Pre-Purchasing Alcohol/Purchase on Board

IMKTDQT810

When visiting Costco in So Cal. last year, we got a 1.75 litter of Bacardi for $15.99 or $16.99. In WA. same price at Costco but they add almost $11 to it for taxes, so $28 for the same bottle. On the cruise we often purchase the liter bottles and get them for the same rate at home, $11 for a .750 bottle, smaller bottle, but again we don't pay the $7 tax per bottle on the cruise.

It is very expensive to drink in WA. Probably why we legalized pot. lol

Whenever I drive to San Diego to see my daughter, I hit up Costco and Bevmo, and load up.

For those in cheap alcohol states, they have to get taxes somewhere because we don't pay state tax in Wa. So there is a 20% tax on alcohol here and an additional $3.77 liter tax.

As someone else said, I bring an empty rum runner for any leftovers from my Bon Voyage bottle, and then I also pack that in a large ziplock for flying. Plus it's lighter than glass. You can probably save water bottle also, and use that to transport leftovers.

Whenever I drive to San Diego to see my daughter, I hit up Costco and Bevmo, and load up.

For those in cheap alcohol states, they have to get taxes somewhere because we don't pay state tax in Wa. So there is a 20% tax on alcohol here and an additional $3.77 liter tax.

As someone else said, I bring an empty rum runner for any leftovers from my Bon Voyage bottle, and then I also pack that in a large ziplock for flying. Plus it's lighter than glass. You can probably save water bottle also, and use that to transport leftovers.

We do the same!!! Just found out we can fly SW with 5 liters pp. So just have to clear customs... and not tell too many friends or the orders will pile up.

We do the same!!! Just found out we can fly SW with 5 liters pp. So just have to clear customs... and not tell too many friends or the orders will pile up.

I had 2 liters all safely and snuggly wrapped in a travel box to fly home with me from Miami to Indy on Southwest in January. I planned to check the box, but SW wouldn't accept it, they made me pack it in one of my suitcases. The whole box wouldn't fit so I had to take the bottles out and wrap them up. Fortunately I had a big ziplock bag and bubble wrap just in case.

When I got home one of the bottles had been unwrapped and opened. There was a note from the TSA about inspecting my suspicious bag.

I have never understood why people buy alcohol from ports or foreign countries or duty free shops(which is BS). I live in L.A and souther CA has so many options to buy alcohol at great deals..like Costco, BevMo, Vons or Ralphs etc.. I have never found alcohol cheaper outside the SO CA area. Can someone give me an example where alcohol is really cheap?

I buy liquor in port that I cannot buy in the states, like Sheridans and a special black rum from San Juan.

I'm happy to see this thread is still going around. My thoughts on buying DH his alcohol on the ship, bon voyage, is 1- We will have DS (9) with us and IF he wants an early night DH and I can enjoy the balcony. We have never stayed in a Balcony before and plan to enjoy it to the max. Again sit, sip & enjoy!

Also, we are not big drinkers...so this is more like his Anniversary gift to enjoy and bring some home. My other thought was that for the price they charge on the ship at a bar, for the same thing he could have in his hand that I have had pre-paid and delivered, it would make HIM feel like they are free drinks. Yeah, I pre-paid for them.....but heck, they are free to him. LOL

I also like to buy some things to bring home that I can't get here in WV like 43 and some of the Bacardi's. We still have one bottle from our honeymoon cruise 4 years ago that we still never opened.

• 1 month later...

Did I read there is now a limit on how many bottles can be ordered from Bon Voyage Dept? We have 3 in a cabin and would like to order wine and alcohol but I seem to remember something like only allowing 2 bottled per cabin. Does anyone know the scoop? Thanks.

Come to Canada and you all can gag on the price of liquor.. Your liquor is the USA in any state is cheaper than what we pay.. I pre order and have no problem with the price. Yes the bottles are a little more expensive that what we pay at home, but not by much.

Going to a liquior in the USA is like letting a kid loose in a candy store.

The most expensive state we have seen liquor is Washingston and thier prices were still in my mind as cheap. We have more sin taxes on sin taxes than i care to think about BUT through all my sin tax, I have health care that will not bankrupt me and I don't pay anything extra (besides all the sin taxes) so i will not complain at all

We order a bottle of vodka and rum for the room on each cruise. We have finished most of the bottles, or shared them on the last night, but we did bring one open bottle home with no problem (we drove to the port, so didn't have to worry about securing it for flying).