Discounts for booking your next cruise on board?

Manbo

We are planning our Alaska cruise for 2015. We also are cruising this June. Should we book our 2015 cruise while on board this summer? What about pre-purchased credits?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Actually one can book onboard but it needs to be done in the Internet Café (or with one's own laptop/tablet/smart phone) and there is no incentive to do so, no discounts or anything. Access to ncl.com is free though. :)

I would also suggest purchasing a FCR onboard, just don't believe the marketing gimmick about "free" OBC and just think the FCR price as $150 - absolutely no need to spend another $100 for something else.

Actually one can book onboard but it needs to be done in the Internet Café (or with one's own laptop/tablet/smart phone) and there is no incentive to do so, no discounts or anything. Access to ncl.com is free though. :)

I would also suggest purchasing a FCR onboard, just don't believe the marketing gimmick about "free" OBC and just think the FCR price as $150 - absolutely no need to spend another $100 for something else.

Exactly

I have never tried to go to the internet cafe and book my next cruise but you can do it. I prefer to come home and look at everything. Your FCC will be valid for 4 years so no need to jump through hoops to book the next one unless you know exactly what you want. If you have that picked out already, then go for it.

NCL's Freestyle Cruise Rewards Terms & Conditions for US and Canada

To redeem your Freestyle Cruise Rewards please call your Travel Professional or NCL at 1-866-234-7352. At time of booking, please notify us or your Travel Professional that your Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit will be applied to the reservation.

1. When you charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit to your shipboard account, you will receive Cruise Reward credit in USD or CAD based on which office your current cruise was purchased (credit will go in your NCL guest record or NCL Latitudes account); and an instant $100 shipboard credit towards your current cruise.

2. Your Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit is charged in U.S. dollars. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards to your shipboard account.

3. A maximum of four (4) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits may be purchased per person.

4. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant $100 shipboard credit. A Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash. Cruise Rewards Deposits are transferable at no charge.

5. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for sailings of 6 days or longer.

6. Limit one (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used per stateroom; and may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

7. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for new reservations made within 4 years from the date of purchase, and become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit.

8. You must notify NCL or your Travel Professional that a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be applied at the time of reservation. No black-out dates will apply. Reservations are subject to availability.

9. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits cannot be combined with chartered cruises, employee, friends and family, interline and travel agent rates.

10. To cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit, you must submit the cancellation in writing and it must be received by NCL in accordance with NCL cancellation policies and procedures. The Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be re-issued minus any cancellation fees, but will retain its original expiration date. If you cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit after its expiration date, it will be forfeited. You are expected to have appropriate travel documentation. Cancellations due to lack of appropriate travel documentation (e.g., improper or expired visas or passports, etc.) will incur applicable cancellation fees.

11. In addition to these Terms and Conditions, you must comply with the NCL the NCL (Bahamas) Ltd. d/b/a NCL and/or NCL America Inc.'s (together "NCL") Terms and Conditions of the Cruise Brochure and Passenger Ticket Contract.

I don't understand "don't believe the gimmick of 100 obc"

What should we not believe? I have not bought one before.

The FCR (not FCC, as so many like to call it) is worth $250 (used as a deposit on a cabin for a future cruise). Your shipboard account will be charged $250 along with a simultaneous credit for $100, which is the $100 OBC that NCL touts. That means you will be charged a net cost of $150 for the FCR. NCL wants you to believe that the $100 OBC is money that you can spend on other items on the ship, so many people go out and do just that. In reality, you don't really have an additional $100 to spend - the $100 is pre-spent because it's really just a discount on the $250 cost of the FCR. That's why some of us call it a marketing gimmick. It's still a great deal and I highly recommend buying at least one FCR. However, don't think that you'll have an extra $100 to spend because you really don't.

I don't understand "don't believe the gimmick of 100 obc"

What should we not believe? I have not bought one before.

One FCR costs $250.

When purchasing FCR(s) you will get immediate $100 credit for each FCR to your onboard account.

Result: if you don't think that you have "extra" OBC, the real cost of FCR is $250 - $100 = $150.

NCL's marketing material makes you think that you have extra money to spend when in reality you can walk away without spending any more money and can get the FCR(s) for only $150 each.

Edited by Demonyte

so if you don't spend the $100 you get a refund on the last day? Or is it use it or lose it.

This may be a way to get DH to eat in a specialty restaurant "we have extra money to spend" lol.

You can't avoid spending the $100, as the FCC will have cost you $250. The money you get back is applied against that if you don't spend on anything else.

It's just a credit against your account. The same account used to buy the FCC.

What if you book a cruise after you come home and then cancel? Do you just get $150 back since you spent $100 in OBC while on the cruise?

If you cancel then you just get the certificate back, with the same expiry date. The only way to convert it into cash would be to sell it.

Edit to say, the credit is refundable for a short time after purchase, so you can get cash back at that point. You just get $150 though.

Edited by KeithJenner

You don't book onboard, but you can buy a future cruise credit valued at $250 for $150.

It is valid for 4 years, can be transferred, and acts as a full deposit even if a larger deposit would be required (unless you are booking a suite).

Not true. We used a FCR to book a suite on the our upcoming Dawn cruise. You cannot use it for full deposit on "specialty suites" which I believe are owners suites, Haven etc. A regular family suite can certainly be booked with a FCR.

Not true. We used a FCR to book a suite on the our upcoming Dawn cruise. You cannot use it for full deposit on "specialty suites" which I believe are owners suites, Haven etc. A regular family suite can certainly be booked with a FCR.

