A few questions with Carnival

BritishCruiser101

Hi everyone, I'm planning on a Carnival Dream cruise next January to the Bahamas and Key west, and I have a few questions, please help...

1) I live in England - the cruise departs from New Orleans - do I fly over the night before or very early morning (like 2 am) on the day of the cruise because of time difference?:confused::confused::confused:

2) Are the Interior cabins with the walkway picture window any good?

3) Is it worth visiting Freeport, Nassau and Key west because this cruise is 7 nights meaning only three port day and three sea days?

4) What is the muster drill like on Carnival Dream? Do you take your life jacket?

5) How smooth is embarkation for someone like me who doesn't have Carnival Platinum or anything like that?

6) Are the pools and water slides on the Dream salt water like all the older ones?

Thanks for reading my questions, please help and answer :)

Hi everyone, I'm planning on a Carnival Dream cruise next January to the Bahamas and Key west, and I have a few questions, please help...

1) I live in England - the cruise departs from New Orleans - do I fly over the night before or very early morning (like 2 am) on the day of the cruise because of time difference?:confused::confused::confused:

I would come in the day before. I do this myself and only live about 5 hours away. You can not control everything so I like a cushion

Love these rooms. Cheaper than and OV but high up on the ship. Always try to get one of these.

3) Is it worth visiting Freeport, Nassau and Key west because this cruise is 7 nights meaning only three port day and three sea days?

There are better itineraries out there. I like the exotic Caribbean but in my eyes there is never a bad cruise.

4) What is the muster drill like on Carnival Dream? Do you take your life jacket?

You no longer have to take life jackets with you for muster. Thank goodness.

5) How smooth is embarkation for someone like me who doesn't have Carnival Platinum or anything like that?

Never had a problem but you could purchase FTTF to get on ship quicker and have you room ready when you board.

6) Are the pools and water slides on the Dream salt water like all the older ones?

Not 100% sure but I believe pools are salt water/B]

Hope this helps

I can try and help with a few ... :)

1) I would suggest at least coming in the day before, or a couple days early if you can swing it, since New Orleans is a great city to visit! We did 3 days pre-cruise there a few years ago. I definitely would NOT fly in day of, you wouldn't want to miss the ship because your flight was late or cancelled!

2) I've never been on this type class ship, but have been on another ship with interior and french door (similar-ish). In my opinion, an interior room with light is definitely better than a regular one! And much cheaper than a balcony. I *think* though that on this ship ocean view cabins are bigger than interiors (220 sq ft vs 185). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

3) I've been on several cruises visiting these ports. Granted they are not my favourite, but if you've never been before I'm sure you will enjoy. I can recommend the trolley tour in Key West, we did that a few months ago. Check the port of call boards for more ideas! I personally love sea days, so that would not be a deterrent for me. So relaxing!

4) leave your life jacket in the room

5) Getting on in NO was smooth, even without priority. However, you can buy Faster to the Fun for $50/cabin which gets you priority boarding and a few other things if you wanted that.

6) No idea!

Hope this helps, have fun planning! I just did a cruise to your part of the world last fall (British Isles) and loved it there! :)

You are flying a long way to cruise ,I wouldn't do this itinerary if I were you. We love the Exotic Western the most with Southern being second.If you get a chance youtube west bay beach Roatan this is Roatan, Honduras our favorite port by far (Exotic Western)

I would fly in the day before early in the morning and get your vacation going early !! Our last cruise we arrived the day before at around 8am dropped our bags off at the hotel and had the whole day to spend in Miami

Embark should be easy especially if you ignore the email to show up later. Before we were platinum we arrived around 10:30 and didn't wait very long to board(just be patient)

Most of the cabins are small ,I would look at the deck plans and pick a location you like ,that's more important for us.We always cruise Lido right by the action and always happy with the location

Pools are usually all salt water and they usually get emptied at night

Muster drills are no biggie ,you leave your life jacket in your cabin now though. It doesn't take long just don't be the first ones their or it takes a bit longer waiting for the people who cannot follow rules and show up on time

(1) I would recommend flying in the day before. That's how most people do it. Too many things can cause you to miss the ship coming in the day of the cruise.

(2) I haven't had any of these rooms. They are smaller than oceanview rooms, and forward rooms like these feel more motion than rooms closer to midship.

(3) I think the itinerary with Roatan is a much better one. Roatan is the best port in the Western Caribbean, as long as you get away from the manmade beach right by where the ship ports. Like mikel24m said, the beaches at the west end are amazing. The itinerary that goes to Grand Cayman & Jamaica is also better than the Key West & Bahamas one.

(4) Don't take your life jacket, and you won't have to go outside. You'll either be in a dining room or the theater. They make it very nice for us on the Dream class ships.

(5) Show up early (around 10:30 or so), and it shouldn't be a problem. You won't have to wait too long.

(6) Like my mom just said, the pools are saltwater, but the whole waterworks area is fresh water.

Hi fellow British cruiser!

We are cruising this August and are flying in at least the day before, possibly earlier depending on what Carnival give us...we booked with them as it was cheaper because our cruise has different debarkation / embarkation points. Although I believe booking independently is cheaper for return flights.

