Review Equinox 1/31/14

jerseygirl3

This was our second year on this same ship/same itinerary/same time of year. As good as it was last year, it was even better this year!

Background: Veteran cruisers, mid-50's

Precruise: Spent 3 nights in Ft. Lauderdale. We were meeting up with a group of friends (19 in all, from all over this country, Canada, and Europe). It got a little worrisome whether everyone would make it given poor weather conditions, but thankfully all made it by embarkation day. Had a wonderful bon voyage dinner at Coconuts. We also ate one night at Kelly's Landing. Both were excellent.

Embarkation: Easy peasy. Arrived around noon and were on the ship being handed champagne in no time. Love that Celebrity maintains this welcoming tradition.

Cabin: 8283 (Cat. 1A) Great location. Close to elevators, quiet, large balcony on the angled hump. Bed by bath, as we prefer. Our cabin attendant and his asst. were excellent. Cabin made up in a timely manner and always spotlessly clean.

Food: We typically eat a few times in the specialty restaurants. This time we skipped them as the food in the MDR was excellent. Every night was wonderful. There was an issue one night with our waiter regarding seating arrangements, and he got a bit surly, but by the next night it was resolved and he was pleasant and professional from that point on. Since we were a group of 19, we had 3 tables nearby each other, late seating. The new menu (yeah, escargot is back) is very good. Our sommolier was the best we've ever had in over 30 cruises. He was always on top of things, made great suggestions, educated us on the wine he was pouring, and our glasses were never empty. We had the 1-2-3 promo, but had upgraded to Premium. He always recommended the high end wines, which we appreciated. In fact, beverage service was excellent everywhere on the ship. No need to worry about the free beverage package causing slowness in service. Our group met each evening in the martini bar and rec'd excellent attention. Thank you "Honey Bunny" and "Daniella". We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you!

Service: Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding. If Celebrity is pushing better customer service, it's working. I don't think one employee, whether it was a bathroom attendant or an officer, ever walked by us without a greeting. And they all seemed genuinely happy.

Ports of Call: St. Thomas - we took the ferry over to St. John and spent some time on Cinnamon Bay. Trunk looked very crowded. Made a stop out Woody's Bar, a fave of ours. Best Bushwackers and conch fritters. St. Kitts - made reservations at Carambola Beach. It didn't disappoint. Barbados - did a catamaran snorkeling tour (independent). Used this company last year (Calabaza), and it is outstanding. Domenica - never got off the ship. St. Maarten - made a visit to our fave jeweler and purchased some lovely bling.

Shows: Can't comment. Never attended one. The Super Bowl was a bit lame. The CD never even welcomed the group. No games during breaks like last year. Plus the game was ultra boring. But the "tailgate food" was fun. We left early and went back to our cabin to watch the game.

Demographics: Largely an older crowd. Very few kids. Never had a problem finding a lounge chair. A lot of Europeans (I think this is their holiday time) and the crowd in general was very courteous and pleasant.

Debarkation: We didn't rush off the ship since we had a 3 p.m. flight. The lines at Customs were very long and slow. They have been greatly affected by sequestration, and there were only 4 customs agents. Not Celebrity's fault.

Overall: We've cruised approx. 35 times, on various cruiselines (Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, HAL, Norwegian, Priness). For the past couple of years we've come to the realization that Celebrity is our fave. We did an onboard booking. So nice that you can now combine offers. So we selected the 1-2-3 promo of the free beverage package and also got a $300 OBC from Celebrity for doing the onboard bookng. We had Celebrity give the booking to our TA, so she gave us add'l OBC. Oh, did I mention that we booked the same ship/itinerary for next February 13? We opted to go a bit later next year (Feb. 13) so our winter doesn't seem quite as long when we get home.

Any questions?

Thanks for the review. We're booked for December 2014 cruise over Christmas and NYE.

I am interested by your comment about the combining of offers since that used to be a no-no. Do you have information on when that changed or what the rules are? We tried to use some of the Captain's Club's coupons on a sailing but were told you couldn't have that and "1-2-3 GO" - pick one!! Looks like there are at least some offers that they will combine.

Thanks for the review. We're booked for December 2014 cruise over Christmas and NYE.

I am interested by your comment about the combining of offers since that used to be a no-no. Do you have information on when that changed or what the rules are? We tried to use some of the Captain's Club's coupons on a sailing but were told you couldn't have that and "1-2-3 GO" - pick one!! Looks like there are at least some offers that they will combine.

Combining offers changed a couple of months ago. Now you can combine two. If we hadn't done an onboard booking, we probably would have selected the beverage package and combine it with our shareholder credit. What you receive from your TA doesn't count. You can combine 2 Celebrity offers now.

