

Have fun!

Unless you're doing something pre- and post that require a specific wardrobe (skiing in the Alps), you really don't need anything additional thanks to the laundry services on board. We have done a 2 week cruise followed by a one month land vacation with 2 24" suitcases and a small rollaboard. We always do laundry the day before getting on the ship, and then usually half way through and then at the end; then sometime on our land vacation we do it a few more times. Especially using trains, planes and automobiles, we have found it makes our lives SO much easier not being burdened with tons of luggage.

You know the old adage--bring 1/2 as much stuff and twice as much money!!

wow! thank you for all the great tips, esp. how to fit in the luggages under and how to maximize the most minimum of clothing :D I am trying to streamline our packing and doing a "clothing schedule" (!). Since we will have 9 days pre-cruise (in 2 countries), I am trying to squeeze in a day of laundry in-between sightseeing.

Hi! We are having pre-cruise and post-cruise tour in addition to our 11 day med cruise. Looks like we would need to have 4 large pcs. of luggage. Will all 4 fit under the bed of a regular veranda cabin? Thanks in advance :)

Yes I just got off the Silhouette and had my four huge suitcases under the bed and two carry ons. You will need to keep two of those cases handy to slip out on a daily basis since the room clothing storage is inadequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our long trip in 2013 was 3 1/2 months, 18 of those were a cruise. We had 2 large pieces of luggage and 1 carry on small size. Each of us had a backpack for meds, cameras, laptop, iPads & chargers. Kept up on laundry, not a problem. I may wear jeans or capris more then once but I never wear a top more then once.

During the cruise I probably sent laundry 3 times. Do not send anything delicate though, everything is done hot water and hot dryer. Those delcate things I laundered myself in the sink or shower. :)

It will be tight but should not be a problem. We bought a light hard shell since our Tumi suitcases were very heavy. On some ships we have to open it while on others it fits closed without any problem. In the old days, the ships would store your luggage. My mother would travel on the SS France with enough luggage for 20.

I'll concur with what others here are saying about packing less. Each time we go to Europe, we take less and less. Our most recent trip was in the winter (packing for snow/ice/cold), and even so we got by with one medium-sized suitcase and one smaller one. Consider how you will be getting around, how you will carry your bags, the extra costs associated, etc.

OTOH, I'm not sure there's any need to sacrifice a day (or half-day, or whatever time) of valuable destination time in order to do laundry. If you pack strategically, you should be able to go nine days without a visit to the laundromat, but rather washing some items in your room and/or using hotel laundry services.

There's plenty online about packing light, packing smart, etc... try Rick Steves for starters:

www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/packing-smart

I had an oceanview room and my 28" suitcase did not fit under the bed. It spent my cruise in the corner of the room. My DH's suitcase did fit under the bed. I've taken this specific suitcase of mine on other cruises (with Carnival) and this was the first time it didn't fit under the bed.

Back in the old days, when we overpacked :eek: before we realized that we really didn't need all that 'stuff', we could fit a large suitcase between the end of the couch and the sliding door to the balcony.

I now use the rolling method. I roll all my pants and place them in a plastic grocery bag, tie tightly. Same with long sleeve shirts and short sleeve shirts. Formal night dresses (I buy specifically for easy packing) I fold tightly, then put in a gallon ziplock and squeeze all the air out.

When I get home, I evaluate what I didn't wear or didn't get much use out of, and leave those items out next time. It takes some discipline at first, then it becomes second nature. On our last 15 night cruise, I never wore the same thing twice to dinner (except my dressy black pants).

Don't forget that you can open up your largest suitcase under the bed and even put smaller cases in it on each side once opened.

I never get why people say there isn't enough storage. Even in a basic room. Back on our first couple cruises when we were bringing everything in the world just for "choices" we had no problem. I used to take about 14 pairs of shoes. Every cute sandal I had, plus several dressy shoes and a couple tennis shoes/non athletic sneakers. Really? One pair of shoes for one outfit!! Yeah I got smart fast. At dinner my shoes are under the table! I have a low and a high black pair, one more dressy than the other, and it works pretty much every night. Any extra room I might end up with in my carry on or my suitcase I take another pair as my "reward" for packing smart, but lately I've been getting by with 6 or 7 total and that includes what I wear on the plane. I think I could do it with 5 if truth be known. And if I'm honest with myself I pretty much wear the same comfortable (cute) sandals on board the ship the entire cruise and even on some excursions. You know, the ones you keep at the back door at home.

If you get your room steward to bring you some more hangers you can hang everything you want. Between my husband and myself we usually need to get 15 more. There are drawers you can put your smaller items/undies/socks, costume jewelry, belts, etc. in. And the big compartment over the bed is huge and you can put all your folded clothes up there. I'm only 5'3" and have no trouble at all accessing it. I put my shorts, my pants, tees, foldable tanks/shirts, hats, tote bags, etc. there. We aren't clutter people at home and in smaller quarters we also like to put things away and out of sight so the room stays looking neat. We've never found we couldn't do this on a cruise either. We've only sailed Celebrity, however, so I have no idea if we'd have trouble on other cruise lines. I'm thinking not.

I put my shoes on the floor of the closet and my dirty clothes under the bed in an open suitcase. I hand wash under garments all during the cruise and clip them to a hanger (I bring plastic clips) and many of my knit items that dry fast I also hand wash. Every fourth day or so we send out shorts, tees, boxers, socks, etc.

My wardrobe now consists of a whole lot of wrinkle-free "Travelers" type clothing that looks good even after it's been rolled, dries fast with a hand wash, and mixes and matches with everything else. I love color and fashion and shopping and clothing and am totally happy with how I can pack minimally and still have what I want to wear.

I know many are like me and make lists of what they'll wear. I admit it, I do it every time, kind of pre-deciding what I'll wear for dinners, what my excursion clothes will be, walking around the ship clothes, etc. Last five cruises I've kind of done a good job of making things work. If I wear a short sleeve top on a Tuesday for part of the day just walking around the ship, I have no issue with wearing that same top on a Friday evening under a jacket, jazzed up with a scarf or some jewelry. In January I wore a lot of greens, blues, teals and it was easy to mix it up. It just happened when I was packing that I was choosing that color palette and it worked well.

Another thing we did once on an Alaskan cruise was use those space bags to condense the heavier jackets and sweaters we knew we'd need on glacier hiking, on deck while cruising the glacier, etc. Worked great.

If your suitcase doesn't slide right under the bed easily, you may need to lift up the bed a little on one side to slide the suitcase underneath, past the frame that hangs down at the edge.

Or how about piling two cases under the bed , while opened! ;-)