A word of warning on flights/cruise we sailed round the Baltics this past summer and met a US couple with teens who were missing 2 from their party. Their parents were flying in later due to commitments and had booked flights to arrive very late the night before, needless to say their flight was delayed and they flew out the morning of our cruise and missed our ship.

Carnival said they didnt book flights with them so they could not do a thing.

We love Carnival btw and also recommend Faster to the Fun to get on the ship earlier with your stuff delivered earlier.

Edited by Velvetwater

Like others have said, I wouldn't fly all that way to visit those ports. If you're already coming to the US and New Orleans is on your list of places to see (as it should be!), and that cruise works out for your schedule, then by all means go for it, but if you're planning a trip here just to cruise, I'd pick something more interesting.

As others have said, it's best to fly in a day or two early. I'm guessing that by 2 am that is the time you will arrive in NOLA. If that's the case, what would you do until the ship starts boarding around 11 am. You're better off getting there a day early and staying at a hotel until you can go to the port and get on the ship.

NOLA stays alive late at night but after a long flight, I'm pretty sure you just want to relax.

1) I live in England - the cruise departs from New Orleans - do I fly over the night before or very early morning (like 2 am) on the day of the cruise because of time difference?

Absolutely fly in the day before, and stay overnight in a hotel. Aviation infrastructure in the US is pretty bad. Flights get delayed or canceled all the time. Also, New Orleans is a city like no other. Give yourself a day to see it. It's older than the US, and the architecture is amazing. By all means, check out Bourbon Street at night. And remember: when a guy on the street makes a bet with you on where you got your shoes, the correct answer is "on my feet". :D

I never sailed on a Dream class ship, so I can't tell you, sorry.

Totally worth it. Key West is another unique city not found anywhere else in the US. It has lots of quirky shops and museums. Bahamas are a former British colony, so check out Nassau, and you'll see familiar architecture. Freeport isn't held in high regard on here, but if you take a taxi to the beach, it's pretty nice. Hopefully, next winter won't be as bitter cold, and Bahamas will be warmer than Britain, the they normally are in January.

You meet in one of the ship's public rooms, which depends on your cabin location. You must sit silently while the crew talks. Carnival doesn't require you to bring your life jacket.

It looks and feels like US airport security before 9/11. There's a lot of waiting in lines, total 20 minutes to an hour. It was fairly quick for me, because I was getting on a small ship. It might be longer for you. It consists of four basic steps: (1) Hand your luggage off to the porter, and you're required to tip $1 per bag; (2) Go through security; (3) Receive your Sail & Sign card, and put cash on it if you want; and (4) Get your embarkation photo taken. Then walk up the gangway with a big smile on your face. :D

I never sailed on Dream, but from what I heard, Carnival's pools are salt water; its slides (and hot tubs) are fresh water.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I have been on the cruise you are taking two times. If you have never been to Key West you are going to love it. The Bahamas have a slower pace, The Atlantis is very expensive I prefer the sailboat and snorkel excursions but book early.

As far as your room goes, as loan as mine is high up not in the belly of the beast I am good to go.

The only thing that would ever get me back on the Dream (big big if!) would be Roatan. I LOVE Nassau specifically for the Blue Lagoon but our cruise didn't allow us enough time to go to it! (We went to it on a different cruise line where we didn't have to be on board until 5:45pm! Big difference from 2pm... we did a SeaHorse catamaran and snorkel like the poster mentioned above and it was WONDERFUL.)

BUT...Roatan almost covers a multitude of sins. (Although a little piece of me dies when I think of sailing the CCL Dream again... *twitch* :D )

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I agree with the others about flying in a day early. It will help with the time change to get some rest when you arrive. New Orleans is a wonderful city with lots of history. If possible I would fly in 2 days ahead and get in a good tour of New Orleans.

The cruise you mentioned is the exact one that I have booked on the Dream. It is hard for others to say if a port is good for you or not. It all depends upon what you like to do. I have never been to any of the three ports and am looking forward to visiting all three. My daughter wants to go to Atlantis in Nassau, we plan to go to the Grand Lucayan Beach Resort and have a beach day in Freeport http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147420-d269508-Reviews-Grand_Lucayan_Bahamas-Freeport_Grand_Bahama_Island_Bahamas.html It is only $15 for a day pass there (bring your own towel) and it looks great. We are just going to walk around and explore in Key West.

I am going to really enjoy those 3 full days at sea on this cruise as I want to spend a lot of time in the Cloud 9 Spa. If you haven't looked at it you should look on YouTube for the great videos there showing all of the rooms. I have a spa cabin booked which includes access to the spa but you can buy weekly or daily passes as well if booked in other cabins.

Fly in early, at least a day, preferably two. The jet lag will get you. Besides, you'll love New Orleans!

If you can swing it, go for the balcony.

In my opinion (which is worth less than a penny :) ), Freeport is the most worthless port that Carnival sails to. Key West is lovely with loads to do, Nassau is too, lots of beaches and things to see.

You don't have to take your life jacket anymore, but it does take about an hour while waiting on everyone to show up, and then receiving the information.

It really depends on Customs and whether there's an inspection that day. However, Carnival usually does a pretty good job of getting passengers off and then on again. Plan on an hour from dockside to first drink of the day.

I haven't sailed the Dream, but I also believe that Carnival's pools are all salt water.

Have a great cruise!