One thing I did forget to mention in my review is the music situation. While it was fine in all areas of the ship, the martini bar was another story. We met our group of friends there every evening before dinner. The techno music was so loud we couldn't carry on a conversation. I don't think it would have bothered us all so much if it was playing loudly late in the evening. But it was inappropriate for before-dinner cocktails. We couldn't hear the bartender. The bartender couldn't hear us. Each of us, on a nightly basis, took turns requesting that it be turned down. We got answers that ranged from "the Ipod volume is broken so there's nothing we can do, we're getting a new one in two weeks" to having a supervisor come down and speak to us and promise to have it lowered. The volume would lower for about 10-15 minutes, and then it was back to full volume. On several occasions we reported it to Customer Relations. At one point, I asked them if they are aware of the discussion on Cruise Critic over the music issue. They are aware. They apologized and said they would look into it. The problem continued. Oh well....a small price to pay, I suppose, for a wonderful cruise.

Is that really happening? If so, this may be our last cruise on the Equinox. :(

All the S-Class are supposed to be refitted with the Lawn Club. You are back next week, please ask and let us know.

Edited by wallie5446

All the S-Class are supposed to be refitted with the Lawn Club. You are back next week, please ask and let us know.

I'll ask but I sure hope this is wrong, that is our main source of outdoor entertainment on the ship and I would hate to see it replaced with more paid dining. :(

Wow, I hope this is not true. I know this sounds silly, but the CMOG at Sea is probably one of the biggest reasons we like Celebrity! I have yet to post a review from our last cruise, but the CMOG is always a big part of our cruises! Taking away the CMOG would not make us loyal anymore to X. :mad::mad::mad:

Wow, I hope this is not true. I know this sounds silly, but the CMOG at Sea is probably one of the biggest reasons we like Celebrity! I have yet to post a review from our last cruise, but the CMOG is always a big part of our cruises! Taking away the CMOG would not make us loyal anymore to X. :mad::mad::mad:

It's not silly, it is our favorite thing too, it will certainly make us reconsider any more Celebrity cruises, we already choose itineraries that are not on the Reflection or the Silhouette.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic, thank you for your review!

I'll ask but I sure hope this is wrong, that is our main source of outdoor entertainment on the ship and I would hate to see it replaced with more paid dining. :(

We also love the glass show!! Hope this is not true.

To the OP, thanks for taking the time to share your cruise with us.

We also love the glass show!! Hope this is not true.

To the OP, thanks for taking the time to share your cruise with us.

I had to get to the bottom of this! I have a little source I went to about this. My source said the Hot Glass shows are not going anywhere. However, there will be changes to the studio space where they showcased work and the Lawn Club store.

FINGERS CROSSED my source was correct! I guess whoever is next to sail should ask around and report back, please? :D

I have very, VERY good reason to trust my source :)

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

Combining offers changed a couple of months ago. Now you can combine two. If we hadn't done an onboard booking, we probably would have selected the beverage package and combine it with our shareholder credit. What you receive from your TA doesn't count. You can combine 2 Celebrity offers now.

One thing I did forget to mention in my review is the music situation. While it was fine in all areas of the ship, the martini bar was another story. We met our group of friends there every evening before dinner. The techno music was so loud we couldn't carry on a conversation. I don't think it would have bothered us all so much if it was playing loudly late in the evening. But it was inappropriate for before-dinner cocktails. We couldn't hear the bartender. The bartender couldn't hear us. Each of us, on a nightly basis, took turns requesting that it be turned down. We got answers that ranged from "the Ipod volume is broken so there's nothing we can do, we're getting a new one in two weeks" to having a supervisor come down and speak to us and promise to have it lowered. The volume would lower for about 10-15 minutes, and then it was back to full volume. On several occasions we reported it to Customer Relations. At one point, I asked them if they are aware of the discussion on Cruise Critic over the music issue. They are aware. They apologized and said they would look into it. The problem continued. Oh well....a small price to pay, I suppose, for a wonderful cruise.[/quote

We sailed last March on 2 different ships and the noise was so loud and distorted at the Martini Bar that we experienced the same. We couldn't talk and either had to write what we wanted in the frost on the bar or point to it on the menu that we would always have to get from a table. We would get a drink and leave.

We were told that it was to appeal to the younger crowd, a crowd that we never seen. The only people that hung around were the die hards who probably enjoyed it so they wouldn't have to listen to their nagging spouse or those that were so hard of hearing that it seemed to be a normal level. Not a true Martini Bar atmosphere that usually has a trio playing.

🌅🚢🍸🍻

The upcoming dry dock in May is only for a short time. I don't see how they would have the time to make a major change like that. I think the upcoming dry dock is just to take her out of the water to inspect the hull and do some deep cleaning.

I had to get to the bottom of this! I have a little source I went to about this. My source said the Hot Glass shows are not going anywhere. However, there will be changes to the studio space where they showcased work and the Lawn Club store.

