Tours off the ship

cawdl

Remember that Hawaii is nothing like the Caribbean where anyone with a vehicle can be a taxi or offer tours. It is a state and therefore has all the regulations as any other state. Taxis must have a permit and are metered. Tours can only be done by a company that has a permit and there vehicles inspected. So, they are safe.

Therefore there are limited tour companies and they mostly cater to hotel guests. There are not a lot of vendors at the piers. You would be best ogg arranged tours before leaving for Hawaii. Just use the internet to found the tour companies and book them. Also, there are many tour brokers and not the many different tour companies. So, know if you are dealing with the actual tour company or a reseller.

AS the previous poster mentioned, most ports don't have venders / tour guides waiting to solicit passengers. Instead, most require advanced bookings due to licensing, insurance, etc. If you prefer to be more spontaneous, I would suggest renting a car and exploring on your own. Otherwise, do some research and book some excursions in advance - you'll be glad you did!

Enjoy your adventure!

Specifically related to the luaus in Maui, are the internet discounters reputable as they are significantly cheaper (esp for us when they offer a free child AND discounted adult rates)? My boys just want to see the fire dancers. I am afraid to book on-line after reading some issues with these types of companies, more associated with car rentals and hotel rates, but then many others have used them without issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the responses,

I read in the book Hawaii by Cruise Ship that Kona and Honolulu both have on-site tours available at the north end of the pier at a visitor information center and in the Aloha Tower area, respectively. Whether what you want is available may be a different story.... Also, although Kona is a tender port, my book says it is a "walkable" area with a beach nearby. I would be surprised if there were not offerings at the other ports. There is a youtube video of a guy jumping from Black Rock and a paddle board renter quoted him $15 back in 2011. I have also read where whale watch cruises may be discounted on-site if they don't fill up. I know if someone has their heart set on something they should book in advance, but there will be other vendors looking for sales. The general reply to book in advance does not allow for any spontaneous fun!

Specifically related to the luaus in Maui, are the internet discounters reputable as they are significantly cheaper (esp for us when they offer a free child AND discounted adult rates)? My boys just want to see the fire dancers. I am afraid to book on-line after reading some issues with these types of companies, more associated with car rentals and hotel rates, but then many others have used them without issue.

Trip Advisor may have some comments on the internet discounters that you're considering. Tom Barefoot's Tours has been in business since 1975 but I haven't booked any Hawaiian tours in years. I prefer luaus like the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele. These more expensive popular luaus are never discounted and it's the larger luaus that will sometimes have a discount. When friends visit us in Maui we've gone to one of the large hotel luaus and they enjoyed it including the fire dancers. :)

http://www.tombarefoot.com/maui/activities_maui.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

Trip Advisor may have some comments on the internet discounters that you're considering. Tom Barefoot's Tours has been in business since 1975 but I haven't booked any Hawaiian tours in years. I prefer luaus like the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele. These more expensive popular luaus are never discounted and it's the larger luaus that will sometimes have a discount. When friends visit us in Maui we've gone to one of the large hotel luaus and they enjoyed it including the fire dancers. :)

http://www.tombarefoot.com/maui/activities_maui.html

Thanks, I have looked them up! We would have done the Feast at Lele but had a change of plans and now are bringing 8 year old twins who won't touch half the food I suspect. We would have enjoyed the food there I'm sure. I am not thrilled with the reviews that talk about how the OLL is too much history (and no fire dancers). Do you have an opinion between the Hyatt and the Sheraton's Luaus, and differentiating features? One much better than the other or are they about the same? tia

I doubt the 2014 copy will do me any good leaving in a few weeks, but who knows, maybe we will love this cruise so much we will book another, seeing as we are on a roll with the cruises lately;)

We did choose a luau and booked it, so that's one more decision made. Thanks for the suggestion to use tombarefoot, great site.

Thanks, I have looked them up! We would have done the Feast at Lele but had a change of plans and now are bringing 8 year old twins who won't touch half the food I suspect. We would have enjoyed the food there I'm sure. I am not thrilled with the reviews that talk about how the OLL is too much history (and no fire dancers). Do you have an opinion between the Hyatt and the Sheraton's Luaus, and differentiating features? One much better than the other or are they about the same? tia

I've been to both luaus although it was years ago but I much preferred the Hyatt's luau. It was a smaller venue & I preferred the food & entertainment at the Hyatt. At the Sheraton when looking at the stage you looked away from the ocean with the highrise hotel buildings in the background. At the Hyatt in the background was a partial ocean view but not an unobstructed view like at the OLL & Feast at Lele.

I suspect that you're correct about the food & that 8 year olds would not enjoy the food at the Feast at Lele. ;) I think it's more for adults & the chef's adjacent restaurant has high quality expensive food & I thought the Feast at Lele was comparable. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Definitely decide WHAT you want to do before you cruise....get a guidebook....then, you can decide HOW to do it! Hawaii is very easy to drive...so a rental car is a good DIY way. If you prefer a tour, then compare the ship's tours with private ones....google what you're looking for!

I am sailing with NCL around the islands next month. I was wondering whether 1. Can you just walk off the ship and find tours/tour agents on the piers? 2. If you can, is it safe? 3.Is this cheaper?

Although we're not sailing until September, everything I've read on the boards recommends not waiting until the last minute... I already have reservations for our rental cars in Oahu, Maui & Kauai. We booked a tour on-line for our day in Hilo and we're just planning to walk around the town in Kailua-Kona. We've also booked our luau for our last night in Honolulu. Check out the imbedded links...

As a previous poster stated, the ports in Hawaii are not like those in the Caribbean. You can most certainly book excursions on board the ship, but your selections may be limited. Plan ahead.

We did the NCL cruise with Pride of America around the Hawaiian Islands a few years back now.

I thought you might be interested - On Kaua'i berths near Lihu'e on the eastern side of the island, and nearby is Nawilliwili Bay or Beach. On our cruise we took the ship's shore excursions to visit the Waimea Canyon. After the excursions, we had a couple of hours to fill in, and guess what, just a short walk around from where cruise ship is berth is Nawilliwili Beach (about 20 minute easy walk), and I think there was a Marriott Hotel there too, and of course, a Duke's Restaurant.

We walked to the beach, to enjoy a very nice swim. Also on the beach, there were native Hawi'ians take people out paddle in their outrigger canoes.

This little rectangular beach, became one of our favourite swimming spots in Hawaii.

We did the NCL cruise with Pride of America around the Hawaiian Islands a few years back now.

I thought you might be interested - On Kaua'i berths near Lihu'e on the eastern side of the island, and nearby is Nawilliwili Bay or Beach. On our cruise we took the ship's shore excursions to visit the Waimea Canyon. After the excursions, we had a couple of hours to fill in, and guess what, just a short walk around from where cruise ship is berth is Nawilliwili Beach (about 20 minute easy walk), and I think there was a Marriott Hotel there too, and of course, a Duke's Restaurant.

We walked to the beach, to enjoy a very nice swim. Also on the beach, there were native Hawi'ians take people out paddle in their outrigger canoes.

This little rectangular beach, became one of our favourite swimming spots in Hawaii.