Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi guys!!!

I've been sooo inspired from just reading about your cruise experience that my husband and I have decided to try it for ourselves!:D We'll be taking along our teenage son, and would like to do the 5-night cruise (SG-Phuket-Langkawi-SG-Redang-SG) at Virgo.

I'd also like to include my mother-in-law but booking for 4 for a 5-night cruise could prove to be quite expensive.:eek: May I then ask what months are considered off-season?

Hope to get some input. Thanks in advance!

Just a quick hello from Hong Kong - having a great time - weather very kind to us. Watched Virgo arrive and depart twice already- when she comes back on Sunday she will take us with her to Singapore :D - she looks as great as ever ...

En route back to Singapore on a calm Sth China Sea . Virgo is pretty full with lots of activity and people all around the boat . Cruise Director is Leonard Lee. The Crew are quite excited about getting back to Singapore after what has been a very hectic season in Hxg . Service as usual is exemplary and vessel is in very good nick considering the hordes through it in Hxg and that is is going into dry dock in SIN in Jan '09.

Tiger beer incl serv charge is S$ 7.50 - cocktails about $9.50

The smooth Sth China seas has decided to rough up a bit - after great weather all the way so far, it is raining for a few hours now and quite windy - you can even feel the ship moving :)

Beautiful sailing up and down Saigon river yesterday - HCMC hectic as usual but worth doing.

Gala dinner tonite :D :) :D and - regrettably - arrival in Singapore early tomorrow :(

Paulchili - we enjoyed a nice chinese dinner in the Noble House restaurant last nite (we like Chinese food as well)

More later ...

boeckli,

Thanks for the note about Noble House - we can't wait.

For what it's worth, Star cruises were rated 2nd after Silversea in the latest 2007 poll for Conde Nast Traveller in the small ship category - that is up from 6th place the year before.

They placed ahead of Seabourn, Regent and others:

http://www.cntraveller.com/ReadersAwards/2007/Cruise_Lines/

Good show!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, things sure have gone very quiet on this thread ...

Here are a few shots from our recent trip. We were lucky enough to see Virgo arrive and depart a couple of times during our pre-cruise stay in HKG (top view from the Salisbury YMCA Hotel, which was very nice)

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%2010008.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%2010015.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%20Pano%201.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%20Pano%202.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20151008%20%200070.JPG

(For more photos, check out my web albums http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/HongKongOct2008 and http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/SuperStarVirgoOct2008 - select Slideshow under the album title for best viewing :) )

Hi Boeckli - thanks for sharing your photos, as always, magnificent photography!

Any news of future ships/itineraries and what will become of N. Dream?

Vera

Thanks, Vera.

No news, I'm afraid - appears they're still pursuing sale plans for N.Dream at this stage.

Awesome pictures boeckli.. I'm booked for May 2009 for my honeymoon.. Can't wait.. My fiancee thinks i'm getting over excited too early.. But he has not read all those lovely posts you guys have written!

So thanks for all the info and pics guys!

Well, things sure have gone very quiet on this thread ...

Here are a few shots from our recent trip. We were lucky enough to see Virgo arrive and depart a couple of times during our pre-cruise stay in HKG (top view from the Salisbury YMCA Hotel, which was very nice)

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%2010008.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%2010015.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%20Pano%201.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20161008%20Pano%202.JPG

HKG%20-%20Virgo%20151008%20%200070.JPG

(For more photos, check out my web albums http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/HongKongOct2008 and http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/SuperStarVirgoOct2008 - select Slideshow under the album title for best viewing :) )

Hi Everyone

We are a family of 4 going on the Virgo in April 2009. We can't wait :D The kids have never been on a cruise before but my husband & I went on the Gemini a couple of years ago.

Any advice would be appreciated. We will be visiting Phuket, Langkawi and Redeng Island.

Thanks,

Louise :)

Hi Everyone

We are a family of 4 going on the Virgo in April 2009. We can't wait :D The kids have never been on a cruise before but my husband & I went on the Gemini a couple of years ago.

Any advice would be appreciated. We will be visiting Phuket, Langkawi and Redeng Island.

Thanks,

Louise :)

First advice would be to read through this thread, there is a lot of good advice and info. Then maybe ask some more specific questions :)

Hi all, I will be on the superstar virgo in December 08 and cant wait! Apparently its a real mix cruise with mainly Asian passangers followed by Aussies, then other smaller groups. does anybody know whether there is any youth (say l8-22) on this sort of cruise? the thought of being stuck with my folks for the WHOLE trip is a worry lol.

Been on a P&O asian cruise before (06) and had the best time!

Also on the previous cruise, we went to thailands Koh Samui, however havent properly been to puhket (docked for a day). Does phuket city offer great markets for cheap clothes and stuff, or is it better to spend the time snorkeling in the reefs? - we are only docked for one day. i'm torn!