FINGERS CROSSED my source was correct! I guess whoever is next to sail should ask around and report back, please? :D

I have very, VERY good reason to trust my source :)

Thank you Gator Girl! :) I board of Friday (YAY!) and will ask whomever is working the glass shows and any officers I run across. BTW Go Gators! (I grew up near Gainesville)

This was our second year on this same ship/same itinerary/same time of year. As good as it was last year, it was even better this year!

Background: Veteran cruisers, mid-50's

Precruise: Spent 3 nights in Ft. Lauderdale. We were meeting up with a group of friends (19 in all, from all over this country, Canada, and Europe). It got a little worrisome whether everyone would make it given poor weather conditions, but thankfully all made it by embarkation day. Had a wonderful bon voyage dinner at Coconuts. We also ate one night at Kelly's Landing. Both were excellent.

Embarkation: Easy peasy. Arrived around noon and were on the ship being handed champagne in no time. Love that Celebrity maintains this welcoming tradition.

Cabin: 8283 (Cat. 1A) Great location. Close to elevators, quiet, large balcony on the angled hump. Bed by bath, as we prefer. Our cabin attendant and his asst. were excellent. Cabin made up in a timely manner and always spotlessly clean.

Food: We typically eat a few times in the specialty restaurants. This time we skipped them as the food in the MDR was excellent. Every night was wonderful. There was an issue one night with our waiter regarding seating arrangements, and he got a bit surly, but by the next night it was resolved and he was pleasant and professional from that point on. Since we were a group of 19, we had 3 tables nearby each other, late seating. The new menu (yeah, escargot is back) is very good. Our sommolier was the best we've ever had in over 30 cruises. He was always on top of things, made great suggestions, educated us on the wine he was pouring, and our glasses were never empty. We had the 1-2-3 promo, but had upgraded to Premium. He always recommended the high end wines, which we appreciated. In fact, beverage service was excellent everywhere on the ship. No need to worry about the free beverage package causing slowness in service. Our group met each evening in the martini bar and rec'd excellent attention. Thank you "Honey Bunny" and "Daniella". We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you!

Service: Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding. If Celebrity is pushing better customer service, it's working. I don't think one employee, whether it was a bathroom attendant or an officer, ever walked by us without a greeting. And they all seemed genuinely happy.

Ports of Call: St. Thomas - we took the ferry over to St. John and spent some time on Cinnamon Bay. Trunk looked very crowded. Made a stop out Woody's Bar, a fave of ours. Best Bushwackers and conch fritters. St. Kitts - made reservations at Carambola Beach. It didn't disappoint. Barbados - did a catamaran snorkeling tour (independent). Used this company last year (Calabaza), and it is outstanding. Domenica - never got off the ship. St. Maarten - made a visit to our fave jeweler and purchased some lovely bling.

Shows: Can't comment. Never attended one. The Super Bowl was a bit lame. The CD never even welcomed the group. No games during breaks like last year. Plus the game was ultra boring. But the "tailgate food" was fun. We left early and went back to our cabin to watch the game.

Demographics: Largely an older crowd. Very few kids. Never had a problem finding a lounge chair. A lot of Europeans (I think this is their holiday time) and the crowd in general was very courteous and pleasant.

Debarkation: We didn't rush off the ship since we had a 3 p.m. flight. The lines at Customs were very long and slow. They have been greatly affected by sequestration, and there were only 4 customs agents. Not Celebrity's fault.

Overall: We've cruised approx. 35 times, on various cruiselines (Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, HAL, Norwegian, Priness). For the past couple of years we've come to the realization that Celebrity is our fave. We did an onboard booking. So nice that you can now combine offers. So we selected the 1-2-3 promo of the free beverage package and also got a $300 OBC from Celebrity for doing the onboard bookng. We had Celebrity give the booking to our TA, so she gave us add'l OBC. Oh, did I mention that we booked the same ship/itinerary for next February 13? We opted to go a bit later next year (Feb. 13) so our winter doesn't seem quite as long when we get home.

Any questions?

Thanks Jerseygirl. What is the latest you can get off of the ship? We are in the same situation as you as our plane doesn't leave until 3:30 PM

Edited by cptlapcat

Wow, is it that serious?! I only caught the last 3 minutes of a show on my first Celebrity cruise. I will look for it on our next cruise and see if I understand what the swooning over this show is all about.

Wow, is it that serious?! I only caught the last 3 minutes of a show on my first Celebrity cruise. I will look for it on our next cruise and see if I understand what the swooning over this show is all about.

I posted on Celebrity's FB page and they responded saying that there were no plans to remove the glass shows. :) I hope they are telling me the truth.

Thanks Jerseygirl. What is the latest you can get off of the ship? We are in the same situation as you as our plane doesn't leave until 3:30 PM

We tried to hang on as late as possible but they kicked us off (I think my fingernail marks are still on the doorway

We had to leave by 10:15. We were the next to last ones off the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app