Booked 3 days ago, price just dropped.. what do I do?

jarz85

Hi, for some reason the search function isn't working on the forum.

3 days ago I booked a cruise on the Carnival Pride for June 2015. The only rate Carnival offered on the website was 'Early Saver'. I understand the whole 'non-refundable' deposit etc, but just checking now.. the price price has dropped by $30pp ($60 total). What I find weird is it is the taxes that have changed, not the price of the room.

Is there anything I can do to get the lower rate? Or can I only benefit from it if the room rate is lowered.

Thanks in advance!

3 days ago I booked a cruise on the Carnival Pride for June 2015. The only rate Carnival offered on the website was 'Early Saver'. I understand the whole 'non-refundable' deposit etc, but just checking now.. the price price has dropped by $30pp ($60 total). What I find weird is it is the taxes that have changed, not the price of the room.

I don't think taxes are a percent of the fare, they are specific figures collected by each specific port. Sometimes the taxes change after booking, and you actually may see a slight credit to your account once you get your final bill when you cruise. I've seen lines refund taxes that lowered, but haven't seen them collect the additional amount if the taxes increased between booking and sailing.

If you are booked Early Saver.....ANY rate you would normally qualify for (i.e. Past Guest, Senior, etc) you would be able to get that rate.....for the type room you have booked .

You will remain on the Early Saver rate, which is good because you can apply for price drops up to 2 days before you sail.

I believe the only rates you cannot apply for would be a Pack N Go or any other guarantee rate.

Hope this helps.....

Edited by GTO-Girl

My Pride sailing taxes/port charges changed also. I booked ES. I called Carnival to get my final payment adjusted for the decrease now rather than wait until sail date. Here was my thought process:

Yes, some say you will have that difference reflected as OBC when you board. Well, my cruise is over a year out. So, if the taxes/port charges go back up between now and then.. I've lost my $45. So, I had them make those adjustments now. The rep on the phone tried to give me the run around about how they don't adjust for port/taxes adjustments now, then it was the it will reflect as OBC. So, I asked to speak with her supervisor. This was yesterday, it took me about 10 minutes, but it's done.. and I have $45.... a couple of DODs. :D

Edited by headinsouth!

Is there anything I can do to get the lower rate? Or can I only benefit from it if the room rate is lowered.

Thanks in advance!

The taxes also dropped for us yesterday for our March 15/15 sailing on the Pride. We also have early saver. I called my PVP and he indicated to me(after he checked with Guest solutions) that it will appear as an onboard credit. Keep in mind that they can also increase.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a PVP through Carnival. I live in Australia and it's 2am haha. Should I ring up and get the price adjusted? If they say 'we offer it is OBC' do I ask to speak to a supervisor? I also believe in the whole 'if the price is lower, get it asap as it will go up again'.

The $60 is pretty much a free tank of petrol in my car!

Jarz... you should be able to call the Carnival number and speak with the person who answers. They should be able to adjust your costs by lowering your remaining payment.

MapleleafMama... I too am booked on that cruise on 3/15. I called my PVP and he took care of the adjustment in 5 minutes. All he did was verify that the price had dropped and credited my account, lowering the final payment. Interesting that we are all getting different answers on this...

But Mama is correct, they can go up just as easily. Take each lower price adjustment as they happen

Steve

Just an update...

I called up Carnival and spoke to a rep. At first she said the whole "if the taxes are lower at the time of your cruise you will get OBC". from your advice on here I knew I could get my final balance adjusted, so after getting put on hold 3 times so she could "speak to her supervisor" she gave me the good news that my balance has been adjusted and i got the lower rate!

Thanks for your help guys

Our taxes went down $29...I'm debating whether it's worth it to get our booking adjusted. We also booked ES and it's 529 days out.

We got taxes adjusted when we received a price drop. The drop in taxes was only about $7 so I didn't both requesting it. If not for the price drop and automatic tax adjustment at that time, I knew we'd receive the credit on our S&S acct. Actually, we did also receive a small credit on both of our January 2014 cruises so the taxes went down even further.

Grumpy,

All it takes is a phone call... Can I have $29 if you don't want it... :). And with port taxes/fees. They can just as easily go up. So, you may lose this potential gain if you don't take it now.

Steve

Edited by snc_cam