Disembarking and Customs aboard Connie

dcarter4

Hey All,

Just looking for some clarification......

We last cruised 2 years ago, aboard the Solstice (Eastern and Western Caribbean). I don't remember what disembarkation group we were in (we were AQ if that matters)....

BUT...I just remember finding our luggage (easy) and walking past all the people in the customs line?

We just paid our bill and headed to the cab line.

Has something changed in the past 2 years? Why didn't we have to go through customs?

What's involved in self-disembarkation? Can we leave at any time?

TIA

Dwayne

You are legally required to go through customs; not sure how you slipped through the cracks.

With self-dismebarkation sometimes they ask you debark as soon as they clear the ship; other times they permit you to debark at your leisure. You are responsible for handling all of your luggage without assistance (and if you do not debark early the elevators can be crowded and you may have to use stairs or have a long wait for an elevator with room for your luggage).

We came off of Connie on February 13. You have it clear customs in Fort Lauderdale whether you self disembark or not. There are 3-4 lines, and ICE takes their time with the process. There is no preferential treatment for anyone once you leave the boat. In San Juan, the porters get their own line. Not so at the terminal that Connie was docked at. It takes about 20 minutes or so to clear customs, longer if they decide to inspect your bags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dwayne,

Are you asking because you want to book a flight before 11 a,m,? If so don't.

You absolutely do have to do both Customs and Immigration, In the last two years there has been a drastic cutback in CBP staffing making the process longer. It took us almost 2 hours on our last Port Everglades disembarkation.

There are a gazillion threads about self disembarkation. The only advantage is shorter lines to get to CBP. I don't recommend it unless you are only taking carry ons, and even then I don't recommend it.

Dwayne,

Are you asking because you want to book a flight before 11 a,m,? If so don't.

You absolutely do have to do both Customs and Immigration, In the last two years there has been a drastic cutback in CBP staffing making the process longer. It took us almost 2 hours on our last Port Everglades disembarkation.

There are a gazillion threads about self disembarkation. The only advantage is shorter lines to get to CBP. I don't recommend it unless you are only taking carry ons, and even then I don't recommend it.

Our flight is at noon. So we need to be at the airport by 10:45am?

Recommendations?

Dwayne

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you carry off your luggage and make it through customs, the line for the security check points at FLL can be very long on any given Saturday or Sunday. They were crazy this past Saturday. Give yourself enough time for that as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you carry off your luggage and make it through customs, the line for the security check points at FLL can be very long on any given Saturday or Sunday. They were crazy this past Saturday. Give yourself enough time for that as well.

Thanks....we are flying out on a Monday...so...hopefully it's better?!

Dwayne

The security check points are for entering the port, not exiting.