Sorry for the outrageously misleading statement. :)

Edited by KeithJenner

Can you use OBC to purchase the certificate?

Or my next bet is the NCL credit card for double points.

Yes, I have used non-refundable OBC twice--once I had the HSN $100 credit and the second time I had NCL WorldPerks $100 credit. So essentially I got a $250 benefit and it only cost me $50 [$250-$100 (for buying the FCR) -$100 (HSN or WorldPerks)]

Edited by pizzalady1

NCL's Freestyle Cruise Rewards Terms & Conditions for US and Canada

To redeem your Freestyle Cruise Rewards please call your Travel Professional or NCL at 1-866-234-7352. At time of booking, please notify us or your Travel Professional that your Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit will be applied to the reservation.

1. When you charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit to your shipboard account, you will receive Cruise Reward credit in USD or CAD based on which office your current cruise was purchased (credit will go in your NCL guest record or NCL Latitudes account); and an instant $100 shipboard credit towards your current cruise.

2. Your Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit is charged in U.S. dollars. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards to your shipboard account.

3. A maximum of four (4) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits may be purchased per person.

4. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant $100 shipboard credit. A Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash. Cruise Rewards Deposits are transferable at no charge.

5. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for sailings of 6 days or longer.

6. Limit one (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used per stateroom; and may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

7. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for new reservations made within 4 years from the date of purchase, and become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit.

8. You must notify NCL or your Travel Professional that a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be applied at the time of reservation. No black-out dates will apply. Reservations are subject to availability.

9. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits cannot be combined with chartered cruises, employee, friends and family, interline and travel agent rates.

10. To cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit, you must submit the cancellation in writing and it must be received by NCL in accordance with NCL cancellation policies and procedures. The Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be re-issued minus any cancellation fees, but will retain its original expiration date. If you cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit after its expiration date, it will be forfeited. You are expected to have appropriate travel documentation. Cancellations due to lack of appropriate travel documentation (e.g., improper or expired visas or passports, etc.) will incur applicable cancellation fees.

11. In addition to these Terms and Conditions, you must comply with the NCL the NCL (Bahamas) Ltd. d/b/a NCL and/or NCL America Inc.'s (together "NCL") Terms and Conditions of the Cruise Brochure and Passenger Ticket Contract.

Can you only use your FCR for booking through the US site or is it also possible to use it through the European web site?

Can you only use your FCR for booking through the US site or is it also possible to use it through the European web site?

I can't say for sure about the European web site, but in the UK the FCC is converted into an amount in pounds and you have to phone to make a booking, rather than use the web site. I'd guess it's the same in Europe.

The UK website has terms and conditions for the FCC relevant to the UK. The European site probably has the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

The currency that FCR will be in is based on the office that the original cruise is booked through, when you have booked the cruise through European office, the FCR will be in euros (they have fixed amounts for how much FCRs are worth in CAD, EUR and UBP) and needs to be used through European office to book the next cruise.

Also one can't use it directly online (at least on US site) but you need to either book by phone or make a reservation online but not pay the deposit but instead place it on 24hr courtesy hold and then call in to have the FCR applied to the reservation already in their system waiting for the payment.

The currency that FCR will be in is based on the office that the original cruise is booked through, when you have booked the cruise through European office, the FCR will be in euros (they have fixed amounts for how much FCRs are worth in CAD, EUR and UBP) and needs to be used through European office to book the next cruise.

Also one can't use it directly online (at least on US site) but you need to either book by phone or make a reservation online but not pay the deposit but instead place it on 24hr courtesy hold and then call in to have the FCR applied to the reservation already in their system waiting for the payment.

It's possible that the 24 hour hold thing won't work outside the US. In the UK you have to do it all on the phone. First time I used one, I started the booking online and when I phoned I needed to select a different room as the one I wanted was blocked by myself, and they couldn't apply it to that one.

That was a couple of years ago though, so maybe things have changed. I just phone up these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your answers Demonyte and KeithJenner. I also found some info on the NCL European site :

WHAT IS THE FREESTYLE CRUISE REWARDS PROGRAMME?

You’ve only just arrived on board but can’t wait to plan your next cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line? On board you have the possibility to purchase Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposits towards a future cruise with us of U.S. $ 250 each (The deposit will be the Euro equivalent. The exchange rate is revised on a quarterly basis.).

Our thank you for your loyalty is an on-board credit of U.S. $ 100 each that you can use on your current cruise to pamper yourself in the spa, splurge in the Gift Shops or take the Shore Excursion that you have always dreamed of. You’re free to use it wherever. Please note that for this programme special terms and conditions apply. See our Cruise Consultant on board for full details.

It´s so easy to get your free US $ 100,-:

Place your US $ 250,- deposit on a future cruise of six nights or longer by filling out the form you´ll find on board and drop it off at the Reception Desk or leave it with your Cruise Consultant.

You don´t have to choose your future sail dates or itineraries at that time - just book a new cruise and sail within the next four years.

Please note that Cruise Rewards can only be redeemed on cruises of six nights and longer.

Purchase a maximum of four Cruise Rewards per person. Limit of one Cruise Reward deposit per one stateroom, only valid for future bookings. Cruise Rewards are fully transferable at no cost.

It does not bother me to have to book by phone. I allways book travels by phone since my husband is in a wheelchair and we need HC cabin etc...

• 1 month later...

What if you already booked another cruise? If you cancel and rebook after you buy the rewards on-board is it still considered a "new booking"?

Edited to clarify. We are going on a 1nt CTN next month and I already booked a cruise for 2015.

Edited by allshookup