Duck tape on luggage

Hmmm, I've never put put duct tape on luggage before. Maybe make a big "X" on each side to mark it? :confused:

I'm personally a fan of oversized, brightly colored baggage name tags...works for us to distinguish the bags from others, and doesn't leave tape residue on the bag. :)

I just bought bright orange duct tape and put one stripe down each side, so no matter which way it shows up on the conveyer, we will see it. I had thought about doing big numbers; 1, 2, 3, etc. so we would know what piece is missing, but opted for the single long piece. We have the big colorful tags too, but when the luggage is turned away from you or other pieces are blocking the view, it's sometimes hard to see.

This is why all of my suitcases are not black. Everyone else has black!

So funny! We bought really ugly looking red suitcases because we also thought everyone else's was black. Guess what? Last time we flew the airline carousel was filled with everyone's RED suitcases!! Maybe that duct tape idea has some merit...

Cheryl

Just bought bright red duck tape mainly to 'mark' our very common black luggage. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Now your luggage will look just like mine......:rolleyes:

So funny! We bought really ugly looking red suitcases because we also thought everyone else's was black. Guess what? Last time we flew the airline carousel was filled with everyone's RED suitcases!! Maybe that duct tape idea has some merit...

Cheryl

I bought red too, for the same reason. I couldn't believe how many others had red luggage! I had bright green tags though, which my family laughed at until they saw how easy it was to pick our stuff out of the mess!

I purchased yellow and red duct tape and taped the main handle yellow and put two red stripes on top of the yellow.(kind of like ribbon candy)

I did this on all 6 of our bags and they stood out like a 70's disco shirt.

Webski:

Don't get my luggage - I did the same pattern with red & yellow tape on the handles. But I also put a big F on each side to make it a little easier to spot. I always add alittle something different each time. We are flyiny this time so no big tags for the machines to catch and rip off!

Haven't talked about it too much but...

This would be a great application for RFID!

Carry around your receiver - could be built into your cell phone, PDA even a digital watch if you are into them!

Think of it as a LoJack of sorts for your bags. Set the proximity to 5 meters. You can relax and talk with friends, etc. When your bags start arriving you are notified that they are close to you. Advanced programming could allow you to track them too in case someone walks off with your bag, etc.

If you didn't mind added cost you could even have the capability to find your bag if it went into the drink! Thank goodness this rarely happens but it does - witness the incident in June (Princess Star - bags never found!) and in May on NCL Star (what is it with star ships anyway? :p)

Anyways...

Lots of ideas abound in tech from RFID to alcohol detection!

Cheers,

-Norman

We used neon yellow ribbon tied to the handles, and neon green duct tape wrapped around the handles and a big "Z" on both sides of our luggage (1st letter of our last name). Believe me, no one else would have dared to take our luggage - LOL!!!

Someone is selling Neon Handle Wraps - Nylon with Velcro fasteners - goes around the handle and inside is space for a business card - Set of 2 for I think $5.00 I bought Green and Yellow

Like the Big Tags - Neon colors

Someone in one of the Airline Mags is selling Huge Initials that stick on - Vinyl

looked reasonable.

I take Neon colored paper and with my laser printer make business size luggage tags and then laminate them - put two or three on each suit case - one of each color.

We bought a bag of wire tie wraps and placed them on our handles. The ones we purchased were neon color, yellow, orange, and green. Did not put them on tight, left them loose.

Also use them to "lock" our luggage. This way, no key necessary. Just cut them after trip and relock each flight. It also lets us know if someone has been in our baggage or not.

Tim & Crystal

We use fluorescent orange on the handles. Just came back from an airline trip and someone actually grabbed my hot orange-handled luggage off the belt ahead of me. I guess they "forgot" THEY didn't wrap fluorescent tape around their handles.

I always have white duct tape with my name on it in three places on each piece of luggage. The top just in case it is in a logical position, the handle end in case it has been stacked on end, and on the bottom as the airline handlers love to send them out upside down.

I am a firm beleiver that the more places you have your name, the less the TSA people are concerned about it....

We recently were on a 4 week Middle East vacation which involved nine flights. We were given ribbon by the travel agent that was handling one phase of the trip. If I recall properly, it was just plain ribbon like you would use for Christmas presents (bows), the satiny type. Each piece of luggage just has that tied around the handle. There were two groups on our tour. The ribbon was to let the bus drivers know what luggage went on which bus as well as locating it in the airport. If surely came in handy and is CHEAP and won't gum up your luggage as tape sometimes can:) !!!!

We purchase the colored straps that go around the luggage. They definitely mark our luggage from a distance and are easily identifiable.

There was a post a while ago where the OP claimed that the straps or where they clip together got hung up in the carousel causing damage to his bag -

Archived