Cheers, Nick

Hi all, I will be on the Superstar Virgo in December 08 and cant wait! Apparently its a really mixed cruise with mainly Asian passengers followed by Aussies, then other smaller groups. Does anybody know whether there are any youths (say l8-22) on this sort of cruise? The thought of being stuck with my folks for the WHOLE trip is a worry lol.

Been on a P&O Asian cruise before (06) and had the best time!

Also on the previous cruise, we went to Thailands Koh Samui, however haven't properly been to Phuket (docked for a day). Does Phuket city offer great markets for cheap clothes and stuff, or is it better to spend the time snorkelling in the reefs? - we are only docked for one day. I'm torn!

Cheers, Nick

At that time of the year you should have all age groups on board from Ankle Biters to Seniors. Star have on-board activities for kids, teenagers, young adults, adults and seniors . Your'e sure to find people of similar age to you and plenty of things to get involved in on board . Phuket is more your holiday beach resort, whereas Penang is your shopping town and markets.

This link opens your shore excursions by port for that cruise.

http://www.starcruises.com/newweb/our_fleets/superstar_virgo_shore.aspx

Also fish around on Star website under destinations for more details on the individual pots of call . Hope your tears (from being torn) heal up before your cruise (LOL) !!!!

Thanks Kuldalai, I'm glad to here that! I think while in phuket we will spend the time at patong beach rather then then the city - i'll leave that experiecne for hong kong. Just came upon this site a week ago and i'm very impressed! lots of good info and advice.

By the way everyone, I'm Nick - i was rude and didn't really introduce my self :eek:! I'm a uni student and work part time on the weekends for a travel agency - which i love because i'm always around ppl who are flying or cruising.. my two callings in life!

Sounds like everyone has had really great experiences on this ship, and 90% of my questions are already answered - great thread!:D

I was reading some posts about dresswear... is it not acceptable to wear thongs (shoes) on the ship during the day?? and whilst my parents have a balcony room, My brother and I have a ocean view room... do these rooms still get an amount of free credit included?

Also thanks Justine for finding me over in the 'Asia' category and redirecting me here!:)

Cheers everyone,

Nick

Thanks Kuldalai, I'm glad to here that! I think while in phuket we will spend the time at patong beach rather then then the city - i'll leave that experiecne for hong kong. Just came upon this site a week ago and i'm very impressed! lots of good info and advice.

By the way everyone, I'm Nick - i was rude and didn't really introduce my self :eek:! I'm a uni student and work part time on the weekends for a travel agency - which i love because i'm always around ppl who are flying or cruising.. my two callings in life!

Sounds like everyone has had really great experiences on this ship, and 90% of my questions are already answered - great thread!:D

I was reading some posts about dresswear... is it not acceptable to wear thongs (shoes) on the ship during the day?? and whilst my parents have a balcony room, My brother and I have a ocean view room... do these rooms still get an amount of free credit included?

Also thanks Justine for finding me over in the 'Asia' category and redirecting me here!:)

Cheers everyone,

Nick

Hi Nick - welcome to the boards and the Virgo thread in particular. Hope you'll enjoy her as much as we always have :)

Thongs are certainly OK during the day around the pool and rest of the ship. The dress code regarding open-toed footwear for men applies for Bella Vista and the a la carte restaurants at dinner time (and Palazzo at lunch as well).

F&B credits are normally for balcony cabins only.

Nick, food & beverage credits for Staterooms apply only to Balcony Cabins,

Junior Suites & Excecutive Suites. Oceanview with window is classed as World Cruiser and no F& B credit applies. Your parents Stateroom access card will be RED, and yours will be BLUE .

In Hong Kong two great markets for everything under the sun are :

Stanley Market on HK Island - open daily daytime.

Temple Street Night Market - 6pm onwards till late nightly in Temple Street,

Jordan (nearest MTR station is Jordan) on Kowloon Peninsula.

Suggest you check out this link for things to do in HK and how to get there, and how to see the sights for a song on your own . Scroll down the page to the panel "Featured Advice from Travellers" on how to see the various sights yourself at low cost .

If you have not been to HK before then the must sees are all here :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294217-Activities-Hong_Kong_Hong_Kong_Region.html

Hey all!

Boeckli, Thanks! - that clears alot up. Also i was looking through some of your pics and noticed that you have done a kirra tours tour in NZ as well. We did the l4 day senic splendour back in '03. It was great!

HoneyHoney, Yeah i will! i will take lots of pictures too - cant wait!

Kuldalai, That website was very helpful thankyou. will definately check out those markets. We are also heading into Shenzhen for a day.. so that should be good.

Pitty about the cruising credits! but i'm not worried :D the food sounds great and plentiful.. so i'll just need to buy a few drinks!

Thanks for all ur replies:)

Archived